Monday, October 3, 2011

Nur is 22 Months





Development
Nur has almost been home for 1 year, and it's so hard to believe.  He's just a different kid all together.  It's hard to believe that when he came home at 10 months, he was sitting up, but wasn't mobile at all.  He couldn't pull himself up or anything.  Now, he can be found running around the house or the yard.  He jumps and climbs things, he runs backwards, just for fun, and he is so physically strong. Someone who has become a dear friend of mine recently came to visit.  She had also met Nur when he first came home.  She couldn't get over how differently he was.  As she perfectly said, "Nur now has so much light in his eyes."  He really does. 

Nur's comprehension is also wonderful.  If we say something to him, he knows what we are talking about.  One of the things he loves to do is put TT's pacifier in her mouth when she drops it.  I'll say Nur, but Sissy's paci back in, and he gets so excited, picks it up, and plugs it in her mouth and they both laugh.

We have started working with Nur on drawing and he's pretty good at it.  We haven't figured out if he's right or left handed cause he's always switching hands, but I wouldn't mind my child to be a lefty like his mama. :)  He loves when we let him scribble on things, and often times he likes to hold a crayon in each hand and color with both hands at the same time.  Our fridge is currently covered in his artwork.



Nur still hasn't found his words.  I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and I think his inability to communicate with us directly affects his tantrums.  His tantrums are out of pure frustration.  He WANTS to tell us something.  To get his point across, but he still can't, and when we guess his need wrongly, his tantrum ensues.  I'm thinking about calling Early Intervention again to have him reevaluated.  He tested out of this in May, but I am noticing how far behind the speech aspect is. Nur will find his voice.  That I'm sure of.  For now, he babbles constantly, and often times imitates our sound very well.  Some of his favorite sounds are:
Baba
Mama
Dada
Papa

Food
Nur is the best eater ever, and has gotten so good at feeding himself, and will actually grab the spoon out of my hand so he can hold it and feed himself.  Some of his current favorite foods are:
Oatmeal
Animal Crackers
Peanut Butter Toast with Honey on top
Homemade chicken noodle soup
Spaghetti (or any pasta with red sauce)
Mac-N-Cheese
Yogurt
Applesauce

Nur is our easy child to feed.  He will eat what his mama makes him.  YAY!

Personality
Nur is very laid back and easy going.  He loves to cuddle, and be held.  Nur is no hurry for anything, and takes his time with everything.  He always gets things, but on his own schedule, and not anyone elses.  Nur is very kind to his little sister, but sometimes he lets her get her way too much, although he is starting to fight back a little and take back what is his. Nur loves to laugh, and has one of the most infectious and beautiful giggles I've ever heard.  Nur is also very sensitive, and his feelings can get hurt easily.  When something doesn't go his way, Nur tries so hard to be brave, but his bottom lip will come out and quiver, and it just breaks my heart. 

Nur has the funniest jog I've ever seen.  Taher and I have coined it the "Jovial Jog."  I tried to capture it on film, but a front view would have been better.  He almost gallops.  It's hilarious!



Things He Enjoys
Pushing trucks around all day long
sitting on T and I's lap to read books
Going for walks
Pointing out every bus, car, garbage truck that drives by our house
Pointing out airplanes in the sky
Playing outside
Snack time
Listening to music and watching You Tube videos
Running in circles around our house while giggling
Playing with markers, crayons, paints, etc
Puzzles

Things We Are Working On
Tantrums and unecessary whining.
Sharing toys
Verbalizing

Happy 22 months Nur!!!  So hard to believe that in 2 short months, you will be a 2 year old! Love you so much little man!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Your little K man isn't so little anymore Leah. :'( I know every mom isn't a fan of hearing that but he's growing and moving right along! I love how he's so into art already and that he loves his little sister. It's neat to see that he's showing more expression in his pictures now and that he's enoying life. You must be so proud! :)

Deni said...

Just catching up on y'all & all the goings on! This SLP is excited they are working with K on speech & think it's awesome that you are so aware. While no two children are alike, I think it's a blessing to have Scarlett as she helps you notice things with Kahlil (not like that's the only reason (:, obviously!!!). It's harder when you have no gauge at all to know if you're being paranoid, or too lax about it! Even w/my background I question all of Cala's development (well, not speech, but that's my field!!).

So my question, have you tried any signs with him? I've started them w/Cala (it's not at all effective yet!) but that could really help him to give you even single words (I always use spoken words with the sign). His huge gains in motor skills took all of his focus, which is totally typical & especially for boys. Now that those things are mastered, he might have time to 'bother' with talking ;) I got a baby signs book at B&N a few weeks ago, could be helpful for you!

Love their pics! Sorry for the novel, but at least it's only one comment post. :)

Melanie said...

My jaw dropped when I was reading about Khalil. He's SO much like Zander! He has the jovial run too- haha! And he'll eat anything- I mean ANYTHING. Thank you for sharing your pictures, video, and heart-warming words. So good to see Khalil have that "light" in his eyes! p.s- we're working on the whining too...;)

Melanie said...

My jaw dropped when I was reading about Khalil. He's SO much like Zander! He has the jovial run too- haha! And he'll eat anything- I mean ANYTHING. Thank you for sharing your pictures, video, and heart-warming words. So good to see Khalil have that "light" in his eyes! p.s- we're working on the whining too...;)