Nur continues to be the most loveable 3-year old there ever was. He is just a great child, with a big and kind heart. He is an amazing son, and an amazing brother to TT, and everyday, I'm grateful for the opportunity to be his mama.
I finally got the call yesterday that Nur's number was up for extensive autism testing. When I originally called the place that comes highly recommended in this city, I was told 5-7 months was the current waitlist. That amount of time seemed like forever to wait, but Nur will have his testing done in the middle of June, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get him in fron of some great specialists for an evaluation.
When I share with people who know Nur that we are getting him tested to see if he is on the autism spectrum, I am usually met with people telling me there is no way he has autism. Perhaps they are right, but I can't get it out of my mind that there is something going on with him. I also think the majority of people have a certain idea of what autism is, which is why it is hard for them to believe that Nur is on the spectrum.
I want to be clear about something, the autism spectrum is wide, and it ranges from high functioning to low functioning. "Autism is a spectrum disorder, which means that symptoms and characteristics present themselves in a wide variety of combinations. Related disorders include Asperger's disorder and Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specific (PDD-NOS)."
Of course I hope Nur meets with the specialists and I find out that he is not on the spectrum and that certain behaviors he exhibits are normal, 3-year old behaviors. But as his mama, I need to follow my instinct that is telling me he needs to at least be evaluated, and then we'll go from there. I've never been a person scared of the truth. I personally want to know what's going on, and especially with this type of thing, where early intervention is best.
Nur is a very smart, kind, behaved, and loveable child. And whether we find out he's on the autism spectrum or not will no change this. What it will do however, is give us, and especially Nur, the tools needed to thrive in this world.
And hey, these specialists may tell me Nur is not on the spectrum. I will say, I will be very surprised if that happens.
6 comments:
I think you are doing the right thing by having him tested. My 13 year old is on the spectrum but pretty high functioning that most people currently don't think it's autism. But in my heart..if autism isn't curable then he is still on the spectrum. I do have it easy compared to some of the other people that I have gotten to talk to when I went on a retreat for special needs Mom's. Early intervention is the best for him. Even if he isn't on the spectrum he may qualify for some services to help him along the way.
Why wouldn't you want all the resources available for your child? I know there are some people who don't want to believe weakness or suffering or problems for those they love. Maybe I just have ice in my veins, but I think if you love someone, you embrace the whole truth - whatever it costs them or you. What else is love?
I think it's great you are being pro-active!! Sending you good thoughts!!
You have to do what your gut and heart tells you to do. No harm at all is done by getting him before a specialist. Can't believe the wait is that crazy long! As I think I've said before, I have a niece and nephew who are both on the spectrum and are getting some extra care.
I agree... better to be tested than not. We were told too that Bobby just couldnt be autistic. When the results came back, they shocked everyone... except us. We werent expecting an ASD but at the same time, knew something wasnt typical. Therapy has made a world of difference in the behaviors that had us worried. Bobby, like Nur, is a perfect little boy; but knowing how to help these perfect little guys reach their full potential is something we all need to do, regardless of the label.
Oh Leah, I'm just getting caught up on blogs and I'm so sorry to read this. Although your attitude is amazing and I think you're so strong. I hope and pray the tests don't show he's on the autism spectrum or very low.
Many hugs. Even if there is a diagnosis I know you as a very strong woman and mom and I know you'll take it with such positivity.
Post a Comment