Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Life

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences, all events are blessings given to us to learn from.
- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

How many of us actually look at our circumstances as blessings? I always try to find the deeper meaning in my circumstances, but sometimes I get so stuck on the "why me" of my circumstances, that I can't find the good in it. I fail to find the deeper meaning in why something happened to me.

I love that quote above. I have an aunt who is ailing right now, and she is the most spiritual person I know. Have you ever met someone that when they talk to you, and look at you, they actually SEE you? Because that is my aunt. She looks into your soul when she looks at you.

I have a very favorite memory of my aunt. . . It's a memory I think of often. I was a college student, and babysitting her daughters for the day. When my aunt and uncle came back after their afternoon out, my aunt and I were left alone in the kitchen. I was in a sad place because of some circumstances in my life. I thought I was disguising my feelings, but my aunt sees things. She sees people. She asked me what was wrong, and I broke down and told her what was on my mind.

My aunt left the room, and came back with two rocks.

The pink rock represents calmness, and the purple rock represents tranquility. My aunt told me to rub these rocks anytime I needed those things in my life. (I still have these rocks today) My aunt helped me to get to a place of meditation, and when I "woke" up, I had renewed strength.

I will always remember this memory with my aunt.

We are all on our own life journeys, and it is inevitable that we will all come face to face with our mortality eventually. Knowing this somehow doesn't make loss any easier. But knowing it will help us all to prepare for our own journeys, and will help us live a more authentic life.

5 comments:

Alissa said...

Sorry to hear that your aunt is sick, Leah : (

George said...

Sounds like you have some great memories from your aunt...sorry to read she's not doing well...praying for her.

Chelle said...

I am very sorry to hear your aunt is not getting better. I think it is also important to remember what kind of legacy we will leave behind when we go. Your aunt has left you with a very special memory that will live on after she is gone. You will always have those rocks and will always remember that day. That is very special.

The Busters said...

Thank you for sharing that quote. I love it and will keep it as a good reminder. I am so sorry to hear your aunt isn't doing well. Thank goodness for those memories. You have some lovely ones to hold on to forever. HUGS!

Jenny said...

your aunt sounds like a very wise woman. i'm so sorry she's sick :( i hope she has a turn for the better soon!