Monday, October 10, 2011

Cooking Attempt. . . #1

Yesterday when the kiddos went down for a nap I decided I would attempt to cook.  My hometown friend, Elissa, had posted an enchilada recipe on her blog, and I thought that was something I could handle, and perhaps even something the kids would enjoy.

So, I started with all the ingredients. 


When people write recipes, I don't think they always keep in mind just how stupid uneducated some people trying to cook really are.  You see, the recipe said to cook the chicken.  I didn't know how to cook chicken. The only way I had ever prepared chicken was on the frying pan, but I thought that would dry it out too much.  So, I called my mom and she told me to just boil the chicken in water.  Good to know!  I did that for about 15 minutes and it worked perfectly!

This recipe calls for green enchilada sauce.  T does the majority of the grocery shopping in our home, and he brought me this.

Deep down, I knew this was not the right ingredient, but I'm not going to lie, I did think about using it anyway.  But then I decided to quit being lazy and run to the store while my chicken was cooling off.  So me, in my state of being a complete hot mess, ran to the store.

The most labor intensive part of this entire recipe was cutting up the chicken, which was still pretty easy.  I cut the chicken into really small pieces with my kiddos in mind.

Then I put all the ingredients in the tortilla.  My friend told me that she fits about 13 in the pan, and I only fit 7.  I wasn't really sure how to roll the tortilla correctly, and I'm not sure if I bought the right size?  Hmm.  But here is what the dish looked like right before I put it in the oven.

And here it is right out of the oven.  Oh, and I had time to shower while this dish was cooking.


And how did it taste?

AMAZING! I seriously loved it!  So did T, although he suggested less cheese next time.  (He is lactose intolerant after all) 

Nur loved it, TT liked it okay, but she is the pickiest eater ever, so I was fine with her just liking it okay.

Some things I'm not sure if I did right:
did I roll the enchilada correctly?  Did I get the right size?

I will definitely make that recipe again.  I was very proud of myself and I can now add 1 more dish to my repertoire.

Be sure to check Elissa's blog for the recipe. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! What a success! Good for you to try and cook something. I'm still planning on emailing you a few easy recipes to consider. Good luck. Thanks for keeping us posted. Heather

Melanie said...

Yum- I'm going to make this too! And I don't know how to cook chicken either! A little "challenged" in the kitchen. ;) The enchiladas looked GREAT and so do YOU! Good call on the boiling, Mama Su!

Jewls said...

Looks delicious! I hate cooking, but I think I could handle that!

HazelmelHappenings said...

:-) Thanks for sharing! Had to giggle a bit, bless your heart.

You're on your way to be a Chef cook in not time :-) Your meal looked "delicioso".


Blessings,
mel

Let Me Not Forget said...

Nice work! I'll amend my recipe with your suggestions! :) I buy the taco shells (vs burrito shells which are bigger). I roll them tight. I also forgot that i put sour cream sometimes in with the chicken and bean mixture. But really... recipes are what you make them. There are lots of ways to make enchiladas. You did great making this your own!

Erin said...

Way to go Leah! That dish looks super yummy and your documented pics along the way cracked me up and added some fun to this awesome post, I LOVE it! I think the best part was having time to shower while it was baking, that's awesome! :)

Cristy said...

My husband makes something very simliar to that except he just uses mild salsa and we only get out six or seven of them. It looked yummy! We can't our 11 year old to eat them though.