Sunday, January 24, 2010

Does Race Matter?

T and I attended an adoption class this weekend at our agency. The content was wonderful. The woman who led the session was adopted as a baby, and now as an adult, she has adopted. Many wonderful topics were discussed, but my favorite was the race discussion.

Back in the day, when someone of a different race was adopted, the adoptive parents often didn't talk about the difference in race. Their rationale for this was that color truly doesn't matter, so why bring it up?

But. . . Does color matter? Should color be talked about? Should our differences be discussed?

During this discussion, we played a little game. All of us were given many beads, all of different colors.

White - Europeans and/or Caucasians
Black - African American or Pan African
Red - Native American
Yellow - Asian
Brown - Multi - Cultural

Then we were asked many questions, and asked to place a bead representing the race on a plate. Here were my answers.

What race are you? White bead
What race is your husband? Black bead
What race is your doctor? White bead
What race is your dentist? White bead
What race are the majority of your friends? White bead
What race is your neighborhood? Black bead
If you worship, what race is the majority of the people you worship with? White bead
What race is the majority of your family? Brown Bead

This game in race was very eye opening. As I looked around the room in this adoption class, I quickly noticed that T and I had the most colorful plate of beads. The majority of the room had a plate full of all white beads. . . and the only non white bead, was of the child they were planning to adopt.

In a perfect world, all races would intermingle. No one would truly even notice race. But, we aren't living in a perfect world. We are living in a world where color DOES matter. It IS noticed. I don't want our son thinking white is superior. I also don't want our son to struggle with never seeing someone who "looks" like him. And although T and I do a good job at living a diverse life, through this game, I realized we have areas we can improve. Perhaps we'll search for an African Pediatrician, or dentist. Perhaps we'll actively search out other families who have adopted from the country we are adopting from. (We are already actively doing this one)

I want my son to know that it's okay that he looks different than us. I want him to know that he's beautiful, as all races are beautiful. I want him to live in a completely multi-cultural world, where no race is completely dominating the space.

I know some people still say we should all be colorblind. But realistically, we aren't. And our son is going to notice that he doesn't look like his parents at a really young age. But I still want him to know that he's beautiful. I want him to know that he can grow up to be anything he wants to be. I want him to grow up and know that he doesn't have to be paler to make it in this world.

It was a great class, and it really got T and I thinking about so many things. It made me realize that although adoption is such a wonderful thing, when one decides to adopt a child of a different race, it is important that you change your life a bit. It is important that your child doesn't stick out in a world that looks so differently than him. Adoption is so much more than the costs, and the love of the child. It is truly about ADOPTING everything about your child, including his race.

And on a side note. . . The MN Vikings really let me down. But, they are always their worst enemy, and I'm not surprised. Actually, I'm grateful that I can be disappointed in a football game. My life is obviously very blessed that I can waste an emotion on a game. But. . . hopefully my heart rate will drop soon so I can get some sleep. :-D

15 comments:

Kristi J said...

What a great little bead game to play to open one's eyes..great idea, kj

Petrucia said...

what a great way to workshop the race issue... I love this beads game, I can see how it totally helps parents realize the more inclusive lifestyle they have to adopt when adopting a child from a different race. I love this post and the awareness that came to you through the experience. I also believe we should be colorblind, but we aren't, yet. Perhaps one day we'll get there. but also... truly with different colors come different heritages and it's something to honor and enjoy in each other. That part we should keep honoring always, it's what makes us plural, diverse, rich as children of the Earth. :)))

Petrucia said...

also I just remembered a friend saying that because we keep mixing and mixing... with ever stronger genes, we may end up becoming one human race. We'll all be brown beads and all absolutely strikingly beautiful looking beings. ;)

Jenny said...

we did that in a class too... luckily we have a pretty good mix, but still not as good of a mix as i'd like! we, too, talk about wanting to make sure there are other black role models in jai's life for him to look up to!

~ifer said...

Race does matter, and I think it should, in a positive way. I don't believe we should be colorblind. I believe we should be appreciative of all the many colors in the rainbow, and not hope to see them as one color.
Ideally, we would live in a world where race was used to celebrate our diversity, and not used to judge or compartmentalize people.
I think it is a wonderful thing, what you two are doing. Not just the adopting, but adopting of another race, and then making sure they will feel comfortable being who they are.

Cicero said...

Race needs to be openly discussed. The old notions of difference still exist and need to be addressed.

Andi-bo-bandi said...

Nothing to do with the post, but... Can I just say I LOVE seeing your little baby floating down at the bottom!! Yay! :)

Brittany Ann said...

That's an excellent game to play! And one I think I could use in my classroom when we discuss multiculturalism in the media (I teach journalism.)

Thank you for sharing!

The Busters said...

What a great post!!! After I finished reading your post I did the bead game on a piece of paper and my colors were not as diverse as I would like! Thank you for sharing that exercise. I have been thinking about the issue of diversity a lot so this really hit home for me!

Trinity said...

That activity sounds like such an insightful way to visualize one's community and its diversity (or lack thereof). Cool!

I have mixed feelings about the idea of being "colorblind" to race. I think there is overwhelming merit in establishing a climate where every race is respected equally. This SHOULD be the status quo. This SHOULD be how we all live. (But sadly isn't.) I worry that emphasis on being "colorblind" though detracts from the amazing uniqueness of a culture. When some people say that they don't "see" race, I get frustrated because it may also mean that they don't see a particular culture's strengths. If you disregard race all together, are you then disregading all of the positive important things, too?

I think that making a conscious, deliberate effort to raise your family's consciousness level is exciting and just plain awesome. I think you and Taher will do a spectacular job at balancing inclusiveness and diversity for both of your little ones! :)

Michele said...

I am so grateful that our families are a mixed pot. It has made me never worry about adopting children of color.

Kelly said...

We did that same exercise in a pre-adoption training. It was a great way of seeing things. We were glad to have a fairly mixed result, but realize that we can do more to continue to diversify our life and our community.

roy/elisabeth dean said...

We're a family of American Indians, some are married to caucasians, some to blacks, some to hispanics, some to asians....I never even TRY to guess the SEX of my neices and nephews....I try to guess which parent they will look like! It is a wonderful, colorful, loving family!
I am so happy for you....you are both going to be fabulous parents~
♥,Lilly

A said...

I think that bead game sounds incredibly eye-opening!!! What a neat thing to do at your workshop. Will continue praying that God keeps your little ones safe until you meet them!

Deb said...

I did this at an event a few months ago. We're pretty diverse. But the lady next to me had an all white bowl with her one black bead of the child she hoped to adopt. She felt horrible. Others at the table tried reassuring her that it's just an example of things that you can change to help your child feel more accepted into your life.