Friday, January 29, 2010

Part of My Story. . . The Conclusion

You can read Part 1 here
And Part 2 here

So, after my failed IVF in July, I spent a few days crying and mourning. If you have never been personally touched by infertility, you may not realize how big of a loss it is. But it's a huge loss. Loss of a dream of a biological child, loss of a dream of having a child that is biologically half of your husband, and half of you. Anyone who has ever experienced it will tell you that it is a profound experience to go through, and that it forever changes your life.

I felt profound loss when I decided in July of 2009 to stop treatments all together. I even sought help from a counselor who specializes in infertility. I only attended a couple sessions with her, but they were very helpful, and it helped me to think through my loss.

Once treatments were stopped, I slowly started returning to myself. When going through treatments, there is no normal. Life revolves around the treatments, and the medications. It felt good to be done with it. I started reaching out to people more, I started opening up about the past year of my life. I started meditating, and searching for the deeper meaning in everything I had experienced.

The biggest turning point for me was I lost the shame I felt in my situation. I realized that my inability to get pregnant was not my fault. I realized I had no control over the situation, at all. I realized that maybe my greater purpose in life was to create a family through adoption. To be an advocate for all the children in the world who desperately need families. I started to come to peace with the fact that biological children were not in my cards. . . but that didn't mean I couldn't live a full life. It also didn't mean that I wouldn't continue to mourn the loss I was feeling.

The other biggest turning point for me, was when I was reading a blog from a couple experiencing a similar situation. All of their treatments failed, and they had some serious reproductive issues. After many many failed attempts at IVF, the Doctors finally told them it was hopeless. They then started the adoption process. The last entry ever written on this blog said, "To all the people still experiencing infertility, I want to say this. If adoption is the worst possible outcome in all of this, than I consider ourselves pretty lucky." How true that statement was, and it hit home completely.

Through this all, I really realized there is something out there much bigger than myself. And that there was a plan for my life. And the best thing I could do to heal was to move on. I couldn't be one of those women who saught treatment for years. I couldn't. The treatment ate away at me. To me, moving on, and moving forward was the best thing I could do.

I also learned patience. Things in life won't always happen on my clock. I can't focus on those things that I have absolutely no control over. Instead, all of my energy needs to be focused on things I can control. That was a huge epiphany for me. I had no control over getting pregnant. I simply couldn't be sad about it anymore.

Taher and I traveled to Ireland in October 2009, and I felt alive again. I was the old Leah, instead of the sad and angry Leah that I had been the previous year. Taher and I walked around the beautiful cities in Ireland, and dreamed of our baby boy. We were happy. Pregnancy was the furthest thing from my mind. In fact, I had already accepted that I would never be pregnant. And it was okay. But apparently, there were other plans for my life. And apparently, the Luck of the Irish really exists. ;-) We aren't positive, but we're pretty sure we conceived on that trip.

Many people look at my story and think my happy ending was getting pregnant after 18 months of struggling. But I believe my happy ending started before the pregnancy. I believe my happy ending was my decision to move on and move forward with my life.

And although Taher and I always wanted to adopt, I'm not sure if we ever would have "gotten around to it." It's expensive, it's tedious, it's difficult. . . If we hadn't struggled to get pregnant, I highly doubt we would be on the waitlist right now. Because of that, I am even more confident that this was the plan all along. That this is HOW it was all supposed to play out.

I wanted to share this story so openly because I'm not ashamed. I also wanted to share it because I want you to know you're not alone. Many couples experience this. It isn't anyone's fault. We all have our own stories. . . and this is mine. Infertility shouldn't be taboo. It's a huge problem and people shouldn't be scared to discuss it. I know for me, talking about it helped me to heal.

20 comments:

The Busters said...

Beautiful post and beautiful you! I am so grateful to have you as a friend. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope there are some readers out there that are inspired and will be encouraged to pick up the pieces and move on.
All my love, Emily

Kelly said...

Talking about it is SO helpful. Hence the blogging we have chosen to do! Thanks for sharing your story and your thoughts.

Alissa said...

Thanks for sharing your story and your process, Leah. I'm so sorry for all of the sadness that you went through, and so happy that everything is coming together like it was meant to be. Isn't it weird when you reach the end of what felt like a hard and chaotic time, and you look back and can see a design in it all? Your ability to do so is an inspiration!

Jenny said...

thank you so much for sharing all of your story with us! it's such a difficult journey, and i know how alone it can feel. i hope your openness has helped someone to realize that they aren't alone and that there is always hope!

