I had every intention to be one of those moms who was on top of the baby book, with every little detail documented, and like many moms out there, I have failed miserably. When I was pregnant with TT, I would look at her baby book constantly, and be so anxious to know some of the details of her life so I could fill in the blanks of this beautiful book. Then she arrived. And I was too busy changing diapers, feeding her, rocking her, and keeping her out of harms way to even think about updating her baby book. I got a few pages in, and then I just stopped.
It's not like I didn't document anything.
I took a lot of pictures
I had a calendar in both children's rooms documenting firsts
I've kept every piece of paper detailing stats from their wellness visits
I've blogged about their lives
I've kept special artwork
I have an envelope from the first haircuts
So, I haven't failed entirely, but none of this documenting was up to my standards. So, I decided to create yearly review books for each child. They aren't cheap, but I figured if I did one per child per year, it wouldn't be so bad. (The initial startup cost will be expensive because I want to be caught up to their ages, and have barely even begun)
Last night after my angels went to sleep, I sat on the couch next to T as he did some work, and I created TT's year in review book. It is 20 pages long, and starts on the day she was born, July 6, 2010. It shows pictures of what her life was like the first year, and some things that she was doing. It doesn't go into details, such as, On October 1st, you sat up for the first time, etc, but it does give her a good idea of how her first year was spent. I think this is something my kids will really enjoy someday. My mom wasn't much of a documentor (perhaps it was because she was busy raising 4 kids) and I know I would enjoy looking back on my life in detail. I hope my kids enjoy it to.
I wanted to show ya'll a preview of the book, but I'm having issues uploading pics from blogger.
Happy Thursday!
2 comments:
Leah, you have not failed miserably!! There are many ways to document, and a traditional "baby book" is just one way. I think with this blog, you have done an exceptional job of documenting Nur and TT's lives, their personalities, etc. I think it is important to just keep some type of record, and between the stuff you have kept, this blog and your new year in review book, you are doing an awesome job! Don't feel pressure to put it all in someone else's format (i.e. baby book). However you keep and preserve those memories will be special for your children. As always, thanks for sharing. Heather
What did you use? Shutterfly? Look forward to seeing it. I made Emma and Kate a first year book on Shutterfly, and then one for Emma's 2nd year, too. Now I think I'll make a joint one each year for them. And I echo the previous comment that you have done a really great job, through this blog, capturing all the sweet memories. There must be a way to print out a blog and make it into a book, right?
Post a Comment