Monday, November 9, 2009

No Longer Paralyzed by Imperfection

This blog post is inspired by a blog I love to read, Britt's Beat. I thought the whole premise was such a wonderful one.

Sometimes I read people's blogs and think to myself, "holy crap! They really have their stuff together!." Maybe some bloggers only like to share the good. . . or maybe their lives are REALLY that perfect. Mine? Mine isn't at all. I have my faults.

I don't cook. It's not that I can't, it's that I don't want to. I'm lazy. I think it's boring.

Actually, I'd eat ramen noodles every night if I could. And my poor husband? I cook for him about once or twice a month? I wonder if he is regretting his choice in a wife?

I like to shop when I'm sad. Or bored. All the way to the mall, I'm telling myself that I should be saving money, but I go anyway.

I hate American football. I think it's boring. I simply don't get people's obsession. My Dad was even a football coach when I was growing up.

I can be jealous sometimes.

I get angry on a daily basis by a co-worker's grammar. It's the worst grammar I've ever heard, and some days I am close to yelling at her.

I'm overwhelmed by domestic responsibilities.

I eat so much junkfood, it's ridiculous. Fruit and veggies? What's that?!?

I'm slightly OCD.

I am a chronic worrier. It's a little obsessive how much I worry about things.

I don't enjoy church, and rarely go. I love to pray and meditate though. . . but in my own space.

I have a TV in my bedroom, and I watch too much of it.

I don't get crafts. I mean, I see people make these crochet thingies and lacy things, and I think, where will they put that stuff? I don't want it in my house.

I couldn't name many new artists at all. I listen to mostly the 60's. . . and am perfectly okay with that.

I like to self-clean on Sundays. Gross, I know!

Sometimes I judge people before I get to know them. I write them off before I even know who they are.

Have I scared you all away, or offended you all yet?

This is me. Little, imperfect me. I try to share all sides of my life with people through this blog. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

So, I wanted to copy Britt's post because like she mentioned on her blog post, "I can't be the only one who feels called to write a post like this but still fears condemnation because of it."

I am not perfect. I am so far from it. But what I am is honest. I am confident enough in myself to be able to openly show my imperfections to you. I love this community. I trust this community. I hope we are all bound by some common thing that you won't disown me because you don't agree with something that is part of who I am.

I am also a work in progress. Every day I'm striving towards living a more authentic life. But most days, I'm just too tired to work on myself. Most days, I think it's easier to turn on the television and tune the world out.

16 comments:

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Love this blog post....thank you so much for being honest and sharing it with everyone.

I am a chronic worrier too!

Nobody's perfect!

Awesome blog!

Jillene said...

I LOVE this post!! I am SOOOOOOO not perfect. I am a share all kind of girl on my blog.

Chelle said...

This was fun. Despite all of your faults, I think you are a picture of perfection. IF you were supposed to be any other way than how you currently are, you would be that way. Since you are not, it must mean you are perfect the way you are. I have been saying that since I was in high school. Imperfection is a perception. ;)

Kelly said...

Great idea. I often think about how perfect other people seem, too, on their blogs - but I imagine they're just not telling us all sides of the story. I can say "me, too" to about 90% of the things you listed, so we have a lot in common!

~Ifer said...

Awesome post. It takes guts to share the imperfections in each of our lives, and we all have them.

Well done :)

The Busters said...

My favorite blogs to read are the ones that are open and honest and don't try and portray perfection and constant happiness. I loved this post. We share many of the same imperfections - but I think we already knew that. :)

Jewls said...

What a great post! I don't like to cook either and I pretty much live off of junk food and cereal..ha ha! I love hearing that other people are normal and don't have perfect lives!

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from Yaya's to say hi! You're so brave for admitting all this about yourself to the world. Kudos!

Deanna said...

There is no perfect! No way, no how. I loved this post. It is so real. I share many of your "imperfections". I might have to do a post like this sometime soon. It was interesting to read.

Lyndsay said...

Great post! I usually read through blogs thinking that the women are so much more 'together' than me. I'm going to try to work up the nerve to write a similar post.
And who wants to be perfect anyway? I think imperfection is much more endearing!

Anonymous said...

I agree with all the women here. This is a great post.
It is a very tough thing to do to post who you REALLY are. I tend to tred on shallow water and Keep my blog clean and only post what i "think" other women would not find offensive.
I do read posts where the women are brutally honest and I love that about them.. I go to their blogs and breath a sigh of relief and think, thank god I'm not the only one.

George said...

Awesome post...love to learn about other imprefect people! Because I'm rigth there with ya!!! ;-)

Amber said...

great post and thanks for being so honest. I am so not perfect either but very interesting.

Hillary said...

I can relate to so many of those!

Brittany Ann said...

Thanks for the shout out! I love that you posted about this too! It's good to know there are others like us out there. Here's to real-life women!

Michele said...

awesome post. none of us are perfect. the best we can hope to be is honest.

and, in that, we are all perfect in our own ways.