A parenting philosophy that T and I really agree on is regarding gender. From day one, it was important to the both of us not to "push" our children in any one direction. If Nur wanted to play with dolls, we were more than okay with that. If TT wanted to live in jeans and t-shirts and play with GI Joes, we were okay with that too. I have always had a strong belief that we are who we are because of inherent traits we are born with. Is it genetic? Biologic? A bit nature vs nurture? I'm not sure. All I know is that from day one, we have raised Nur and TT in a very similar way. Yet as they both get older, they are making it known to us exactly what they are interested in.
Exhibit A:
TT and her doll. She has been huge into dolls lately. Ironically, it started when my sister had a baby boy on September 1st of this year. Ever since then, we'd walk into a store and she'd run for the dolls and insist on carrying one until we left. (One particular store we went to, I was going to buy her a doll, and it was $40. Really? $40 for a little doll?) When we go to school on Saturday mornings, she runs for the dolls and carries one around with her the entire time. I was so happy to discover that TT actually owned a doll. A friend gave it to me when TT was born, and I hadn't brought it out yet cause she was too little. As soon as I brought it out, she and her baby have been inseparable. They eat meals together, she goes on all carrides with us, and they sleep together. And this baby, well, this baby has helped TT with her sleep issues! It's amazing! She used to scream when I would put her down at night, but now I give her her baby, and tell her that she and baby must go night night, and she holds onto that baby ALL NIGHT LONG.
Exhibit B:
And then there is Nur. When he got home, we put a stuffed animal (T's as a child) in his crib and soft blankets, and he wanted nothing to do with them. In fact, we have a video monitor on the kiddos, and it's so funny, cause when we put Nur down, he'll be laying down, and then he'll stand up, throw his stuffed animal and blankets overboard, and then go to bed. He loves to sleep with nothing in his crib. But trucks and cars, he is obsessed with! We have a huge window in our living room, and he goes crazy when cars or trucks or buses pass. If we go to a toy store, he quickly finds the trucks and goes crazy. He could spend his whole day pushing around trucks. He wants nothing to do with dolls. But he LOVES his trucks!
This is only one difference of many I've noticed in raising girls and boys, but I'll save the rest for another day. Happy Monday everyone!
5 comments:
That's funny. I majored in sociology in university, and for awhile there I was convinced that boys and girls are "boys and girls" because of socialization and gender expectations. But since leaving university and watching kids and babies with a more educated eye, I'm amazed at how many boys and girls are just naturally attracted to the things we "expect" them to like. I find it really interesting!
I love Scarlett's doll! My first daughter wasn't really into dolls. When my second daughter was born, she was all about them. But, they had to be babies - the bald ones. These were usually the least attractive dolls, but the ones she likes the most. My son (third child) is what everyone says is "100% boy". He has already broken his leg (not a proud parenting moment, but it was a very common toddler break that really doesn't require a lot of force, just the right twisting motion). I just think that each child likes what they like. It's fun to see their personalities develop!
My husband and I have talked a lot about this issue too, and it is so interesting. Since you haven't pushed dolls on S, it is interesting that she is gravitating to them. The whole toy thing and gender issues are very fascinating. Great post. Heather
What a cool post! Now I'm intrigued and can't wait to read the next one of other differences you've noticed over time. Very neat that they're gravitating towards the "norms" for their specific genders without any influence from you and T.
I swear Z came out of the womb making car noises...it is so crazy to me how different he is than my nieces!
I was totally gungho on the idea that nurture is stronger than nature, but having Z has shown me that there are some very ingrained traits that have to be biological!
Post a Comment