Monday, September 17, 2012

Updates, Updates

Sunday school went much better this week.  All week, I worked with Nur on his behavior.  Not sure if this was a parenting fail, but I actually went out and bought him some of the magnet trains that caused his bad behavior.  (I know, I know. . . )  But I wanted him to learn that sometimes things don't do what we want them to, and we don't need to cry about it.  Instead, we need to try again, or ask someone to help.  I also wanted him to know that sharing is nice, and that we can all take turns.  Oh, I was hammering in these messages, and they seemed to click, because yesterday was much more smooth. 

My youngest brother does photography on the side, and for TT's birthday, he gifted her with a photo session.  Yesterday we took the kids to the local rose gardens for some photos.  I always get nervous with pictures, because my kids (TT especially) can be a disaster when a camera is involved.  In fact, you can hear TT yelling, "No pictures" many times a camera is involved.  Well, the day leading up to photos was a disaster.  TT fought her nap, and then passed out on the couch for about 30 minutes, and then woke up in a terrible mood.  I got her looking all cute in a new dress, and then another proud mama moment, I popped a little sucker in her mouth.  We got to the rose gardens, and she was a ham!  Smiling for the camera, kissing everyone for photo opportunities.  Smelling roses.  Yes. . . adorable.  (And Nur. . . he was his usual upbeat self)  I think my bro got some great photos, although I won't know until I get a disc with them.  Shortly after the photo session, TT crashed, and the rest of the night was miserable.  But. . . we got the golden photos, and that's what matters!  Oh, and there was an Ethiopian wedding going on at the rose gardens.  Amazing!

We are starting potty training today! (Don't you love how I start on the day the nanny comes so she can do the majority of the work? I'm evil! HAHAHA)  I got the bathroom all ready.  We have potty charts.  Two potty seats.  Calendars. Stickers. A potty jar full of incentives.  I try to keep my kids on the same schedule.  This meant that TT went down to 1 nap before she was ready all because Nur was ready and I wanted them to nap at the same time.  And I have many other examples.  Well. . . The nanny and I have already been texting this morning, and we just don't think Nur is ready, and we don't want to discourage him or for him to feel disappointment in himself.  So, we are thinking about just working on TT for now.  I need Nur potty trained by the fall for preschool though.  I guess I still have time.

And these are some happenings in our household on this brisk Monday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the photo thing...those days are always the most stressful. I'm sure I add to the stress because I start to freak out when things aren't going as planned. And, without fail, those are always our worst nap days. Sounds like your day worked out perfectly - post pics once you get them. And good luck with potty training. We are kind of doing it, very, very slowly. I feel like I'd be better off just doing it in a militant way, but that is so much work!

Deni said...

You sound like me-we got the golden pics!! Haha! Good luck with the potty training.