Monday, August 8, 2011

All Over The Place

Nur had surgery on Friday to remove his adenoids.  His surgery was at a brand new Children's Hospital in Minneapolis, and let me tell you, they know what they are doing at this hospital.  I was nervous about the surgery.  I know adenoid removal is a minor surgery, but my boy was having surgery, being put under anesthesia, being intubated, and I was nervous! They let me carry him to the Operating Room and lay him on the table and hold his hand and talk to him while they administered gas.  Then they escorted me out of the room.  The surgery went great, and according to his surgeon, the surgery was completely necessary and a lot of tissue was removed.  Nur spent the weekend recovering and already has that sparkle back in his eye.  I cannot even tell you how brave this boy of mine is.  He is so brave and such a trooper.

Yesterday our family received some awesome hand me down toys from a family member.  One of the toys is this big princess vanity set that TT absolutely loves.  I didn't know where to put it, but decided to put it in her room.  T mentioned that he wished TT had a bigger room.  (TT's bedroom is our former office, and isn't the biggest space in the world, that's for sure)  For a moment, I also wished TT had a bigger room.  Then I mentioned to T that while in Ethiopia, I met a family of 6 who lived in a hut together, along with their animals, which included a cow.  And it was a small hut.  And this family was happy.  I got on my "soap box" a bit, and mentioned that our children have their own rooms.  A room of THEIR own.  They have closets full of clothes, shelves full of books, and so many toys it's ridiculous.  We are blessed!  Yes, sometimes we feel like we need MORE MORE MORE.  But we have SO much.  What is our obsession with things?  Haven't we learned yet that happiness does not come from possesions?  I want to learn to live more simply.  I want to teach my children to be grateful.  T and I though on these things for a long time, and we both realize that our kids' rooms needn't be bigger. 

My daughter turned 1 and also turned into a firecracker!  (Oh, and now she's already 13 months. WOW!)  She is going through a naughty stage.  Oh, how I hope this stage ends SOON.  Last week, she had one particular bad day.  She woke up from her nap crappy, and when I tried to give her a sippy cup, she threw it on the ground.  She wasn't sure I noticed, so when I was looking, she picked it back up, and threw it again.  Oy vey!  Then she hit her brother, and went into a timeout.  Then she hit me, and went into another timeout. Then she called 911, which I wouldn't have known except the nice 911 officer called me back to make sure everything was okay.  Is this teething? A growth spurt? Just a bad day.  Well, I love this little firecracker of mine.  She's got personality, that's for sure. Oh, and she insists on wearing scarfs and hats.  Who is this girl???  She brings me a hat almost everyday and insists on wearing it. 

I leave you with some random pictures of our summer.  We are having an amazing summer and I'm enjoying every moment of these kids of mine.  Even the naughty moments.










Hope everyone is having an awesome summer!!!

9 comments:

Erin said...

Aww...glad K made it through alright. My son had tubes put in his ears and had his adenoids taken out when he was about 5. He woke up from the surgery seriously freaked out and so they let me go back and hold him. He still had blood all over his mouth. The recovery took A LOT longer than they told me it would. He was dizzy and nauseous for about a week or more and also he started wetting the bed for a few months after (which I read that adenoidectomy is connected with bedwetting at night).

I can say that Viktor went through a similiar stage on and off for a couple months when he was just HORRIBLE. Come to find out, he was getting a crap load of teeth in!! molars can really make a toddler not feel good and they can react in different ways. You will get your sweet girl back ;)

Mandy Jo said...

Glad the surgery went well!!! I can't believe how big your babies are getting!~!!!

Paula Keller said...

Wow, I would have been nervous too! Sooo glad he is ok and recovering!

WHOA!! S called 911?!?!

Mine throw the sippy cups on the floor all of the time! It's so annoying! I think maybe it is just about enjoying watching it fall, but I'm not sure.

A said...

My brother had the same adenoid-removal surgery and tubes in his ears, too. It greatly improved his drooling/stuffiness, and he also came through the surgery just fine!! :) So glad you are having a good summer (hope S gets out of her fussy stage soon!)!

Anonymous said...

So glad that your BRAVE little man made it through surgery! It IS scary! You're brave too, Mama! And I LOVE your descriptions of your kiddos. You are so amazing! LOVE the photos too! Love, Love, and MORE Love!

twondra said...

Sooooo glad he made it through the surgery okay!

Just LOVE your pictures!! Sure makes me miss those kids and wishing I could hug them more. :)

jv726 said...

So glad K's surgery went well! But reading your stories about S and her sassiness makes me nervous about what is to come with my little one!! Good luck! :)

Chelle said...

I'm so glad K's surgery went well. That is scary as a mama. Even though you know it is routine, you still hate leaving your child in an OR.

I have days where I am convinced BB has been possessed and aims only to test my every last nerve. I think it is just kids being kids. The thing that makes up for those days like nothing else is when you put them to bed and they tell you they love you.

I can't believe how quickly our kids are growin up. It seems like it took us eons to have them, and now they are growing up in the blink of an eye.

The Busters said...

So glad K did such a great job with the surgery. He is definitely tough!! Have you noticed a difference with his runny nose yet? I love that you call S a "firecracker." It makes me feel like I know her. :) I laughed outloud at the 911 story. too funny!! That will be a good one to tell her when he is older.