Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Weekly Pregnancy Update - 33 Weeks

33 weeks pregnant. Hard to believe. . . at least for me. I'm starting to slow down a bit these days. I'm listening to my achy body, which is telling me to sleep more, and do less.

Tonight I have to spend the night at a sleep clinic to test me for sleep apnia. My doctors are thinking I may have developed this during pregnancy. I guess we'll see. I'm not looking forward to spending the night somewhere other than my nice bed, have monitors hooked up to me, and people watching me sleep through a video camera. No. . . this does not sound like fun, and I'm looking forward to having it done with.

I've mentioned on here before that T and I are wavering on what to name this baby girl. We had a name all picked out, but it isn't the easy name to say, and we are having a hard time realizing that because it's difficult to say, her name will become something entirely different. Anyway, T and I now have a second name in the running that we really love. So, we are down to two names. On Sunday evening, we are laying in bed. We have a light in the room similar to track lighting, and there are three different lights coming out of one fixture. Well, one of the lights went out, leaving only 2 lights lit. At about this time, fireworks starting going off outdoors, and it led T and I to wonder if we were going to have a 4th of July baby. T jokingly looked at the light and asked, "Will our baby be born on the 4th of July?" The light that had burnt out blinked once and turned off again. Okay, no big deal. . . obviously a loose connection. T then looked at the light, and asked, "Should we name our baby _______?" Immediately, the light that had burnt out turned on. It was freaky!!! And the light has stayed on ever since. Could this be a sign? And after T read this post, he called me and reminded me that Khalil's given name (which we are making his middle name) means light in Arabic. Could Khalil have been giving us a sign?

We have started our birthing classes, and I'm trying to figure out whether I want meds or want to try to deliver without meds. Any feedback on this? I'm really wavering.

I hope ya'll don't mind the paragraph format my pregnancy posts have taken on. I thought it was more interesting than the standard bullets, especially since my answers never really changed. :)

25 comments:

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Of course you didn't share the name;) LOL..Sounds like a sign to me!!!

birthmothertalks said...

I have had three babies and the baby that was born without any meds (Izzy) or any medical attention until 10 minutes before she was born was the baby that came out the healthiest and was able to go home 24 hours after birth. Bad for me but good for her. Well, anyways, with my first son, I had some mild pain meds and it was a pretty uneventful birth. My last son, I had to be induced because of my water leaking and I had back labor and they hooked me up to all kinds of machines and he came out not responding due to the affects of the drug. They didn't expect the labor to progress as fast as it did in the end and it bothered him. I know a lot of people have epiderals to feel as little pain as possible but it's my belief that because you can't feel the contractions that you have a higher chance of having complications and needing a c-section. That is just my thoughts on it.

Anonymous said...

I had 2 deliveries with pain meds and 2 with out, I have to say.. I'd rather have the pain meds!!!!!!!!

All of my children were healthy and all came home with me. also ppl say you forget the pain when you hold your baby ... i have to be honest .. I remember the pain 15 years later .. It was awful .. lol

what ever you decide Leah Will be the best decision for you and T.

Mel said...

You look wonderful and have the most beautiful pregnancy glow!!!

Sorry to hear about the sleep apnea - I got tested before in 1990something, but who can actually sleep all relaxed when you're hooked up to 593 different cords/cables, lol. I don't know how they do that in the states, but I had a huge adapter (among 592 other cables) type thing stuck right on the throat.

Cant wait for you to reveal your baby girls name - I bet you it's Arabic sounding ;-)

Have a good day.
Blessings,
mel

Mayme said...

Go natural if you can! I did great the first time and managed to Lamaze again the second time. I only had to get an epidural AFTER reaching 10 centimeters and realizing Ashton was posterior and had to be turned. I have to say the epidural was great after that....however I had back pain for weeks following. I didn't have that the first time. My labors were both induced and incredibly long. Those boys have been a pain ever since:)Just do what works for you. You'll know.

