Friday, March 18, 2011

Nur - 15 Months

Technically, Nur turned 15 months on March 3rd, but I wanted to wait to do this post until his 15 month doctor's appointment. 

Nur's doctor appointment went great, and sometimes I need to remember what Nur looked like when he came home in October.  His first doctor's appointment back in October, he was off the charts small in height, weight, and head circumference.  


Now, Nur weighs almost 23 pounds, and is in the 20% for weight, the 27% for height, and the 13% for head circumference.  Okay, I know these are only numbers, but I take such joy in seeing Nur doing so well.  He's growing, he's thriving, and this mama could not be more proud!

Nur is a happy boy, who seems to be adjusting really well to his new reality.  He laughs a ton. (check out the video on the previous post for an example of his cute little giggle) He loves to eat, and just recently, his first 2 teeth popped through! And by recently, I mean just this Monday! And these were his first teeth, so I was a little nervous at the lateness of them, but now, he's already starting to pop a third tooth out!  He eats anything and everything.  Some of his favorites are apples and chicken, sweet potatoes and turkey, and peas.  I also started feeding him yogurt and he seems to love that.  For snacks, his favorite are graham crackers and veggie thins. We also just recently got Nur off of formula, and are now starting to wean him from the bottle, and only give him whole milk through a sippy cup. 

This picture shows Nur's favorite place in the house. . . looking out the large bay window.  He loves watching the cars go by.  He also loves to crawl to the window anytime T and I are coming and going. 
 Nur is also doing very well developmentally. Especially looking at how short of a time he's been home! He is on the verge of walking!  He now lets go of things, and can stand independently.  The record we have timed is standing for about 20 seconds. . . unsupported.  He has also taken his first steps!  He walks between T and I, and the record for steps is 7 in a row.  Seriously, I think this boy will be walking easily by Easter. :)

Look! No hands!!!
Nur sleeps like a champ, and now we are transitioning him to one nap instead of two.  We put him to bed at night around 7pm, and he sleeps through the night, and wakes anywhere from 6:30-7:30am. 

Most of the time, Nur is a happy go lucky baby, but don't get me wrong, we have difficult days with him as well.  He is in this whiney stage, and T and I don't know what he's whining about half the time.  Adoption is difficult.  Sometimes we'll hold Nur and he'll just cry.  We don't know why.  He's dry. . . his tummy is full. . . he's being held.  Sometimes I look at him and think this is him mourning all he's lost.  Sometimes I think it's the pain of teething.  And sometimes I think he's just being a toddler.  I don't know. . . but I do know because Nur is adopted, we do psychoanalyze his cries. . . probably too much.

More good stuff about this wonderful son of mine.  He's sweet.  Really sweet.  He'll be playing, and then just come over to T and I to snuggle.  He also puckers his lips and gives kisses freely.  This boy is FULL of love. 
Nur is so ticklish. . . especially his tummy.  Nur loves to explore the house, and loves being mobile.  This boy puts on many miles a day!  He loves going on walks outside, and now that it's getting warmer out, this is possible.  Nur's favorite game is stealing his sister's pacifier, and then taking off with it!  TT tries to crawl after him, but he ends up pretty much doing laps around her.

Nur is very empathetic, and anytime TT cries, he starts crying.  Although sweet, it's also difficult having two crying babies at the same time.

His best friend in the world remains his sister.  These two love each other so much, and can cheer each other up like no other.  

Almost 6 months ago, we stepped off a plane and our new life as a family of 4 began.  We have good moments, and we have not so good moments, but we are learning as we go.  I still feel like I have much to learn about Nur, but everyday, we are working on bonding and attachment, and I know we'll get there eventually. 


10 comments:

Michele said...

He's beautiful and I am so glad he's thriving!! Great job Mama!!!

Erin said...

I love reading these updates on your beautiful family Leah! Khalil sure has come a long way since the first day you brought him home. He is such a handsome little boy. Thanks for sharing!

The Busters said...

He is doing so great! It was so fun to read his update! I think Ezra will probably be walking around 15 months too. They seem to be on a similar schedule with the teething and walking. :)I am so impressed with you and Taher! You guys really pulled together and seem to be thriving! Also, thank you for your note about the tb thing. It is good to hear that others have been through it!

Kimberly said...

Oh Leah, I love this post! I am so glad Khalil is doing so well. He seems so happy and healthy. The progress is awesome!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The picture with Scarlett is so sweet. It must be so amazing for you to think back on how far he's come in the relatively short amount of time that Khalil has been home with you. A true testament to all the love from mommy and daddy (and tears and frustrations, I'm sure!). He's given you so much and you've given him so much

AL said...

wow, he's getting so big!!! So amazing to read about how far he's come and how close he is with his sister. So sweet!

A said...

love the update! i am so glad he is doing great- you are obviously doing an awesome job as his mama!

Kim said...

He is adorable! So glad he is doing so well!

Chelle said...

He sounds like he is doing so well! I love reading this posts and hearing how far he has come since he has been in his new home. He is so sweet. I love the pictures with him and S. They are so sweet, and so blessed to have each other to grow up with.

Deni said...

Love reading your updates on your cuties!!! K is so adorable and his smile will surely melt your heart! I love the sibling pics--just pure cuteness!!!