This is the first guest post on the process of choosing a country to adopt from. Thank you SO much Emily for writing this. You should all go check out her blog, Our Little Buster. Emily is a fabulous woman, and I'm so excited for her and her husband and their adoption process.
“Why Ethiopia?”
It is certainly a question we get asked frequently and is one of the harder questions about our adoption to wrap up into a succinct answer. I would like to say that all of the reasons were romantic and beautiful, but that wouldn’t be honest. When my husband, Damon, and I first started investigating adoption there were several factors that we felt we needed to consider. For example, as unfortunate as it is to admit we had to think about the cost, the length of the process and travel requirements. It is expensive and time consuming no matter what, but some countries require two trips and their country fees are higher so we had to think about all of that. I also knew that I didn’t have it in me to wait for years and years just for a referral so I was hopeful we could find a country with more reasonable wait times. I think some people pick the country and then search for agencies that facilitate adoptions in that particular country.
However, we ended up landing on an agency first and then deciding based on the options they had. We had heard a lot of good things about Gladney and we felt very strongly about picking an agency with proven experience and strong ethics. When we had the agency determined we just needed to figure out what country.
We had been thinking about adoption for a while. Even before we started any serious research, whenever I visualized myself adopting it was always from Africa. I wasn’t even sure if it was possible, but when I would daydream about it the child was always from Africa. I am not sure if that is because Damon’s father is African-American so it seemed like a good fit for us or what? If you read my blog then you have heard this story, but it was a defining moment in our process. One day I came home from work and Damon told me he had been doing further research into countries where Gladney facilitates adoptions. He told me had a video he wanted me to watch and he warned me that it made him a little teary. I knew that it was a big deal because he is not one to show emotions. It was a video on Gladney’s website of a young couple’s trip to Ethiopia and there were lots of shots of the capital where they stayed.Then they took a trip to see where their son was found. At the end of the video they are in a room waiting and eventually they are introduced to their son for the first time. I just had tears streaming down my face and realized I just watched them become a family. It was very overwhelming. I looked up at Damon and he told me that he wanted to adopt from Ethiopia. It was a moment I will never forget. Damon said that he was just feeling this pull towards Ethiopia, but thought we should wait a few days and just make sure. We both admitted to each other a few days later that when we went to bed we were thinking about Ethiopia and when we woke up in the morning we were thinking about Ethiopia and when we were getting a glass of water we were thinking about Ethiopia. We knew then it was time to recognize what was on our hearts and it was time to act. That night we filled out the online application.
I truly felt such peace with our decision. So much of adoption and actually parenthood in general is such a leap of faith. You make the decisions to the best of your ability and then just have to go for it. What shocks me is how I have gone from hardly ever thinking about Ethiopia nine months ago to thinking about it all the time. My world view has totally changed and Ethiopia plays a factor in so much of what I do from Christmas shopping to internet surfing to daydreaming, etc. I am so grateful to be on this journey and to be forever connected to Ethiopia.
Great guest-post from Emily! I'm going to check out her blog right now. It sounds like their path to Ethiopia was similar to ours - in part guided by some practicalities in this craziness of international adoption, but also a pulling of the heart strings. This is a great idea, Leah! I look forward to hearing what others have to say about their decision-making processes as well.
I have friends who brought their son home from Ethiopia in August. He's such a joy and so much fun to be around. Their experience (also with Gladney) was beautiful and their reward was great. They had very similar reasons for choosing Gladney and Ethiopia!
I have an aunt from Ethiopia. She came to this country in the early 80s with no family and my grandmother took her under her wing. We were raised as though she were my mother's sister. I love her dearly and her culture is beautiful. Growing up, she told us stories of her upbringing and we were always enthralled.
That is really awesome. I am excited for Emily and her husband. It sounds like they were truly inspired to adopt from Ethiopia. I wish them all the best!
Hi Leah. I just found your blog via Emily. How awesome to have her guest blog and what a truly beautiful post. Emily is one of my cherished wait list ladies. She has helped me so much and been such a great friend.
11 comments:
Great guest-post from Emily! I'm going to check out her blog right now. It sounds like their path to Ethiopia was similar to ours - in part guided by some practicalities in this craziness of international adoption, but also a pulling of the heart strings. This is a great idea, Leah! I look forward to hearing what others have to say about their decision-making processes as well.
Lovely guest post. I think a post about why we chose the country we chose is great...because, like you konw, that question gets asked a TON!
Thanks for sharing your story!
I have friends who brought their son home from Ethiopia in August. He's such a joy and so much fun to be around. Their experience (also with Gladney) was beautiful and their reward was great. They had very similar reasons for choosing Gladney and Ethiopia!
What a neat story! Good luck Emily!
great post!!! i'm so glad you're doing this :-) it sounds like we and emily & damon have some similar reasons for choosing Ethiopia!
I have an aunt from Ethiopia. She came to this country in the early 80s with no family and my grandmother took her under her wing. We were raised as though she were my mother's sister. I love her dearly and her culture is beautiful. Growing up, she told us stories of her upbringing and we were always enthralled.
I cant wait to hear more about your process!
What a great post! Thanks!
I love this idea. I've thought about adopting, and I'm looking forward to hearing why people choose certain routes.
Maria
That is really awesome. I am excited for Emily and her husband. It sounds like they were truly inspired to adopt from Ethiopia. I wish them all the best!
Hi Leah. I just found your blog via Emily. How awesome to have her guest blog and what a truly beautiful post. Emily is one of my cherished wait list ladies. She has helped me so much and been such a great friend.
Awe, this post brings tears to my eyes. Beautiful.
Post a Comment