Monday, May 17, 2010

Weekend Yard Sale

We had the most perfect weather for a yard sale this weekend, which is good, because this was the weekend T and I had designated for our sale. . . rain our shine.

I have never had a yard sale before, and I was surprised at the amount of work involved. I mean, it is A LOT of work!!! A few weeks ago, T and I reached out to family and friends and asked if they wanted to donate anything to our yard sale. We were so fortunate that many people had things to give us, such as furniture, books, movies, antiques, clothes, electronics, and so much more. So, for the past few weeks, our garage has been a staging area for our sale.

I must admit. . . I had fairly low expectations for our sale. I wasn't sure if people would stop by. T and I drove around the night before and put signs everywhere announcing our sale, I put an ad in our local newspaper about the sale, T then went door to door in our neighborhood and dropped off flyers at neighbor's we had never met.

It all paid off though, and when our sale started, people came. They really came!!! (Sorry, that was my astonishment that people actually showed up)

Neighbors who we had never met, who live right across the street came and introduced themselves to us. T and I had a picture of Khalil up and told people that is the meaning behind the sale. Family came to offer moral support and to throw money at items I'm sure they didn't really care about, friends showed up with their children to offer their support to us.

And it was so fun to watch T in action. He is a natural salesman, and had so much joy everytime he talked about Khalil. It was precious, and makes me so proud to be married to such a man.

And while some of our sale was going on, my Mom went in our backyard and weeded our garden. Seriously, I have the best family.

And we had this cute baby at our sale who helped bring in the traffic. I mean. . . who can resist a cute baby? ;)


I blew up balloons to bring people's attention to our house. But then I forgot to put them out in the yard. Oops!

And here I am, hard at work, in my pink shirt. Best $5.00 I've ever spent! ;)

Here's a picture of some of the items we had for sale.

The sale went on both Saturday and Sunday and I have so much gratitude for the support shown us. It seriously meant the world to T and I.

At the end of the sale on Sunday, this woman walked up to our sale alone and browsed a while, but it seemed like she was more interested in conversing. She asked me how much adoption cost, and when I told her, she said that that seemed wrong to her. . . and that it seemed like it was promoting buying children. (I think she may have used the word flesh however)

I was immediately turned off by this woman, and was ready for her to leave our sale. But instead, she said she had a pain in her side and asked if we could get her water. T being the nice man he is, went inside and got her a bottle of water and a chair to sit in. She sat outside with us for an hour and a half, and it allowed T and I to tell her what adoption is really about and where the money for adoption really goes. (Because we all know it isn't to buy a child)

By the end of the conversation with this woman, I liked her. Later that evening, when the sale had been finished for hours, T and I were sitting in our backyard resting our feet and eating ice cream. All of sudden, this woman popped her head in our backyard, because she wanted to buy a couple things she had seen earlier, but earlier, she didn't have her wallet with her. So T and I brought some stuff out for her to look at it, and she informed us she only had $1.00. T and I sent her home with a ton of merchandise, all for the price of $1.00.

Everyone comes into our lives for a reason. And perhaps there was a deeper meaning to this woman as well.

We are SO happy our sale went well, and we are SO happy to have it behind us. (Did I mention how much work it was?) And on top of everything, we have a nice little deposit to make for Addis Ababa airfare #1. :)



































19 comments:

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

So glad that your yard sale went so good! Yay!! When Justin and I had our first garage sale I was like you I had NO idea how much work it was!!!! Isn't it interesting how people come into your life and have no idea what Adoption is and if your like me I go into overdrive!!! Have a great week girly!

Anonymous said...

Glad the sale went well! I haven't done a yard sale in years, but they definitely are a lot of work.

Jenny said...

yay! i'm glad it was a success! and i'm glad you got to share with that woman what adoption really means!

Cicero said...

I'm tired all over again just looking at the pictures.

Let Me Not Forget said...

So glad the yard sale went well! And the baby is definitely cute! :)

The Busters said...

YAY for a successful yard sale!!! It makes me happy to know that so many people came out to support you!! And thank you so much for your wonderful comment on my blog today!! I REALLY hope we get to meet so I can hug you and thank you for all the support you have given me!!

Kala said...

That's wonderful that you got to spend time with the women and talk to her. I'm sure she was there for a reason and you opened her eyes to adoption. Good for you!!

Paula Keller said...

Wow! That does sound like a lot of work but I'm glad you got some cash toward the trip.

32 weeks!!! Are you getting excited yet?

Christy said...

Yard sales are a lot of work! Glad it's over and that it was a success! Also, it's great that you were able to share with this woman more about adoption. Hopefully there is a reason and you were able to be a part of it! Thinking of you. Get some rest!

The Wife said...

We're planning on having a yard sale in a couple of weekends. I wouldn't normally want it so close to our due date but we're busy up to that point. I'm glad yours went so well.

BrandiB said...

So glad to hear the yard sale went well! Isn't it interesting when you start talking to folks about adoption the reactions and predispositions they sometimes have? Glad to hear that woman was able to have you and T really share with her what it's all about.

Kelly said...

Sounds like a wonderful success - in more ways than one! I am glad you were afforded the opportunity to speak with that woman. We can all help educate... one person at a time!

Jewls said...

Ha ha, I'm the same way with clothes...I find a shirt I like and then wear it out! I'm glad your yard sale was a success, fun pics!

Breen said...

Glad your sale went well! When we had ours many people didn't understand embryo adoption so I did a lot of talking about it. I'm glad you were able to tell her all about adoption. :)

Amy said...

Yard sales are EXHAUSTING!! I'm glad yours went well!

twondra said...

So glad the sale went well!! Yay! It sure was a beautiful weekend, wasn't it?

Anonymous said...

Yay for a successful yard sale! And now you have more room for baby-stuff!

Chelle said...

That is so awesome! Yard sales ARE a lot of work. I've only ever been part of a couple when I was a kid, but man they require hours of preparation. I am glad all of your hard work paid off and helped toward the purchase of the first plane ticket to baby Kahlil!

Andrea said...

Fantastic! A little change in the bank never hurts :)

I agree, we meet all walks of life for "a reason".

HUGS