Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Entertaining Toddlers

I don't do well with idle time.  I know it's necessary, and once in a great while, I really enjoy it.  But for the most part, I like to stay busy doing "things."  On days we have no plans and barely leave the house, I feel like my kids are bored.  Perhaps they aren't bored at all.  Perhaps I'M board. 

As the weather turns colder, T and I are trying to keep our kids busy by doing fun things.  We are also trying to not keep them TOO busy, as we find when we have too much going on, they crash hard.

Here are some things are doing.

We do a lot of just playing.  T and I try to be engaging, and I can usually be found sitting right on the floor helping the kids put together a puzzle, or reading them a book.  Here is us playing this weekend. (Story to follow after the pic)

So, at my work, we have a rewards program.  Someone can acknowledge your good work and then you get all these points to spend on a website.  Well, I had quite a few points to use, so I decided to get the kiddos things that I would of course save until Christmas.  (Yes. . . I saved nothing and already gave them everything) Here is the thing. . . the descriptions on the website were very misleading.  I thought I was buying the kids a little push toy fire engine.  (Nur is currently obsessed with fire engines)  Nope.  I bought them this full sized motorized fire engine.  Oops!  We let them play with it for about 10 minutes this weekend, and then we hid it.  My mom thinks that kids who have motorized toys like this are destined to a life of being overweight. I don't think my kids are at risk of being overweight.  Not yet anyway. ;)



Over the weekend, we also brought the kids to the local zoo's event called Zoo Boo.  It was so fun getting them all dressed up.  They had a good time, and of course I ate all of their candy.







I'm not sure what we'll do with the kids on actual Halloween.  We are at this weird place right now where they are too young for a lot of what is available out there.  But I get too bored not doing something, so we keep trying.

Here are some more pics that fill our day.


I'm working on getting the kids used to eating at a table.  We still have them in highchairs, but are working on that transition.  They love their table and feel so grown up at it.


This picture was taken while Nur was in the shower with T, and TT was patiently waiting for her turn for a tubby.  TT especially loves baths, and this blow up bath quacks and TT thinks that is fantastic.


Our kids are still not interested in TV, but they love You Tube videos of children's songs.  This is what we do every night before bed.  Say what you will about TV watching for kids, these videos have really helped Nur and TT's vocabularies. 
The kids also have their "school" on Saturday mornings and that keeps us busy.  And on Thursday evenings we have swimming lessons.  I love this age of our kiddos, but sometimes I find myself thinking of all the things we'll be able to do with them when they are a little older.  Movies in a theatre, pizza/movie night, shopping trips, traveling, etc.  Then I find myself kicking myself cause the last thing I want to do is to wish any time away.  This time is too precious for that!

So, these are a few of our current activities. :)

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hey Leah. Your posts aren't showing up on my blog feed anymore?? Weird. You have any idea why? I was wondering where you went.

Deni said...

I think there is tv that is fine! Cala watches Your Baby Can Read DVDs every day. Sometimes it occupies her long enough for me to shower, sometimes, not so much! And she loves food network! Lol! She also lobes to sit in her bumbo on the kitchen counter (yes, it says don't put on elevated surfaces!) and watch me cook! I label everything while I'm doing it & she chatters and laughs! :)

I love the pic of you & K pointing different directions!!

Jewls said...

Oh man. We are going to go crazy this winter! We're starting a mommy n' me gymnastics class to hopefully help me from going crazy!

I love that blow up bath! And that fire truck looks awesome...I definitely wouldn't worry about your kids being overweight! :)