Monday, December 28, 2009

2009 in Review

Taher and I were sitting around the other day, and he mentioned that he can't wait until 2009 is over with. I was surprised to hear that. I thought it was a good year, and I told Taher that. Taher couldn't believe that I thought it was a good year. . . afterall, it was a year that tested and tried us more than any other year. Yet I still think it was a GREAT year. Here we are, at the end of it, and we are sitting in our cozy living room having a conversation about it. We have our health and we're happy.

I was surprised that Taher and I saw our year so differently. I have excellent memory. It isn't as if I have forgotten about the year we've been through. I haven't. But I think when you're faced with adversity, it gives you the greatest opportunity to truly shine. And this year was full of adversity.

The year started off with Taher and I seeking help from an infertility Doctor after not being able to conceive for almost a year.

Then the year involved us hearing from a Doctor that we are "healthy" and we have no "known" issues.

The year continued with Taher and I trying a few expensive and invasive medical tests and procedures. Many tears were shed when we continued to get the disappointing news that the medical procedures did not work.

The year involved our Doctor telling us that there is really nothing more that he can do for us, unless of course we want to spent obscene amounts of money for more medical procedures.

The year involved changing visions. It involved a lot of sadness, and a lot of healing. It also involved a lot of acceptance, and a lot of letting go.

It is not an exaggeration when I say it was the most difficult year I've ever experienced. The entire year was a rollercoaster of emotions. I was giving myself 6 shots a day at one point in the year, only to have the procedure fail.

The year tested the strength of our marriage, over and over again, but if anything, the pain we were feeling helped us to rely on each other even more.

The best part of the year was when I decided that my happy ending was going to look very differently than I had originally thought. My happy ending wasn't going to involve me getting pregnant. Instead, my happy ending would be choosing to move on. And that's just what I did.

After our last failed treatment in July, I spent a few days crying and feeling sorry for myself, and then I picked myself up and vowed never to look back. I vowed not to be sad about circumstances that I had no control over. I was not going to be sad for one more day about the fact that Taher and I wouldn't have biological children, or that people were getting pregnant around me left and right, or about the fact that our family would look very differently than most. I was going to be happy.

I began healing.

In the meantime, Taher and I were already deep into the adoption process. Something we have ALWAYS wanted to do. . . long before we had the knowledge that we would have difficulty conceiving.

2009 will always be the year that I chose happiness, and that Taher and I chose adoption. How could that ever be considered a bad year?

I can't remember a year with more opportunity for growth. I also can't remember a year where I shed so many tears. But the tears taught me so much. I would never take back the tears. Because without them, I wouldn't have had so much growth.

At the end of 2009, out of the blue, I decided to take a pregnancy test. The 100th or so pregnancy test I took in 2009. I was fully expecting the same result I've always seen, but this time was different. This time, I saw the most beautifully positive pregnancy test I ever laid my eyes on.

Yes, 2009 was the year that Taher and I realized that we weren't expecting one child. . . we were expecting two. 2009 was the year that my dream of always having a child biologically, as well as adopting a child came true.

So, I will have to very respectfully disagree with my husband when I say, 2009 was one of the best years of my entire life.






31 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow...love this post. So happy for your 2 Blessings!

A said...

You are pregnant?!!?!? WOW!! Congratulations! (I hope I'm reading that right!!)

Karyn said...

2010 should be even better!
:D

Kelly said...

I am impressed with your positive and happy outlook on what was clearly a difficult series of events. I really struggle with finding that sense of happiness even though I know we're on our way to our child.

And congratulations! How exciting!

Sandy said...

Oh my! This is a beautiful post!
Congratulations to you!
My brother and sister-in-law had a son 7 years ago, but then were not able to conveive after that. They are getting 2 girls tomorrow, to foster then adopt! They are excited!
I am excited for you!
Happy New Year!

Alissa said...

