Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Choosing what country to adopt from

As with everything in the adoption process, Taher and I had to make a decision that was best for us. We live in a very big world, but not every country in this world was an option for us to adopt from. In many countries, adoption is illegal, in other countries, you can only adopt there if you are a citizen. So when it came down to it, we only had a handful of countries to choose from. (Of course, if I were Madonna, I could adopt from any country, but I digress)

The most important considerations for us when choosing a country were cost, length of time before bringing a child home, age of child, gender of child, time spent in foreign country, and how a child from that particular country would fit into our family. For all of those reasons, we came to our country of choice pretty easily. I've been receiving many questions regarding some of these factors so I thought I would answer the questions right here, because in my experience, if one person is curious, many people are curious. :-D 1.

Cost: Adoption costs vary from country to country. Many people wonder why adoption costs anything, afterall, if a child needs a home, a child needs a home. The costs are for other things, such as court fees, visa fees, paperwork fees, agency fees. A large chunk of the money also goes towards helping our country of choice maintain and care for the children until they are placed in a good and loving home. How much will our adoption cost? When it's all said and done, I would say anywhere from $20,000 to $30,000. Ouch! But SO SO SO worth it.

Length of time: This varies a lot. It varies from agency to agency, and the time frame is constantly changing. The process can take anywhere from about 6 months to about 2 years. It's a long and grueling process, and I am sure my patience will be constantly tested. But in the end, it will all be SO worth it.

Age and gender of child: The country we are adopting from has boys and girls available for adoption. The age could range anywhere from 3 months old to almost a year old. This is another one of the unknowns.

Time spent in foreign country: Taher and I will travel together to meet and bring home our baby. We will probably spent a week or so in this foreign country, finishing up paperwork, and getting our child a visa to enter the U.S.

These are some of the reasons we chose the country we did. If you ever have questions, feel free to leave them in the comment section. I'd be curious too. :-D I was curious about all of this until I spent hours and hours doing research, reading books, and going to adoption classes. Now I feel very informed about the adoption process, and I'd love to share my knowledge with others. :-D

12 comments:

Jenny said...

very good post! i'm so curious as to your country though! but i ***think*** i know which one it is... if i'm right, we have friends who just got their referral for a precious baby boy from that country and he is SO cute!!! i look forward to getting to know you through this journey!!!

A said...

Are you going to say what country it is just yet? Will be praying the journey is smooth and short!! :)

Donna said...

Somehow in the midst of all the research you just "know" what country is right for your family. I'm so happy for you! The waiting a paperwork will certainly test every ounce of paitence youhave - but it is all worth it once you are holding your child in your arms. The whole time we were going through the process we kept hearing over and over - about how you forgot all of the waiting once you brought your child home. It's hard to beleive as you are oging through it - but it is 100% true. Thinking back on it now - it's like that 18 months just flew by. I can't wait to hear more updates.

Leah said...

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Feel free to email me if you want to know the country. I'd love for you all to know but because of adoption laws in this country, I'm not mentioning the country on this blog.

Thanks so much for the support.
:-D

Anonymous said...

Just shot you an email asking you the country. :)

I love that you are documenting the thought process to us. So many of the things you have raised in your first few posts are things I've wondered about myself.

I think it's amazing what you and your hubby are doing. :)
Kelsie

Michele said...

Whatever country you have chosen, I know that it is the perfect one! I cant wait to hear more and more!

Amber said...

That is a very informative post for those considering adoption.
I LOVE the blog template! Did you design it yourself or hire someone to do it?
I will add you to my blog roll and I look forward to hearing more about your journey! Whoo hoo!
Remind me: What state do you live in?

Amber

Elizabeth said...

Hey Leah!

Wow! You are going to be a mama! How exciting! I wonder . . . will you be expecting for 9 months? Or will it be shorter, or longer . . . :) And whatever age your kiddo is when you get to bring him or her home, it will be the perfect age. I really do not believe that a mom bonds any more with a child she holds the minute after birth than she does with a child that she has to wait hours or days or months to hold. (Speaking from experience . . . a different experience than what you will have, but experience none the less . . . http://bitsofsunshine.typepad.com/bits_of_sunshine/2009/01/4-years-old.html)
Anyway, I am really looking forward to following your journey! If you have a minute, send me an email and tell me a bit more? Like where you are adopting from and when you first thought you might like to adopt. :)
Hugs to you,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Leah, The waiting process I think you will do fine with. After all that you and your DH have been through, This wait results in a perfect out come. Heck! once you find out boy or girl, it will take time shop =D
Shopping for babies is so much fun!! even if it's a toddler that could be even better!!!!

Rachel said...

Hi Leah! My favorite adoption forum is on the Holt International website - they're not our agency but they have a larger forum that our agency does so I check that one pretty regularly. I'm not sure what country you are adopting from but if they work with the country you are adopting from it might be a useful forum to check out! Their website is www.holtintl.org and the forum link is down at the bottom of the page.

One of my friends who adopted from Guatemala used this site I believe:
http://forums.adoption.com. I have been on there a couple of times but have not spent as much time on this forum as the Holt one (and our agency one)

Sorry I don't have more to tell you about - I'll let you know if I find any other good ones!!!

Marian said...

It's great that you are posting such informative info. about adoption. Blogs are a great way for those considering adoption to read others stories. I look forward to reading more!

Unknown said...

Thanks for pointing me to your blog. I'm always interested to see why people choose domestic or international adoption. I'll be following your journey! (Thanks for the kind comments on our daughter...we agree she IS adorable!)