Quickly, our outing started to go downhill, like many of our outings do. It starts with Nur wanting to do something but being told no.
"Mama. I want to do more swing!"
"Nur, we just did the swing for a long time. Why don't you go down the slides and give Mama's arms a break?"
Insert a whine. A whimper, and then a full out cry.
I quickly intervened and did my "You quit whining Nur, or we will go home. 1. . . 2. . . 3. . . "
Nur quickly recovered and we went on playing.
Then it was the monkey bars. Nur loves me to help him climb up, and then he hangs there "like a big boy" until he falls to the ground giggling. I told him 1 more time, and then we had to move onto something else. (by this time, TT had lost interest in the monkey bars and had run off, and I get nervous with Nur doing them without assistance as he's not quite to that point yet)
Nur went on the monkey bars one more time, and I told him we were now going to try another part of the park.
Insert a whine. A whimper, and then a full out cry.
I again gave him the no whining or crying, or we'll go home. I started my counting. "1. . . 2. . .. . . "
"Don't talk to me Mama!" Nur screamed at me.
DONE.
I knelt down to Nur and explained that we don't talk like this, and that we are leaving. I'm trying to be consistent with my parenting. I'm trying not to excuse bad behavior and to follow through with my "threats." If I tell you we will leave a fun venue if your behavior is bad, I must follow through.
I tried to take Nur's arm, but he threw himself to the ground. He then started kicking and screaming. I told TT to get in the stroller, and I picked Nur up, and was holding him like a baby, trying to deflect his kicks and punches. I put him in the stroller, and he was throwing his body at me, and out of the stroller. I tried to just leave the park quickly, as we had quite the audience of judgmental eyes by this time, but without strapping him in, he continued to throw himself out of the stroller with his arms wailing. And he was screaming. Loudly. Non-stop. "Mama, I want the park. Let me down!!! MAMA!!! Park!!!"
I tried to buckle him in repeatedly, but he was being too wild. I could barely handle the strength of my 3 year old. TT said there, concerned, and patted Nur on the back. "It's okay Nur. We're going to go home." I finally had to grab Nur's shoulders and shove him back into the stroller, restrain him, until I could get his buckle together. He then screamed the entire way home, and the force of his thrashing got him out of the buckle once again.
We got home, and I scooped him up and put him in his crib. He screamed, and TT and I sat outside. I couldn't deal with it. I felt myself growing angry. Why would he act in such a manner? What have I done as a parent to make him think this kind of behavior was okay? I was angry at Nur. And on top of that, my wrist was starting to swell, and I was losing mobility. Apparently, as I tried to wrestle my 3-year old, I injured my wrist in the process.
Nur stayed in his crib for about 5 minutes, and then I went to get him. He was calm by then, and I explained that we do NOT act like that. He seemed to understand, but really, I'm not always sure how much these kids do.
This whole episode left me deflated and speechless. What had started as an opportunity to spend a beautiful Monday afternoon at the park with my kids, turned into an episode that made me want to curl up in bed and have a good cry. The looks I got at the park, the physical pain that Nur caused me, the lack of ability for me to calm him down, and mostly, my uncertainty of what I'm dealing with.
I know that kids have tantrums. I have a 2 and a 3 year old. I know this very well. TT has them a lot when she doesn't get her way. In fact, if I looked at frequency, TT has much more than Nur. But Nur's? They reach a severity I've never seen in a child. They leave me scrambling for a solution. I just don't know how to handle it, and I feel guilty for getting angry. I was so mad last night after this episode, that I wouldn't even look at my child. I had to walk away from him to catch my breath. Yet, at the root of it, I'm not fully convinced that this is something in Nur's control. In fact, I'm almost entirely convinced that I am dealing with a son who is undiagnosed. And if I have to throw out the ugly word, I will.
I think Nur is A-U-T-I-S-T-I-C
There, I said it. *shudder* I hate that word. I hate the behaviors and stigmas that are associated it. But lately, I am more and more convinced that this is what we are dealing with, and I'm scared as his mama and someone who does love him so much. Not only am I scared, I'm not equipped.
