Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baptism

I remember being pregnant with TT and also expecting Nur when baptism was brought up to me the first time by my parents.  I had a very laid back attitude about it, and it hadn't even occurred to me, and perhaps we would do it, perhaps we wouldn't.  Of course that response was met by a lot of negativity by my parents, whom I love dearly.  However, they claim that this is my life and I'm free to do as I choose. . . but they should also preface that with AS LONG AS YOU RAISE YOUR CHILDREN IN THE CHRISTIAN FAITH!!!

Baptism is just one of the MANY issues that comes up when marrying out of your religion.  I know I've mentioned this before, but my husband's family is from Egypt and they are all Muslim.  T practiced Islam for the first 20+ years of his life, and in his mid twenties, he took a more non religious approach to life. With that being said, I can always find him reading up on Buddhism and/or spirituality, which I think is how he lives his life.

I on the other hand was raised Lutheran, baptized, did first communion, and all of that stuff.  I even went to a Lutheran College (and ironically enough, so did T) so I guess you could say I've been involved in the church, but as I've grown, I've also taken a different approach to religion, and I myself have become more spiritual in my life.

But, disappointing my parents isn't something I want to do in life.  And I knew how important baptizing Nur and TT was to them.  But I wanted to do it my way.  I didn't want to do it in a church in front of a congregation.  Instead, I wanted to do it in my backyard, and I was lucky enough that one of my very best friends from childhood was in town for a weekend in August, and he happens to be an ordained Lutheran Pastor and knows T and I very well, and agreed to baptize our children. I also wanted T to be comfortable.  Now, I am of the belief that most people in this life have religion chosen for them. . . and that choice is mostly based on where we happen to be born.  I think all religions are beautiful, and I didn't want T to feel uncomfortable with baptizing our children into the Christian faith.  I wanted him to be comfortable, and I knew that would most likely happen best if this was all done at our house.

The only people that attended were immediate family.  My parents, and Nur's Godparents who are T's brother, his brother's wife, and my oldest brother, and TT's Godparents, my sister, her husband, and my youngest brother.  We didn't invite T's parents, and of course there were opinions about that.  But they are Muslim, and however much we all claim to be tolerant of other's religions, T and I made the decision that they wouldn't want to be their at the Christian baptism of our children. 

Instead of going with the traditional baptismal gowns, both Nur and TT wore traditional Ethiopian outfits.



This is my immediate family.  My oldest sister, who has since had that baby that was in her belly, and my two younger brothers, as well as my parents.
It was intimate and personal, and I am so grateful to my very good friend who performed the baptism. I'm grateful that there are people in religion who are as tolerant and understanding as this friend of mine.

So, in August, my two 1 year olds were Baptized.  It was a beautiful ceremony, and ironically enough, my kids are exactly who they were before the baptism.  But it gave my family the reassurances that they needed, and perhaps when I feel bravely enough to bring my children to church all by myself, we will become more active members of a local church.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Loved seeing all the pictures of your beautiful family! One of my FAVORITE things about you is how open-minded you are. We live in a world filled with A LOT of judgement, and it's so refreshing to know someone who accepts ALL people and ALL beliefs. I don't believe it's our place to pass judgement. Keep your open mind- it's what makes people feel so comfortable around you!

Erin said...

So neat Leah! I agree with Melanie in that I also love how open minded you are about your kids, religion and life in general. Your pictures are great and I think it's awesome that your kiddos were baptized, in a comfortable environment and by a dear friend. Very cool.

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful baptism that worked perfect for your family! And good luck with the kiddos at church :) We take our 7 mo olf most weekends and it's starting to become a a bit more challenging!

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfectly suited to your particular situation and desires. I like the way you do things how you want them done and don't worry about other pressures, though I know you feel them.

twondra said...

You have a beautiful family!!

Congrats on the baptism. :) I agree that it's what matters to you and what you guys are comfortable with. :)