Buckles Family said...

I had decided to have my first born without an epidural. I really wanted to do it naturally... until I was 23 hours into labor and in a lot of pain. After I had the epidural, things went extremely well and I was pain-free. Taylor came out extremely healthy and responsive, and she was placed in my arms immediately following delivery. I told the doctor just to meet me in the parking lot with the epidural for my next baby! lol! There are no awards for delivering without an epidural. I don't feel bad for having one, and I had no residual effects at all. Of course, then I had to go through my c-section before my epidural took effect the next time... THAT I don't recommend!

Cicero said...

The story about the light was and still is creepy. Thats exactly how it happened. I was just being silly when I asked the Light God if we were to deliver on the 4th of July. What does it mean that it blinked twice? Once for yes twice for no? Then when I asked if our babies name is ______, we freaked out! Im pretty sure we where holding each other under the covers.

Michele said...

I love the name sign! That is s cool!!! I think she's telling you that's her name!

Kelly said...

I love the signs from the light! Love that kind of thing.

I had a sleep study several years ago. It wasn't as bad as I had expected. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I love the story about the light!! I am due one week after you and am pondering the same issue. It would be nice to be natural, but the thought of so much pain is scary. I want to wait as long as possible and then get an epidural. At our Labor class, they just stressed keeping an open mind and don't try to say "it has to be this way" because that will likely change. Good luck! Heather

Kala said...

Sounds like wonderful timing to me. That would be a wonderful story to tell your little girl. So what is it? Cmon, please? :)

RunwithSticks said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment - it's true, some of the BEST things come out of the hardest things :) Congratulations on your pregnancy - how wonderful & what a blessing! As for the meds? My philosophy was always to start out natural, and do what was needed as the time came. I think being open to options is a great place to start. Your labour will be unique to you and your baby, and it's impossible to plan on each step. If you keep your mind open to whatever possibility may present itself, it will be easier for you to accept the outcome. Good luck!

Trinity said...

This story made me all tingly! :) I have to say, my name looks one way and is pronounced another way, and it has been mispronounced all my life. (My last name is even a tough one, so it gets doubly butchered.) I'm at the point now that I will even involuntarily answer to my mispronounced name because that's how much I've had to hear it over the years! I used to be a strict corrector about my name, but it's been futile. I'd never change my name though. I love it. :)

Leah, you look gorgeous in blue! Good luck with the apnea test!

Deni said...

I love the sign! I believe in signs, and know that God is communicating through ways unknown! I tell Him when I ask questions to send me billboard signs so my slow mind won't be confused!! So, go with it! I can't wait to hear.

I love your pg update b/c I can look at you and guage where my birthmother is, since she's one day behind you! I've had multiple people tell me she was going to be a 4th baby, but she'll be induced on the 1st, if she doesn't come before that, so we'll see!

I've got no suggestions on the meds vs. no meds, I'm a chicken, that's all I know! Let us know what you decide and I know it will be the right decision! Happy 33 weeks!!!

Amy said...

Another week closer to your little girl. I can't believe you are 33 weeks along. You better rest as much as you can now since you will be busy with 2 little ones very soon. I can't wait to hear the name you decided. Come on, can't you just give us a little hint?

Amber said...

I think thats definitely a sign, cant wait to hear what the name is:)

For the pain meds I think its all up to you and how much pain you can endure, Im all about the epidural and easing the pain but thats me Im such a wuss when it comes to pain :)

Andrea said...

33 weeks...where has the time gone, it seems to have passed so fast :)

As for the med's, that is a very personal thing, but I'm going to say that I would do it without doubt...but you never know, right? Good luck and be well :)

xoxo
Andrea

scooping it up said...

We don't name our bio kids until we can hold them and see their faces. Jesse Tafese we got to name before he was here because we got to see his face! But we didn't pick it out until after we had the referral picture. That's just how we are.