Nur has his final assessment one month from today. Through this entire episode last night, I was able to capture some on camera. That may seem like a cruel move, but I want something to show the professionals, and this is it.
18 comments:
Leah, I'm so sorry your nice outing at the park turned into a stressful situation. I say this not to discredit what happened but to let you know that I have seen what you described at the park hundreds of time. A child doesn't listen or does something they aren't supposed to and the parents leave with the kid kicking and screaming and having to be restrained in the stroller or car seat. You are not alone! I have been there too!! I remember when we left the zoo with LB screaming bloody murder because he didn't get what he wanted in the gift shop. It was no fun and I had to use a lot of force to get him strapped in his car seat. Autism is such a broad spectrum these days so I have no clue what falls under Autism and what doesn't. I think you were right to trust your gut and have him evaluated. But also, I hope you know there is nothing you did to make him throw a huge tantrum and there is nothing faulty in your parenting. I question those things too when Ez has bad days but truly they just have bad days/moments and they can't be avoided. (I'm saying this as a reminder to myself too.) I have felt that anger as well and it sucks. I hope you woke up today feeling better and that it is a new day! Parenting is so hard - sending you love!!
I am glad any parent has a child evaluated if there are concerns. I am a retired school principal and long, long time foster mom. Viewing the short video clip, I only see a normal little boy wanting what he wants at the park. He was very careful not to bump or touch your daughter. In my experience, she would not have been safe if he were truly out of control. Of course, there is a wide spectrum and again I am glad you have the evaluation. You appear to be a very good mother with darling children.
Totally relate. I have a few videos on hand as well, in case we get to the point where I need them. So far we haven't sought professional assistance, although I have started the process (hopefully there will be more) of taking some courses that I think will be a huge help. Our little guy came home at nearly three and started violent tantrums the first summer home, lasting up to 3 hours at a time on a few occasions, and very often more than an hour. I diligently and consistently applied time-outs and matter-of-fact intervention like ignoring and clearly stating limits as much as possible. Although, yes, my own angry feelings sometimes got in the way of being as therapeutic as I would have liked (first step for me: teach self not to raise voice before expecting same from my child. Ah ha). Eventually he became so violent and destructive that I had to begin restraining him.
I then followed up more seriously with resources by Dr. Karyn Purvis and later Dr. Gordon Neufled...I am loving the Neufeld stuff (and still use some of the quick tips by Purvis, too). It makes so much sense - Neufeld is a developmental psychologist who focuses on attachment and parenting/intervention that is concerned first with bolstering attachment and connection, creating safety, reducing separation, recognizing where intense emotional reactions come from, etc. It is not "attachment parenting"...but a developmental perspective based on the role of attachments in relationships and development (including maturation that includes development of self-regulation and so on).
I have stopped using time-out and am working on stopping the use of ultimatums, count-downs, and other methods that can induce a separation panic, etc., and find it works so much better with my little guy to prevent some of the huge explosions of rage. At least I stay a lot calmer and more focused on connecting through the incident.
It's not magic, and Neufeld suggests that behaviours won't change until maturity develops, which can only happen as attachment deepens...so a lot of it is riding things out and providing security and connection opportunities inside and outside of the difficult moments so that security increases in order for maturation to happen.
My little guy still has rages, and just turned 5, so he is getting bigger...but I hardly ever have to restrain him now, and I think the more connecting, less behavioural approach has helped. Now my 3 year-old (who was 1 when she came home) is getting into more intense tantrums - at least as intense as what you showed in your clip, sometimes worse. I hope with her that we can move through some of this stuff a little more smoothly now that I feel better about how I approach things.
My kiddos definitely have some risk factors for regulation difficulties and so on, and at times I do start to worry a bit about "what happens if they still do this when they're 15?"...but I suppose the only thing I can do now is stay on their team and do the best I can...
