Sunday, January 29, 2012

Adult Space

I'm not going to lie. . . I'm a bit OCD about clutter.  As in. . . I hate it.  And well. . . kids accumulate a lot of stuff, and from day one, I was adamant that my house not look like I ran a daycare for 10 children.  It's an on going struggle, and most days I lose.  But for the past few weeks, I've really been focused on organizing.  Most of our toy boxes are in the kids' bedrooms, as well as their big fire trucks, and baby strollers, and train sets.  Nicely organized in their rooms. . . and I'd show if they weren't both napping.

But the living room?  Well, I'm taking this space back.  Sure, when they are awake we can use this as a play area, but then when we're done with that particular toy, it goes, "bye bye."

My living room. . .



It's not void of toys. . . There just aren't many.  Of course, I do have this lovely whicker basket. . . apparently that people buy for laundry, but for me, it houses many toys.


And because it's 5:00 somewhere, don't mind if I do!  (As I catch up on blogs of course)



6 comments:

Erin said...

Oh Leah I am so OCD about things and I can't stand clutter either. I'm not a mommy yet (hopefully soon) but when I am there will be a "no toys" rule in certain rooms of our house for sure. Luckily we have a full finished basement with a bedroom which will be a playroom at some point so when they're toddlers I'll probably have to deal with toys in the "adult space" but once they're old enough to play on their own the toys must remain in the play room. I LOVE your wicker laundry basket in the living room to hide the toys, very decorative and perfect for the current contents. I will be using that idea when the time comes in our house too. ;)

Sarah J Slover said...

I am OCD about clutter too, but it's not the baby I have trouble with. Her toys are mostly in her room and we also keep a basket in the living room (I need to get a bigger one). The one I have trouble with is the hubby...and his messes are bigger and harder to clean! Ugh! He makes up for it by being super handy with fixing things and loving me just as I am. :)

Jewls said...

After Christmas I said, "Enough is enough!" I moved all of Z's toys into HIS room and took back my living room. It's pretty crowded now because I had to move the recliner out of his room to make space for the toys but I LOVE IT! It's so nice just shutting his door during the day and not having to stress about the toy mess until bedtime!

Looks great!

Kimberly said...

I feel the exact same way!! I am so glad my kids have a playroom. However, lately toys have been making their way into the living room and I can't stand it! I am always moving them out of the way.
It also stresses me out when I leave my hubby with the kids and I come home and stuff is everywhere! (But that's an entirely different story for another day! LOL)
Love the pictures! Looks very relaxing!!

Deni said...

I'd like to know if it's 5:00 yet?!? Teething-boo! I hate the clutter too and right now I'm staring at C's swing, exersaucer, playmat, jumparoo, and chair--UGHHH! The swing is history today during naptime. She doesn't use it anymore. I discussed with hubby this week making our "game room" her play room. He thinks we need to "discuss" it. Done--I can't stand the clutter and our living room floor is brick, she is gonna break her skull on it! :/

Lauren said...

Oh how I wish I could have a toy-less living room. I actually think my biggest barrier to creating a clutter-free house is my husband. I love him dearly, but he NEVER cleans up after he plays with Noah! It gives me major stress when I go into our downstairs living room (we have two) and it's TRASHED after they play. He seriously never tidies it back up again.

(I keep forgetting to check your blog now that you're private!)