Monday, December 5, 2011

Nur is 2!

On Saturday, December 3rd, my beautiful son turned 2 years old. 

We had a party at our house to celebrate.  We only invited immediate family as well as our good friends we met during the adoption process, and it's amazing how quickly our small house started to feel really small!

And just like Nur's 1st birthday, snow greeted us on this cold December day.

We woke up early (cause let's be honest, we are always up early!) and we let Nur open his presents from us.
"Reading" The Elmo card we got him

After Nur opened up this book on trucks, he was completely happy and didn't care a thing about another toy.


After presents, we bundled the kids up and headed to their first day of their new class for the winter semester.  I think I'll leave that post for another day, cause it's definitely a post in itself.

After naps, the first guests started to arrive, and the party had officially begun!

Nur loves cars, so I thought this cake was very fitting


After cake it was time to open presents! Oh my goodness, did this boy get A LOT!  With Christmas just around the corner, I don't think this boy needs Christmas presents this year.  He really got into the opening of presents, although I opened the majority of them for him.  Once he opened the first one and saw it was a bus, he was completely content to go on playing with his new bus.





Nur's good buddy B also came for the party.  Oh, we love Bso much.  And so do Nur and TT. :)

As a mama, I really look forward to special occassions that are dedicated to celebrating my children.  I plan and plan, and of course, the day comes, and things don't go according to plan.  Ever.  You see, Nur doesn't always do well in crowds, and this day, he definitely didn't do the best.  He whined anytime new guests arrived and a few times during the party, I brought him to his bedroom so just he and I could cuddle and he could read a book.  He just gets so over stimulated.  And to make matter worse, we have a couple relatives I could just strangle from time to time. (Sorry - that probably sounds harsh)  This one family member kept coming up to Nur when I was holding him, and getting in his face and asking what was wrong, and why he was acting like that, etc, etc.  Let me tell you, that is NOT what you do to a child.  Nur needed his space.

Overall, it was a great day, and as a parent, I wished Nur loved parties as much as I do, and perhaps he will some day, but at this point, it was very obvious it was too overwhelming for him.

I love this child so much, and cannot even believe that he's 2! 

Happy Birthday Nur!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Looks like fun! Levi has that same little people school bus. He loves it! I am so happy his birthday was such a happy time! Happy second birthday Khalil!!
BTW, Our foster son's second birthday is in January...thank you for showing me that his birthday can still be fun and exciting with just a small group of close friends and family. I was kind of feeling guilty that I wasn't doing a big party like we did for Levi's first birthday. But really what counts is that he is surrounded by people who love and care for him. (and also that he gets to open presents...lol)

Baby Hopes said...

So precious!!! Looks like such a wonderful time!!! Great cake BTW!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dear Khalil! He has come so far. Does your relative that was getting in Khalil's personal space have kids? It sounds like the relative could use a little more empathy and understanding with regards to Khalil getting overstimulated. Just keep protecting him, as you're doing, and he will eventually be better with the crowds. So glad you had such a great birthday celebration for him. Thanks for sharing. Heather

Erin said...

It's great to see how much Khalil is loved and how many people were able to help celebrate his 2nd birthday! Looks like he had a great time and received some fun gifts. :)

Jewls said...

Happy Birthday little K man! What a handsome boy he is! The present overload is intense huh? I'm already thinking about hiding some of Z's Christmas gifts and slowly giving them to him throughout the winter!