TT on the other hand, was blessed with beautiful hair, right from the start. She came out of the womb with thick, beautiful, black and shiny hair.
By the time I left for Ethiopia last October, her hair was starting to fall out. I heard that happened with newborn hair, so I wasn't concerned. Before I knew it, TT was almost a baldy, and stayed that way for about 3 or 4 months.
After a while, her hair started growing back. It grew back even thicker than it originally was, and perhaps a little lighter in color. If the light hit her just right, her hair would almost look auburn.
When TTs first spring came around, her hair even started curling in the back, which made me wonder if I was going to have a daughter with curly hair. T's family all has very ethnic hair, all very wavy. My siblings all have natural wave to their hair. And mine? Yuck. It's as straight as hair can get.
By the time we celebrated TT's birthday this past July, she had a head FULL of girls. Beautiful, tight curls. Oh, how in love I was with that head of hair. Afterall, don't we always want our children to be better than ourselves. I have bad hair. . . I was so grateful that TT has such beautiful hair.
This fall, I noticed that TT's hair appeared thinner in the front. And then T noticed the same thing. It was definitely thinner, but only right on top of her head. Everywhere else, was still extremely thick.
At TT's 15 month appointment earlier this month, I decided to bring it up to the doctor. I bring up a lot of things to TT's doctor, and he usually laughs at me (as nice as he is able) and tells me not to worry. I thought for sure he would do the same thing when I mentioned TT losing her hair. Instead, he actually took some concern to the fact. He moved her hair around, and noticed that she is in fact balding on the top of her head. He decided to do some bloodwork for us to test for diabetes as well as some autoimmune diseases that can have losing hair as a side effect. All the bloodwork came back normal, and he also referred us to dermatology, and unfortunately we can't get in until November 15th.
Unfortunately I don't have the best picture to show the balding, but trust me, it's there.
TT seems to be feeling fine, which makes me wonder if I'm really just concerned because I'm vain? I think it's more than that though. Her hair is falling out. That can't be normal, can it?
Her doctor did mention that if she only lost her baby hair on the sides that this could be her losing her baby hair on the top.
Some other theories I have are:
- When TT's hair started getting longer, we were constantly putting rubber bands on the top of her head to keep her hair manageable. Perhaps her hair was just too fine to handle the stress of that rubberband?
- TT is constantly playing with her hair, and at times, even tugging and pulling at it. Could TT be pulling out her own hair? And why would she do that?
- Perhaps TT has a hair loss disorder such as Alopecia. (Oh God. . . don't let this be serious!)
If anyone has any advice or suggestions or anything, I am all ears.







5 comments:
No theories here... she's still so cute!! :) And I'm glad you sent out that email, unfortunately things are so busy that if you're not showing up on my reader I sometimes forget to stop by. But it works out in my favor because I can then read a bunch of entries all at once to catch up. :)
Oh my goodness, I was so behind on your blog! I didn't even realize it and just thought you hadn't been posting. It was good to get caught up on everything that has been going on with you guys. Scarlett has awesome hair! I have always though that from the photos. One of my friends had a little bald spot in front and it would always flare up when she got stressed. She said she had it ever since she was young. There was never a diagnosis but she is fine and just learns to comb her hair in a way to cover the spot when it flares up. :) I'm glad all the tests came back as normal!
I hope it's nothing to worry about and just her losing more baby hair. Love her curls!!
I just assumed that your blog would show up on my reader like all the other private blogs I follow.??
No ideas. Z has had a "receding hairline" his whole life... :)
I have heard of kids pulling at their hair and it coming out and that being normal. I hope that's all it is! Her hair is awesome!!!! And my hair is like yours, so I'm hoping Cala gets Sean's hair!!!
Post a Comment