When I left the Mayo Clinic on Friday, I had a feeling that this wasn't the last time this particular doctor would think of S and try to get to the bottom of what's going on. Giving the diagnosis of Androgenetic Alopecia on a 1 year old is unheard of. In fact, I don't know if there are any documented cases of it ever happening. And with that diagnosis, it makes the hairloss almost a symptom of something bigger. I had the feeling that the doctor cared, and that she would be following up on this. I had that same impression from the Endocrinologist we saw at the UofM. She called my house the next day and said she couldn't get S out of her mind. Doctors love a challenge, right?
Yesterday as I was sitting at work, I got a call from the doctor at the Mayo Clinic. She started off by saying not all the bloodwork has come back yet, but what has come back is all normal. This is all great news! She then said that after she met TT on Friday, she consulted with a doctor in her department who is one of the leading experts on hairloss in children. Dr. T (This leading expert doctor lady) was stumped. She looked at the pictures of TT and was unsettled by the diagnosis of Androgenetic Alopecia. She decided to consult with some of the leaders in this topic in the world who practice out on the west coast. She shared TT's picture with a group of doctors out there, and all of these physicians were very interested in TT's case. After reviewing the pictures as well as the tests that have been done on TT, they called the doctors at Mayo to say that they thought it was another form of Alopecia called Alopecia Areata. In the last few months, I've become quite the hairloss expert, and there are many forms of hairloss, and there are also many forms of Alopecia. Alopecia Areata (AA) is the most common type of hairloss in children, but it usually presents itself much differently. This is the more common look of children with AA.
The bald spots this condition cause are usually complete baldness. TT's hair is more thinning. Again, a pic of TT.
TT doesn't have complete baldness. In fact, I can see why 2 doctors thought Androgenetic Alopecia. It does follow the same pattern as many with male/female pattern baldness. But again, my daughter being 1, if the Androgenetic Alopecia diagnosis was correct, than more likely than not, something more serious was causing this.
The Mayo Doctor explained AA to me, and said that TT presents differently than any child she's ever diagnosed with this. She prescribed me a topical steroid and directed me to put it on the affected area twice a day, and that most children see improvement in 8 to 12 weeks. She said that she doesn't know how TT will react to it because nothing about TT's case has been normal.
The diagnosis of AA was a relief to me. It is much more common in children, and it rules out some of the scary stuff that was being discussed with me, such as hormonal tumors, adrenal system issues, etc. And now TT is just a child who has AA, instead of being a child with Androgenetic Alopecia, which is probably more like 1 in a million. And, there is a safe medicine for AA. Whether it works or not is still to be seen, but at least there is something out there. And some children with AA, the hair grows back on it's own. Where again, if this was truly Androgenetic Alopecia, the hair would be gone. . . forever.
I just want to add that the Mayo Clinic is not paying me for their endorsement. Ha. :) I'm just so impressed with them. The doctor we saw Friday was wonderful, but she was stumped. She consulted with another Mayo doctor before going to world experts in this field. It is that kind of attention that makes me feel like I'm in the best hands possible.
I'll go back to Mayo in about 6 weeks to see this Dr. T woman who is a leading expert in the field. I'm hoping we have some new growth by then.
I also want to add. . . at the end of the day, if TT loses her hair, but has no life threatening disease, I consider myself very lucky. Doctoring these past few months, you see some very sad situations at the children's hospitals we have visited. If this is the worst medical condition we deal with in our family, I will consider us all VERY VERY lucky.


11 comments:
I'm sure all the uncertainty is so tough for you. But it's pretty cool that you have the world's leading experts on this working on the case. Sending a hug to you and sweet Scarlett.
I'm glad you've found such dedicated, thorough doctors!! Hang in there mama!
So glad you have such a wonderful group of doctors that are interested in S's case!! And I know what you mean about going to Children's Hospital and getting perspective. It's so sad. I really hope this steroid helps S!!
For some reason, about 20 of your posts just showed up in my Reader, which I'm glad for, because I hadn't remembered to check in for so long! I'm so sorry to learn what you've been going through with trying to figure out the hair loss. It sounds like you've got an encouraging lead here - I hope this is the answer and the magic ticket!
I haven't been getting updates for your blog - not sure why - but I just read a few of your posts about S. I'm glad to hear that some of her bloodwork has come back in and it's normal - that's good news.
You mentioned that the doctor prescribed a steroid cream - can I ask - how will that help? Will it stimulate hair growth?
I'm glad that they are figuring out what's wrong.
We've been dealing with some hair loss with Z as well. The doctor thinks it may be stress-related since we had a lot going on in our house in December (that's when this started.) We are convinced that she's twisting it and pulling on it while she sleeps or as she's falling asleep. She seems to do it to soothe herself. It seems like her hair is growing back now, but if it starts up again we'll be back at the pediatrician's office.
Good luck with everything with S. I hope she improves!
Leah!
First, I am so happy to see a post from you! I've missed you so much and obviously I am totally out of the loop. Mommyhood has me a bit busy these days ;) I run marathons...every day, trying to catch Lleyton!
As for your visit to Mayo, I am so happy that you are in the hands of caring physicians with the best interest of your baby. I will pray you see new hair growth very soon! Isn't it humbling when you visit pediatric hospitals and see what others are up against. When Lleyton would go for visits to LeBonheur for his torticolis I would always leave praying to God for the healing of all the little ones that were so sick who we encountered during our time there. It made our situation seem so minor...and it WAS.
Take good care of yourself Mama, as I know this is stressful. It reminds me of when you were told K could possibly have TB and then all was well. Give little S some extra love from our house and we are going to keep praying for new hair growth.
Big hugs and much love
Andrea
Hi Leah,
I just read your blog- and found something interesting. My daughter had Hand, foot and mouth disease in the fall- and struggled with it for about a week. After that she ended up with Mono- and now her hair is falling out. I read about Telogen Effluvium and was sure that was her problem. Hers is falling out pretty evenly - and it seems to be better lately. One of my other friends has a 2 year old - and after she had a fever all of her hair fell out- and now it is the thickest , prettiest hair you have ever seen. Just to encourage you- she is so young- I know God can heal her- As a mom this is so worrisome- but fevers do cause hair loss. (I also thought that Hand, foot and mouth disease is alot worse than the Doctors think it is- all of my kids really struggled for a month to get their health back after that virus.)
How scary. I am glad that it's seems as it's nothing too serious. Hopefully she will respond to treatment.
Mayo Clinic rocks, I do most of my studies through them.
Will continue to pray for you and little S.
Keep us posted, please.
Blessings,
mel
I'm so glad that things with Mayo are going well! I hope that the steroid does its job and you see some growth and improvement over the next six weeks!
Oh my goodness. I hope her hair loss isn't permanent. I had a neighbor before we moved to TX that I swear had alopecia. She was still very pretty. Like you said, there are worse things, but it would still be tough for little S.
The doctors at Mayo are incredible. That is why they are the best in the country. I am seriously considering flying back up there for another consult with their RE staff even though it is out of network for my insurance. If only every doctor could exhibit the same amount of caring for their patients as the doctors at Mayo do. You really are in the best hands. I hope that they can figure out what is going on with S and get it cleared up.
Post a Comment