Thursday, September 29, 2011

Nur and His Words

From day 1, Nur hasn't spoken much.  As he got more comfortable around us, he would babble quite a bit.  Then a therapist started working with him and although she was mainly focused on his gross motor skills, she did work to pull words out of him even more. And little by little, Nur started babbling even more.

But I've still been concerned.  His therapist stopped seeing him in late May.  They didn't pass him out of Early Intervention completely, but they did say to take the summer off and we would revisit.  As the summer went by, Nur became more and more capable in his physical skills.  I really see no discrepency between him and other kids his age when it comes to physical ability.  But as the months have gone on, he hasn't progressed enough with his speech.  I know I shouldn't compare  Nur and TT.  They are two different children.  Two different genders.  Two different circumstances.  But I do compare them.  I like Nur to stay ahead of her on all development things.  Afterall, he's older.  But this summer, TT has totally surpassed Nur verbally.  I'm happy for her, but I've been a bit worried for him.

So today, his therapists revisted him.

It was found that many of the physical skills he does, are at the 24 month level, so he is doing great physically, and the therapist decided he is DONE with her.  However, they also noticed his speech delays.  At his age, a child should have 50+ words. Nur has about 3 or 4.  (if that)  They observed him in his environment.  He brought one of the therapists a book to read with him, and he pointed at the animals on every page, saying, "AHH?"  His universal sound that has many means such as, "What's That?" "Look at this."

The therapist offered a lot of interesting insight.  She thinks that Nur's speech issues are related to his eating issues, which are related to his adenoid issues.  All interesting stuff.  So, she is going to work with him on eating, using his toungue more appropriately, and trying to get him to express himself more verbally.

I love my state that has so many amazing resources.  I think this will all be great stuff, and really help Nur!



2 comments:

twondra said...

I remember the Ahh when we saw him. :)

I hope things work out wonderful for him!!! He's such an amazing little boy!

Melanie said...

The more I read about Khalil the more I think that Z and him are twins! ;) So glad you have so many great resources. You're such an amazing mama, Leah!!!!