Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Things They Do and Say

Nur.  "Mama. I'm the king of the jungle.  RARRRRRRRRRRR."
*************************

TT. "We go to church school today Mama? Play with Charlotte?" 
Me. "Yes, church school today."
Nur.  "No crying at church school.  Share toys. Be nice."

*************************

So, have you ever heard parents say that their child basically potty trained themselves?  You smile politely, all the while trying to keep your eyes from rolling back into your head?  Well, we started potty training TT two weeks ago.  In 2 weeks, she's only had a couple accidents.  She refuses to wear pull-ups, so we went and bought her big girl underpants.  She goes into the bathroom and takes care of business all by herself.  I've even put her in undies when going to school, and she has stayed dry, and asked to use the bathroom.  And the biggest success. . . we were on a 15 minute car ride the other night, and halfway through it she told T and I that she needed to go.  She held it until we got to our destination.  Now if someone could give me tips on how to get her poop trained and nighttime trained, we'll be 100% trained.

*************************

The other night, I was holding TT, and I told her I loved her.
TT.  "I love you more mama." 
Completely melted my heart.  And granted. . . she probably said this because she heard it in Tangled, but whatever, I'll take it!

*************************

At the playground last night, I told Nur it was time to go.
Nur.  "5 more minutes Mama?"
Well, I couldn't argue with his stellar negotiation skills.

*************************

Nur. "Mama. I born Ethiopia."

*************************

At T's Muslim parent's house last night, TT goes up to her Gidu (grandfather) and starts singing, "Jesus Loves me. . ."  I laughed so hard.  I'm going to make sure these kids are well-rounded.  At the same dinner, the call to prayer went off, and T's mom started praying.  She covered up her hair with a scarf, and TT was very interested in what she was doing.  I told TT that nana was praying.  TT put a napkin on her head and said, "I'm nana!"  We all busted out laughing. 

*************************

We have new neighbors in the house directly behind us.  Our yards are separated by a chain link fence, but TT has since discovered that these new neighbors have a little girl living there.  TT calls the girl, "friend."  Anytime we go to play in the backyard, if TT sees this little girl, but TT and said "friend" run to the fence.  The girl doesn't talk much, but the other day, TT told her an elaborate story.
"TT go potty toilet.  Then TT get big girl underpants.  And num nums!" 
TT was SO excited to share this with her friend. :)

*************************

2 can be a difficult age in so many ways.  The tantrums.  The bi-polar behavior.  The lack of listening.  And the list goes on.  But honestly, this is my favorite age so far.  I love watching my children become real people.  I love no longer having to guess what's on their mind because they now have the words to express themselves.  I love how many things they learn each day.  They are really developing little personalities, and I love watching them grow into the people they will be.

*************************

The other morning, T had to bring our car to the shop to get fixed.  I told the kids that Baba was going to get the car fixed.  The next argument had me rolling.
TT.  "Baba getting car fixed."
Nur.  "No.  Baba go to work."
TT.  "No Nur!  Baba get car fixed."
Nur, screaming at this point. "No TT! Baba work"
TT, getting visibly upset "Baba get car fixed!"
Nur, starting to whine. "No TT.  Baba getting car fixed."
TT, smiling, knowing that she won another argument against her brother.
Nur, sitting there confused as to how TT got him to change his argument.

Happy Tuesday friends!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the nighttime training. It will happen on it's own. You will notice that her diaper is dry.it can take another year until you can safely skip the diaper. If you use pull ups at night, be sure to use nighttime ones so they don't leak.
San Diego granny

Deni said...

This whole post is hilarious and I'm so glad you shared it! I most love TT with the napkin on her head! Don't you love the imitation!

Deni said...

This whole post is hilarious! Thank you for sharing!!!! I especially love the napkin on TT's head, their imitation is just hilarious!!

Elle said...

I totally love this age too. It is amazing to watch their little personalities form. And sometimes when they are being sassy, its hard to not laugh. I am definitely cherishing this time in my daughter's life.