Monday, May 23, 2011

Add This To The List

My kiddos have survived their first tornado.

T's parent's got to our house yesterday around 2:15pm as they were going to watch our kids for a few hours while T and I attended a wedding.  Our kids were sleeping soundly, T and I were about to head out the door, when the tornado sirens went off.  Okay, I should have panicked a bit more than I was, but this was the 3rd time the sirens went off in a week and no tornadoes had come, so I didn't think this time was any different.  I decided to turn on the television anyway, and of course seeing that I have satellite, no channels came in.  Luckily, my sister who lives in another neighborhood called me to let me know that the tornado was headed my way.  Thank goodness for sisters who are looking out! 

T and I got the kiddos who were sleeping in their cribs, and brought them downstairs into the basement (seriously, all houses should have these), where we got on the internet and watched the storm.  We hadn't been downstairs for 30 seconds when I could see through a small window that it got orange outside, before turning pitch black.  Before I knew it, it sounded like a train was going down our street, and I kept hearing these popping noises, and I'm still not sure where that was from.  But it was loud popping noises, almost like a gun going off.  10 seconds later, it was quiet outside, and the sun came out. 

According to the new's reports, the closest tornado touched down half a block from my house.  There were many trees down, and debris everywhere, but my house, and many others in my neighborhood were completely untouched. 

Parts of Minneapolis have been closed off to the public, and for the most part, my neighborhood is just outside that area luckily. . . although they did close the exit/entrance ramps to the highway by my house, making it hard to get to and from work.  Here are some pictures.


My thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by this storm, and also with all the people in Joplin, MO, and the people still cleaning up from the storms in Mississippi. We were closer than I would have liked to have been, and let me tell you, having kids makes this mama even more nervous about these types of things.  Praying for all the people who lossed loved one, homes, and all those affected in any way by these destructable storms.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I heard about the tornados in Minneapolis, I thought of you and wondered if you were impacted. I'm so glad that your family and your house are fine, but that is scary that the tornados were so close to you. It is very sad for all the people impacted. Glad you are okay. Heather

Erin said...

Whoa!! how scary. I have a basement too and feel so much safer.

A said...

wow, i am so glad you were safe!!! joining you in prayer for those who were hurt or lost belongings in the storms

Mayme said...

Glad you guys are okay!

Lyndsay said...

Yikes! Glad you're okay Leah!

Brittany Ann said...

I am so glad you all are OK.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're all ok! Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.

Alissa said...

So glad to hear that things are O.K. at your house! Dave and I were thinking of you and your family on Sunday, and were pretty worried when we saw how close it came!

The Busters said...

So glad you guys are okay!! I don't think I realized that Minnesota got tornados. Not sure why I thought that! We had some severe storms go through here last night and I know what you mean about having kids increasing the anxiety. I was watching the news all night to make sure we didn't need to go get E and go to the basement!!!

Kimberly said...

I am so glad you are okay! It's so sad about the tornados.

twondra said...

I thought of you right away when I heard about the tornado. DIdn't realize it was so close to you. :( Glad you guys are okay!!

Trinity said...

I thought about you when I heard about this, Leah. I am so, so relieved to hear that your fam is a-ok. Such a scary thing, indeed.(I, too, feel so fortunate to have a basement!)

Wendy said...

How very scary. I'm glad you were safe but that must have been awful. Those pictures are just terrible. Hope they are able to rebuild and clean things up soon...

Kelly said...

So, so scary. I'm glad you are all safe and unharmed. ((HUGS))