I was a single mom for about 5 days. T was in London with his job, and I was mostly alone. It was an experience to say the least. He left Wednesday afternoon, and when I got home from work on Wednesday, the silence was deafening. Okay. . . it wasn't really even quiet. I had a 17 month old and a 10 month old being PLENTY loud, but I definitely felt the silence if T. I cried. . . I had my little pity party, and then I got over it and realized it was only for a few days, and I'd survive.
There were challenging moments, but mostly wonderful moments
Challenging:
I had to make a Targ.et run. It was necessary. Okay, the truth. . . I made 2 Tar.get runs while T was gone. The first time, I brought the double stroller. It made things easier, but it's such a hassle hauling out of the car, getting the kids in it, and then folding it back up to put in the trunk when I'm done. So the second trip of the weekend I decided to be brave. I carried both kids into Target, put Nur down so I could strap TT in, and Nur dashed. Thank goodness for a nice Tar.get employee who helped me. Whew!
Bedtime. Usually T and I both take a child at bedtime. Doing two myself was challenging. I would put both kids on my lap and read a book. The problem is, is Nur LOVES being read to and TT LOVES to eat the books. Nur would get made at her and bop her on the head, TT would then bop him on the head, and I felt like TT was getting jipped out of enjoying story time.
Feeding time. Yes, feeding two babies at once is not easy. Nur is especially impatient when it comes to food and he literally screams when I would take a 5 second break to feed his sister. Whew.
Mobility. Both my kids are mobile now. Nur is practically a running man, and TT is pretty quick at crawling. They would both go in different directions, and in just a blink of an eye Nur was playing in the cat's water, TT was dumping the cat's food all over the floor, TT was bumping her head on the wall, Nur was dumping the humidifier, TT was going right for the electrical outlets (that we do have covers for but these particular ones have something plugged into it), Nur was trying to climb stairs by himself, TT was playing with our PS3. Yes, these children are QUICK and it's like they have radar of exactly what they ARE NOT supposed to touch.
For the past few days, I could be seen around town with a baby in both hands. I learned how to open the front door while holding two babies, make a bottle while holding two babies, go to Nur's Litt.le Birds while holding two babies.
Mostly my few days as a single parent were wonderful wonderful moments.
We had fun! I took a little time off work while T was gone so I could be with the kids, and not worry about having to gte myself ready for work in the morning while watching Nur and TT. I absolutely loved every moment with these two. They are both wonderful children. Their smiles light up a room, they loved having me home, they loved all the attention from me, they love spending time with each other. It was also like they were both on their best behaviors knowing T was gone and I was going at it alone.
Someone said to me on Sunday that I must be very excited for Monday morning to come. Well, here it is, Monday morning, I'm sitting in my cubicle, and no, I am anything but excited. TT screamed as I walked out the door this morning, then both TT and Nur waved as I drove away, and as hard as being a Mom is, there is no where I would rather be than at home with my kids, full time. Maybe someday that will be my reality, but today my reality is my desk job, and wondering what the kids are up to as I create spreadsheets and such.
I am so happy to have T back, and I continue to be in amazement to those that single parenthood all the time. Or those that stay at home with multiple children. I admire all of you. :)

8 comments:
I am in total awe!!! I have a hard time keeping up with just Ez now that he is totally mobile. I was smiling at all
the things they are getting into because Ez is the same.He currently loves this plant that we have and likes to dig in the dirt. It is an indoor plant and Damon has had it forever and won't let me put it outside because he doesn't want it to die. sigh. :) And oh the outlets are another favorite. When we had our dog he was also obsessed with her food and water. Too funny! I am glad T is home!
Hey Leah!
Oh my gosh, I can somewhat relate! I took Lleyton out for the first time to the grocery store on a "trial run", as it was a must do so that we didn't starve. Just getting his carrier out of the car was a challenge and then to shoppe...and he was asleep! Timing is everything these days and I am overwhelmed. And exhausted, but incredibly blessed.
With all this said, I know you are glad T is home. An extra set of hands makes all the difference :)
Thinking of you always!
Andrea
You did a great job. I agree with you being alone with two is very difficult. My heart breaks for you having to go to work and leave your babies. I have three and stay home with them. I feel lucky. Hang in there maybe your situation will change. Being a mom is hard, but being a mom who would love to stay home and has to work is very, very hard. God Bless you for doing the hard thing!
Wow. One brave Mama. It tires me out chasing one child around, I can't imagine how exhuasted you must of have been. Way to get throught it!
I could NEVER be a single parent! Bless your heart during that time! And Ry sits in a cubicle...he feels your pain.
so glad to hear you survived without him and Im so with you. I always said I dont know how single parents of kids do it.
Oh this post makes me chuckle. I have always been so glad I had a singleton. I have coworkers who have twins, and I don't think I could do it. I'm amazed you aren't a walking zombie. Even though you probably got your usual amount of sleep, running after ONE kid all day long is tiring. I bet two just put you under the table.
But you are so right, there is nothing like being a mom. It is tough, but so very, very rewarding.
When Brian was in Iraq my heart really broke for single Mothers. I really would like to find a way to reach out. Right now with young kids at home, that's tough, but it's my goal in the future to really get involved to help single Moms. At least I had a steady income from Brian while he was deployed even if I didn't have the physical or emotional support. I can only begin to imagine!
Glad T is home safely and that it's the weekend again and you can enjoy it as a family!!!
Post a Comment