Everyday I get home from work, and I think, what the heck will I feed the kids tonight? When it was just T and I, I didn't stress so much. Afterall, we'd probably just order Indian, open a bottle of wine, or perhaps I would make ramen noodles and have a peanut butter sandwhich.
Yes, I DO NOT COOK.
Some of it's laziness. Some of it is I'm not good at it. And then some is when I do cook, I feel like I make too large of portions, and I'm throwing some out. And then another aspect of me not cooking is that T and I like very different foods and it's hard to find dishes we both enjoy. (case in point, one of the things I do know how to make is lasagna, and well T happens to be lactose intolerant. Hmm)
So, during the week, I always make a homemade chicken noodle soup for the kids. I realized I can by chicken broth and some veggies and noodles, throw them in the broth and I have soup. But umm. . . yeah, that's about all I can do. We spend A LOT of nights in our house eating soup.
My kiddos don't have a ton of teeth, but I know I can puree whatever we eat for them, only, most nights Taher eats a bowl of cereal, and umm. . . I eat. . . a cheese stick?
Yes! Must get out of this cycle.
Do any of my readers know of easy (I'm cooking illiterate) recipes that would work for adults and kids? Please please give me ideas. I did steal a couple recipes off a friend's blog and will be attempting echiladas and homemade mac-n-cheese. Wish me luck!
4 comments:
Bless your heart, lol - I didn't cook until we had children, and my kitchen was, uhm - a microwave.
Growing up, my mom mainly fixed pre-cooked meals or frozen meals (yuk), we rarely had fresh foods or salads. I wanted to do different for our children so I had to learn - and oh my did I make some disgusting dinners during my early attempts, one made my husband gag (traditional soured mushrooms over noodles) and he begged me to never make that again, lol.
I started to buy cook books with simple recipes ( before internet times, lol) in it, but since there's internet, I often just put a few items into the google machine like, "recipes with potatoes and chicken" and hundreds of recipes pop up.
When we had more children, and they are picky eaters, we purchased several cook books that have children's favorite recipes in it (they're all German), but this is something similar (i hope it posts on the comment section):
http://www.kidapprovedmeals.com/
Or put "favorite (simple) children recipes" in the google machine.
We, too have allergies and preferences in this family, which sometimes makes it challenging. I have to include Celiac disease, Milk intolerance and vegetarian into our diet.
Cooking can be much fun and once the kids are older, they can help with simple tasks as well, which they love to do (cutting cucumbers, bell peppers, stir the pot, etc). Plus, fresh meals are so healthy :-)
You will do just fine, cooking is not an art project nor does it require a masters degree :-)
You can conquer the pot!! lol
Post some pics on your blog of your first cooking attempts, it would be fun to watch ;-)
Blessings,
mel
Oh, girl I hate cooking too! I get teased for it. It's just not my thing. Mark helps out quite a bit and then when he makes meals, it's always "we want Mark's recipe"....nobody wants my recipes. :)
If you get any good recipes, let me know. :)
I'll email you a couple of easy ones I do! I love to cook, but I didn't when I worked full time! Who has time or energy for that??? But the crockpot is a good thing to use!
I don't cook either Leah and my husband and I also have different food preferences. I have learned that a crockpot is a life saver. Check out the group "crockpot girls" on fb. They have a ton of recipes that people share and can give you loads of dinner ideas.
Post a Comment