No matter what you decide as far as pain medications go remember this: Choosing pain management meds DOES not make you less of a mother, or mean anything bad about your birth experience. I have a lot of earthy crunchy, birth at home, would never ever get an epidural friends, who can pour on guilt about how you are shortchanging you or your baby by wanting help through something painful. I don't like that attitude. I think those who loved their natural birth experience can be awesome advocates if taht is what you want, but guilt among friends and mothers is wrong. You do what you want and be happy with it. No birth experience is perfect. Or few are. Accepting it for what it is/was and just enjoying the fact taht it got the baby into your family is my take on it.

Long winded enough for ya?
Good luck!

twondra said...

That is really cool! Sounds like a sign to me! You look so cute!

Lyndsay said...

I'm surprised they are making you go through the sleep apnea test... if it started b/c of pregnancy, won't it go away after the pregnancy? I hope you get some sleep - it probably won't be easy!!

Lindsay said...

i did both without meds....if you have a good coach you can do it. i had a great midwife who i trusted. it was wonderful, but i don't have an epidural birth to compare it to either. :0)

Rebekah said...

You are SO cute. Sorry about the sleep thing...

Anonymous said...

The epidural is a must, you get to enjoy the last part of the labor better. Given this is your first you will likely push for a long time, and the pain medications help you from fatigue and enjoy it better. Both my kids were fine and lively when born. THe pain I felt in the beginning of labor before I wasn't dilated enough for the epidural was enough for me to vomit. It was a clear sign I couldn't handle the labor without pain meds. Amber

Queenie. . . said...

Follow the light on the name!

Re: the pain med's, there is no "must" (ignore the folks that say you "must" have an epidural or you "must" go natural). Do whatever feels right for YOU. Listen to your own thoughts and fears, and go where they lead you. For me, I did all of the research, and concluded that I would not be comfortable with a medicated birth. Knowing that, I set out to have the most comfortable, positive med-free birth that I could. I hired a doula, did a lot of walking, used the birthing ball and the rocking chair, and listened to Belleruth Naparstek's Successful Childbirth cd over and over and over again on my ipod during my labor. I also had a whole bag of other stuff to use if I was in the mood for it (scented and unscented microwavable rice socks; an old-fashioned hot water bottle for points where my back hurt, lavender oil, things to wear in the shower/tub, etc). I had a lot of stuff with me, because you just don't know what you'll really want when the time comes. My birth was relatively quick, perfect, and the pain completely manageable. I never had so much as an aspirin afterward.

I will say that I think a key to a good med-free birth is to stay up and moving as much as possible. When I watch those baby birth shows on tv and see them all laying still in their hospital beds, I always think it's no wonder their births take so long and they need med's. Laying still in bed certainly does nothing to help your body birth a baby.

Also, I was really, really afraid of giving birth. The book Birthing From Within was really helpful in helping me work through my fears and let them go before my birth. Some of the stuff is kind of hokey, but I picked and chose what worked for me, and it got me there. For what it's worth, at no point during my labor did I ever consider pain med's, or think I needed them. Not once did I regret my decision.

Good luck in deciding what is best for you, and best of luck with both babies!

Megan from Duluth said...

Hi Leah!

Just be flexible about the delivery. If you have your heart set on one way you may have a hard time doing things another way. But if you keep an open mind, changes will come easier!

I had all three kiddos without any pain meds, and quite frankly the cramping AFTER they were born was the most painful for me. The labor and delivery was very uncomfortable, but not the pain I had feared. I didn't lay flat on a bed to labor either. I labored as much as I could at home, more relaxed and comfortable.

I feel that all women will labor differently, there is no one true way to do it. But I totally listened to my instincts and even tho I might have looked or even sounded silly... those births were all beautiful and amazing and very successful!

Don't listen to horror stories, make sure to live your own birth story. It will be magical too, trust me!

Good luck on ALL the babies Leah!