Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Development of an Orphan

Before T went to Ethiopia to meet Khalil, I had special instructions for him on things to look for in Khalil.

A little background on us and our referral of Khalil. Many adoptive families, before they accept a referral for a child, will bring all the medical documents received to an international adoption clinic to make sure the child is somewhat healthy before adopting him. T and I had planned to do that also. We believe that all children deserve homes, but we didn't feel equipped emotionally or financially to deal with special needs. Then on May 4th, we received our referral. We read about Khalil's background, we read about the limited medical history on him, and saw his picture. Within one hour of receiving our referral, we had formally accepted it. We didn't run anything by the medical clinic like we had planned. We saw him and just knew he was our son. We also had the realization that all children pose risks. They can be born healthy and develop something. We truly didn't care. Khalil was our son, and I hoped and prayed that he was as healthy as the Ethiopian doctor was suggesting, but either way, he was our son and we were his parents.

Back to T's trip to Ethiopia. I wanted T to check certain things about him just so we are as prepared as possible when he comes home. T did an amazing job too! He sat him up to see if he could, and well, Khalil unfortunately face planted into the ground. Okay. . . so he can't sit up quite yet. T put him on his belly, and he had great arm and neck strength. One thing T noticed about Khalil though is that when he would lift him up, he would keep his legs curled up like a newborn. I have no doubt that is more about the fact that he lies down all day and therefore just hasn't used his legs.

So often, T and I will be sitting here playing with Scarlett, who isn't even 6 weeks old yet, and T will say, wow, Scarlett's legs are so strong. . . Khalil can't even do that yet. Khalil is being taken care of so well, but the truth is, is that nothing can replace the affection, attention, and the touch of parents. I am confident though that Khalil will catch up. We are going to work with him diligently, we are going to give him love and time, and we are going to get him into the appropriate medical professionals who can help him. We have no doubt that he will catch up.

Having children is such a leap of faith. I'm not usually a leaper in life, but I would take this leap all over again if it meant this is what my family would look like.

10 comments:

George said...

Great job checking his development level while in ET. We found that Ella had very weak legs for her age (8mo when she came home), but could already crawl - which we were so surprised by. Her ability to sit up on her own tho was terrible...because babies were often placed in those "bumbo" seats when not in thier cribs, so they really never had a chance to develop skills to sit up on thier own. We basically had to teach her how to sit up once we came home...and we also worked hard at getting some strength into her legs. She started walking at 11.5mo...so she's a superstar! ;-)

Best of luck!

Jenny said...

i've read that the leg strength things is so common for our little kiddos... but i've also read they usually catch up super fast! praying that's the case for little khalil!

Andrea said...

Leah,

My friend adopted from Russia, and her daughter Elizabeth had the same problems. The atributed it to her being in a large orphanage where she was left in a crib for extended time. However, with stimulation, once at home in the US, she quickly caught up! She is a thriving teen-ager today :)

Many HUGS and Much love to you, T, Scarlett and your boy, Khalil

Kelly said...

We also plan to have our referral checked out by a physician, but then I wonder if we'll end up doing just what you did and just going for it! I think there would have to be a very serious medical condition for us to turn a referral away. I'm sure Khalil will catch up and thrive as soon as he is home with his family!

Anonymous said...

With all that you and T have to offer, I have no doubt whatsoever that Khalil will be a strong, healthy, happy little boy. Was wondering, how old is Khalil right now? Just curious. I'm sure you've said somewhere in your posts, but I don't recall.

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

just an FYI when we went to visit Maya those 4 tomes and then I moved to Guatemala, she was 9 months old when I moved and she still coudln't sit up without falling over. At 6 1/2 months she was jsut putting osme weight on her legs. She didn't crawl, i swear her hips coudln't hold her legs together enough, but between having me livng with her and I swear those baby walkers, oh how those little girls would get unning around in those walkers. But anyway you are right my daughter even had a foster family but I don't think she had the opportunity to use her legs enough, but she ended up walking right at 11 months, and then crawling around 12 months. I have to say walking with out crawling is hard only becasue the floors there ar hard and she hadn't learned how to pull herself and let herself down, so she would just kind of fall over.
I am so excited for you guys! just wanted to share my experiance. Maya's almost 4 now and very quites running and singing or at least talking.

BrandiB said...

My best friend adopted from ET and her son could only just lie on his back, very malnurised when they met him. Now at one year he is sitting up and crawling all on his own! Amazing what a parent's touch and the right care can do!

birthmothertalks said...

Leah,

When it comes to children either by adoption or birth.. I think we just learn to adjust and do what we have to to do. My youngest son has devoplmental delays which they thought was autism and I had to do a lot of things to help him along the way. He had a lot of help and it pushed me into learning how to drive. Sometimes, I get sad because life is still hard. Things do not come easy for him. But I wouldn't trade him in for a million bucks! I am sure that you will have the same feelings about your son if he has some issues to be worked on.

Unknown said...

Like the other people, my son was just the same. But he didn't even move his legs. He just laid there (6 mo old). No sitting, no weight on his legs, no rolling over.

Now he is two and a half and the most athletic, adventurous of all my boys.

Jewls said...

I LOVE this post! It's funny how your world changes instantly when you see those little faces huh?

Happy Anniversary!