So hard, though. Rooting for you over here :)
I'm heartened to hear that you've moved forward with getting more information about your little guy developmentally. As an educator, my hat is always off to families willing to seek answers and address uneven areas of development. I'm a foster mom who's only ever managed one toddler at a time at the park, and even that can be overwhelming at times. I wonder if in order to keep both kids safe during an outing you would benefit from a second person- whether that be their dad or even a teen who works in a mother's helper capacity. That way, Nur and your daughter could both have the attention of someone who's following their interests. The concept of moving to another area of a place (be it a park, museum, mall, etc.) to keep taps on a sibling is so hard for kids at this age. In planning around the presence of another adult or young teen you would lose the ability to be spontaneous but you might also have an easier time having both kids enjoy the outing and also keep yourself safe.
Honey, you have done NOTHING wrong. And, if he is on the AS, then so be it. He reminds me a lot of Bobby with the tantrums... And it is hard when you struggle to handle your 3 year old. I'm there and it is so hard. I will say that, with therapy, things can get better. Bobby is 10 times better than he was, say 6 months ago and a different child than he was a year ago. Therapy can help with the processing that many ASD children suffer from. As much as it hurts you, it hurts them too... I know that, when Bobby realizes how bad a moment has been, he is so penitent and sad. It breaks me. I'm sure Nur is that way too. Sending you huge love and lots of faith in this journey. It can be a long one, but you are a great mom who loves her kids...
(But seriously... reading your story... it was like a day in my life sometimes, complete with Maya/TT trying to calm her brother and then sitting with me like "It's going to be okay")
Totally agree with the first comment. You, of course, know your child. But - an epic tantrum does not put him on the specturm. My son was a tantrum thrower. There were days I would have to practically sit on him to get him buckled in the car seat or stroller. I, too, would be very near tears about it. It is SO frustrating, but I daresay normal. My son is now 5, and rarely behaves this way. I THINK, because he knows I mean business when I tell him something, and somethings are not negotiable. Hang in there!
Leah, I'm sorry that you had that experience at the park. We had a similar experience at a park very recently.....my little guy was sobbing and screaming, and I was frustrated and angry with my little guy and with myself. I don't know when a tantrum is more than a tantrum, but that is good you are having him evaluated. Hopefully the evaluation can determine if this is just normal 3 year old behaviour or if it is something more serious. I think you had the right idea by trying to be consistent and following through on the threat / ultimatum to leave the park. Parenting is tough! As always, thanks for sharing. Heather
Hi, the title of this post caught my eye when I saw it on the blog roll at Scooping It Up. You know your son best. My son had episodes that were way beyond tantrums, and I learned he has post traumatic stress disorder related to his early loss and adoption (at nine months of age). Basically, when he is triggered (and he used to get very easily triggered by any transition, any sense of not being in control of what was happening to him), he went into fight/ flight mode. It looked like an extreme tantrum, but for him it required a very different approach. Just something to consider (and maybe you have already considered!) besides autism. The signs are extremely similar; one of my best friends has a son the same age as mine with autism, and it really does look very like trauma stuff. Good luck with, and don't let the judgmental staring people get to you. And your kids are adorable, by the way!
I want to support what you are saying...but I have to say that my daughter has thrown tantrums like I have NEVER experienced in life.
You know your child better than anyone, but this looks like something that may happen in my home as well. Sometimes I think if people were walking by they would think she was being tortured or something. When in fact she is a stubborn two year old sometimes. (and her behaviors are not everyday....more like once a week or every two weeks) Is your son doing this everyday or multiple times a day to this extreme?
Autism is a broad spectrum and I have taught many kids on the spectrum...just because a two year old has trouble transitioning more than another, it doesn't automatically mean that they are autistic.
I have three children and they are all different! From the way they react to change...from the way they potty trained...all different.
I'd say if he were 10 acting like that you could be concerned...but he is 2.
You are his mom, and I hope that you get answers, but trust me when I say, some children who act like this (and I have one of them) are strong willed and comparing behaviors between your children will only lead to you questioning your son even more.
Oh Leah, we all have moments where we feel like horrible parents for being angry and not being able to even look at our children. We all have to walk away from them sometimes because they do something that is just too much for us to handle. I think it is important to walk away in those moments too.
