I know my 2009 in Review post was a bit vague. I could tell from the comments that people were wondering if they had missed anything. No, nothing missed. I've known for a little while, but was waiting to get to the right point to say it out loud.
I have so many thoughts running through my head, I don't think I could properly articulate exactly how I'm feeling. T and I kept it fairly quiet because we needed to process the emotions on our own first. The emotions still aren't processed. I'm still waiting to wake up to find out this is some big joke. Actually, when I told Taher the news after testing, those were his sentiments exactly. "Is this a sick joke?"
To be honest, I'm not sure why I tested in the first place. Taher and I completed our last infertility treatment on July 11th. The same day, my beautiful aunt was diagnosed with brain cancer. My treatment didn't work, and neither did the treatment my aunt received. She passed away peacefully on December26th. My heart is sad, yet here I am, expecting two little ones. The circle of life.
After the failed treatment in July, I threw in the towel. Some would call it giving up, but I called it moving on. I needed to move on to feel better. And I did feel better. T kept telling me that he had a feeling we would someday have a biological child. I always told him I didn't believe it, and that I was fine with it. And you know what? I didn't believe it. And. . . I was mostly fine with it.
During all of the adoption interviews, I was asked many times if my infertility was resolved. What a stupid question. The truth is, infertility is never resolved. Ever. Some women keep trying forever, some move on. But no one gets over it. During all of my struggles, I went to a counselor who specialized in infertility. Our first meeting she told me that she too struggled to get pregnant. She didn't say anything more about it, and I didn't ask her. The next time we met, she mentioned that she never told me how her story ended. Well, her story ended with her never getting pregnant and adopting two children. She told me to this day, that not getting pregnant was and always will be the biggest disappointment in her life.
So, was my infertility resolved? No.
Someday I want to share the story of how I found out, and what this means for our life and adoption, but right now, I just want to say to those still hurting, I am here for you. In any way I can be. A part of me is so happy, but a part of me is so sad. I remember the pregnancy announcements. I also remember people in the infertility community getting pregnant, and basically disappearing now that there dream came true. That won't be me. The past year and a half have shaped me in more ways that I can say. I have met some of the most amazing women in the world. . . women who also dealt with this, and are still dealing with this. Some day I hope to write about the emotions surrounding infertility, how it affects relationships, how it effects your self-esteem.
Right now though, I just want you to know. . . you're not alone. And there is hope. My wish for everyone in the coming year is that everyone can be at peace with the uncontrollable circumstances in their lives.
14 comments:
I think it's going to be another very exiciting year for you in 2010...pregnant and adopting...holy moly! And your agency is okay with you moving forward with the adoption even though you're pregnant? I only ask because my agency has restrictions about keeping 9 months between bringing kids into the home. BEST OF LUCK, I'll be reading!!!
OMG! Your pregnant!?!?!? Wow! I about jumped out of my seat when I read this and my husband said "whats wrong, what happend"! :) SO happy for you! I can't wait to hear more! Happy and healthy 9 months to you my friend!!!
Congratulations hun. I cannot claim to understand what you have gone through but I can say you and Taher are two extremely strong and loving people who are going to raise some very lucky children. Here's to 2010!
Thanks so much for this post! I'm sure it did take a while to get things organized in your head. Thanks for thinking of us who're still waiting- that really warms my heart because that's something you don't have to do. My ex-acquaintance who struggled with IF for 3 years before doing a successful IVF never once looked back when she became pregnant, and while that is her prerogative, that still stings.
I thank you for your prayers and be assured you will be in mine as well! Here's praying that all our families will be bigger this time next year!!
Leah,
I sit here in tears, tears of JOY, as it warms my heart to hear your news. How sweet of you to be concerned for others who will read your blog and have that "why not me" feeling when they hear your announcement. It takes a very special person to put the feeling of others before themself :)
Know that I am sending you many hugs and prayers as you continue this journey to the finish line. This miracle could not have happened to a more wonderful couple. May blessings continue to come your way.
Love, Hugs & CONGRATS!
Andrea
I am sorry to hear about your Aunt. My thoughts are with you and your family.
I'm so excited about your news. I think it's beautiful. I think it's perfect and magical.
I do understand your sentiments, although I have not traveled that path myself. I do believe that the way in which adoption changes your heart can only make you a better parent to any child. I think that the bonds that these two children will share will be so unique and wonderful.
You are in for a wild and glorious ride. I'm glad that I get to follow along.
Wow. This is amazing news. Now I have more hope that I do not need medical intervention. thanks for commenting on my blog today.
Thank you.
You made me cry, though:)
So all I can manage to get out is...thank you:)
I am so sorry to hear that your aunt has passed. I'm sure that was very difficult for you. At least she is a peace now.
As for the pregnancy, how long have you known it was TWO?! You little minx, you kept that bit from me. I am so excited you finally made the announcement. I look foward to all of your upcoming pregnancy posts. It is time to be excited Leah. You have achieved your dream, now live it!
Beautiful post, I think you communicated your heart very well. I continue to be so very happy for you! How far along are you?
wow, so exciting...So glad your agency will allow you to continue...AGCI won't allow it...you must terminate your adoption...Praying you can do both and that God fills your heart and your home QUICKLY with the pitter patter of little feet :) so exciting, kristi
I'm glad your agency allows you to continue to adopt. Ours didnt. When we got pregnant with Bobby and Maya, we had to put our fostering/adoption on hold- for AT LEAST A YEAR. It's rough... We will still adopt (domestically) but it will be a bit.
Oh congratulations!! I am soooooo happy for you and your husband. I have never met you, but I know you are a great person. In this post you have some of the best news of your life and yet you are concerned and thinking of others. You are in inspiration Leah!!
I am so sorry about your loving aunt; so much sadness, yet so much hope for you at the same time. I am overwhelmed with the depth of it, but know that you truly deserve goodness and light, and that in your letting go last summer, you invited the Universe to bless you. You said, without saying, I am ready. Make me an instrument.......please, be well, and take good care of yourself. Happy, Happy New year my friend!!!!
Post a Comment