OH MY GOSH!!! You're pregnant, too?! Leah, that is AMAZING! I am absolutely ecstatic for you and Taher! 2 little ones - what blessings!

Anonymous said...

Wait, am I reading this right? You are pregnant? That's fantastic!! Congratulations!!!!!

Trinity said...

Wow, Leah! Congrats! :) Here's to an amaaazzzing 2010!

Hillary said...

Leah!?!!! Oh my gosh, I am bawling over here. What an amazing journey - you will, hopefully, have both of your children in 2010. Wow.

And I love you chose happiness and moved forward with the path set before you - it is an inspiration to me.

xxoo

Lyndsay said...

WHAT?!!!

I was NOT expecting that!!!

Congratulations! What amazing, wonderful news! I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Michele said...

that is wonderful!!! a sibling for your soon to be adopted child!!!!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!

BTW, for adoption fundraising, have you seen this? https://www.justlovecoffee.com/registerFamily.aspx

Stace said...

I completely thought I missed something! I went back and reread all your December AND November posts.

Am I reading this right? Are your pregnant!?!?!?! And is this the first time that you have mentioned it??? (Or did I really miss something??) SO incredibly exciting! Pregnant and adopting? Here's to a wonderful, amazing 2010!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

Holy cow!! I was just skimming through posts trying to catch up and had to reread that last part because I couldn't believe what it said!!

Congratulations! I bet you are reeling!

Brittany Ann said...

What??????

Oh my! This is so, so exciting! I am so happy for you!

Congrats on you for choosing happiness and then getting an unexpected but welcome blessing along with it!

I can't stop smiling, I'm so thrilled.

ARMSTRONG ADVENTURES said...

WOW! I wasn't expecting that ending! Congratulations! This is going to be an exciting year for your family!!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Congrats! How exciting!

Sometimes the HARDEST things are the BEST things. I bet that 2009 brought you and your hubby closer together and now it has brought you a hope and a future (Jer. 29:11).

Here is to 2010! : )

Fawnda

Ellie said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations a million times over!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Leah!! I have followed you this entire year. I know what you have been through, and know the pains and excitements you endured.
Strange how things work!? it's like losing something important the more you try and the harder you look the more lost it is, the less you try and the more focused on something else, there it was under your nose!
Happy new year and what an amazing late Christmas present.

Kristi J said...

what a beautiful post!! thanks for sharing, kristi

~ifer said...

That is so wonderful! I am so happy for the two of you.

Congratulations!

Flying High said...

Congratulations! That's amazing news! Can't believe you managed to keep that underwraps until the end of your post! x

George said...

That's incredible news...so happy for you!

Jenny said...

i missed this in everything i've had going on... congrats! so amazing!!!

Watcher said...

Congratulations! I have an adopted twin (we were born on the same day.. I'm a preemie but close enough right?) and its AWESOME. So here's to all the fun and craziness your two will have!

eLiZaBeTh said...

wow...I just got the chills! How exciting! Life is always full of the unexpected, isn't it? That is what makes it so beautiful & difficult, too. Congratulations to you & T!

Rebecca said...

What wonders our world is full of!!! Many, many blessings to you. Congrats!!! I can't believe I just read this. So beautiful!!!

Kimberly Wright said...

Congratulations!

Our family has bio children and adopted. Its an interesting journey.

elizabeth said...

oh! WOW!
two kiddos!

and i don't think that taher is funny for being glad this year is almost over. even if it was oh-so-good in so many ways. it sounds like it was VERY full and hard and beautiful. and the next stage will be too!

happy, happy new year to you!

Unknown said...

OH MY GOODNESS... what AWESOME news!!!! congrats!!!

Jessica said...

I've been reading, but this is the first chance I've had to comment...

CONGRATS!!!! I'm SO excited for you!

I'm hoping it's a boy so you have two brother best friends. I can't believe you'll basically have twins...what an adventure! The blessings are sure overflowing!

Amy said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you! :)