Mother guilt is awesome, isn't it?
I am sure that if Nur is actually autistic, you will handle it with the grace and composure you handled the journey to both of your kids.
You are a wonderful mama. One of the best, for sure. Always remember that, and especially in those rough moments.
*hugs*
My daughter throws tantrums very similar to that...you of course know your child but I wouldn't be so quick to "diagnose" him. Good luck to you!
It's a very good move to have caught it on camera. Kids normally act on their best behavior around the professionals. So good job on getting that! Had to be very hard to do that in the moment. Just have to say good for you for seeking help when you feel there is a need to.
As I was reading your post a recent article I read came to my mind. Sharing just in case you haven't read it and it might help. http://gobbelcounseling.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/trauma-doesnt-tell-time/
Oh Leah, I feel like we could sit down and exchange stories and theories about our little boys for hours on end. I think part of my struggle is that I am not a boy. I don't always understand his thought process. Either way- tantrums are not acceptable ways of expressing that and it's our job as a parent to help them understand that- and unfortunately they often don't learn the first time- but having said that- neither do I. :) I think you did a great job of handling the situation. The anger is real. It's hard. Parenting is hard. Hang in there!
I would like to second what Barb Aloot said... when I read this post, I thought: TRAUMA.
I just finished reading the top post up there, the one in which you mentioned your sweet boy's diagnosis. I understand the hesitancy to diagnose him on the spectrum due to the similarity between autism and reactions to trauma in early, early childhood. It's good they are being mindful....
In an effort to provide some comfort(??)... it is very likely that your son will respond to discipline/guidance in a very different fashion than your daughter ever well, all because of the trauma he experienced during the first year of life. You probably won't be able to parent your son and your daughter the same, just because of that (he probably has a lot more fear and higher reactions to stress than your sweet girl). It is not easy, and it doesn't come about naturally (at least not for me!).
I would like to recommend a couple resources that have proved extremely beneficial for my family:
http://postinstitute.com/
http://bryanpost.com/
Also, are you on facebook? There has been some incredible advice I have gained on parenting a traumatized child from other mothers in similar situations. Truth? Those groups have been the best resources for me... more so than any book I could read. Not only can these women relate to each and every story you have about your child and his struggles, but they have some amazing strategies that could help you out. If you are interested in those groups, let me know and I can invite you to them! I have chosen the "email follow-up comments" in case you would like more information....
Good luck! As a mama parenting a son who I was SURE would be placed on the spectrum, I want you to know that I GET IT. That these tantrums are not "normal" toddler tantrums... the intensity, the frequency... these are two of the primary differences.
Good luck! And I hope the folks who met with you and helped come up with an action plan can bring about some awesome results!
By the way, it was right when my son was approaching 3.5 that we started to dig DEEP... what we saw from him was nothing like what we saw from other children who had been born and raised in the security of their mother's arms. We had that "gut feeling" for forever, but it was right at 3.5 that it became OBVIOUS. I was scared out of my mind.
I have come back with more! I was just on facebook and read this update from a therapeutic parenting coach (Christine Moers) and thought about you immediately:
"Children DESPERATELY want to be understood, so if you just keep listening, they'll keep trying to make clear to you what they are feeling." - John Gottman
To me, this reflects my favorite reminder from Billy Kaplan - "All behavior has meaning."
I hope it's okay if I also say ... I hate this. Remembering this in the moment is difficult. Wanting to embrace it when you do finally remember it feels utterly miserable. Impossible. Maybe not for all parents, but for many of us...
...At the very least, look yourself in the mirror and remind yourself that you are doing a great job. This is hard. This is so hard. Our kids are trying desperately to speak to us, but we don't know the language. Learning to interpret it takes time. You're doing a great job.
Here's some of her blog posts on therapeutic parenting:
http://www.welcometomybrain.net/p/therapeutic-parenting.html
And here's a link to some of her videos (just look for the ones that start out with "therapeutic parenting" in the title):
http://www.youtube.com/user/christinemoers
And now I'll just zip it! ;-)
Post a Comment