Cicero said...

A little strange to see your life on paper. Makes me remember all that shit we had to go through. Equally bizarre is that after all the hoops we jumped through, the timing and tracking, ultrasounds every week, drugs drugs and more drugs, poor service by some professionals, taking a sperm and putting it in your egg..after all that they still couldnt make a child. Then it just happened..if thats not evidence that we are totally powerless then what is?

Trinity said...

I just want to give you a big, squishy hug. :) (And I mean that in the least creepy way possible, hehehe.) Simply said: you're all kinds of awesome.

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Your awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your story! I due believe that it helps heal a lil bit over everyone out there just knowing we are not alone in this crazy world!

Raising Davis Darlings said...

Beautiful story! Thanks for posting.

Andrea said...

Leah,

I always come away from here with a renewed sense of self and spirit. You seem to always articulate many of the feelings that I feel and its nice to know I'm not alone in what swirls in my head. Knowing that you did eventualy find peace is wonderful. It's hard to let go of a dream, but thankfully things turned in your favor :) I'm at a crossroads myself, as to whether or not to persue treatment. It's a big decision and I my greatest fear is that it will consume my life...the life that I feel I've just gotten back following 8 months of grieving loss.

You are an inspiration to us all and thank you for having the strength to tell your story.

Much Love

Leah said...

Andrea - I know you may not see this, but if you happen to, I'm just wondering, do you have a blog? If you do, I'd love to follow it. I went under your profile, and could only see the blogs you were following, but it didn't look like you had one of your own.

Jewls said...

Leah, your story is so beautiful! Thanks so much for being willing to share it!

Andrea said...

Leah,

Thank you for the thoughtful comment that you left on my blog today :) It was after I read your latest post that I awas able to articulate how I was feeling. Afraid to move forward with testing, but afraid not to. Thank you for the inspiration and most of all for being so honest.

Hugs,
Andrea
www.persuitofourfairytale.blogspot.com

rebecca said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story, it brought tears to my eyes. I can relate to so much of your story. We too believe we will pursue adoption in the future b/c of what we've gone through with infertility. It has opened our hearts to adoption in a way that wasn't there prior to IF. I look forward to following your journey!

E said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Having been through several failed IVF cycles myself, I knew the pain well that you wrote about. You're so right that writing (or talking) about it helps in the healing process. I love this blogging community!

Amber said...

I so agree with everything that you said and what a beautiful post. I agree with letting go of things that is exactly how it all came for us as well after we let go of all the treatments. Thanks for sharing your story you always have wonderful thoughts and words to share with others.

Michele said...

What a lovely post. It brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story. So many people will read this and be encouraged!

I love this - "To all the people still experiencing infertility, I want to say this. If adoption is the worst possible outcome in all of this, than I consider ourselves pretty lucky."

It's definitely true...

IVF Clinic India said...

Great Post.....

I found your site on stumbleupon and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!

Thanks for sharing....

Brooke said...

I don't see anywhere to email you, so I am sending you a drawn out comment!! :) My husband and I lost a baby to a fatal birth defect in September, already having our heart set on an adoption. God began moving our hearts to adopt, although we were not opposed to a biological child as well. As it turned out, we began the adoption process and found out we were pregnant during the home study. We are waiting for our paperwork from USCIS (we already did fingerprints) and then we will be on the waitlist for an infant boy from Ethiopia. We are pregnant with a boy as well. THere are a MILLION questions I have for you....if you might be willing to talk. I love your honesty and openness...and it scares me to death, but it is SO HELPFUL for my heart to hear. Just want you to know I would love to hear about your journey....I know you are busy (as am I)...but I would love any communication. I think I have a lot to learn from you! :)
Brooke

Anonymous said...

The organization gives one particular particular [url=http://cungmuahotdeal.com/thoi-trang.html]mua hang gia re tphcm[/url] for every functioning working day in every and each and every of the marketplaces it serves. The Groupon functions as an assurance offer making use of ThePoint's platform: if a particular selection of folks indicator up for the offer you, then the deal will get to be available to all if the predetermined minimal is not happy, no one will get the offer you that functioning working day. This lowers risk for stores, who can handle the low cost discount coupons as quantity special discounts as appropriately as earnings marketing gear. Groupon assists make money by retaining roughly fifty p.c the revenue the customer pays for the coupon.

For instance, an $80 therapeutic massage could be received by the client for $forty by means of Groupon, and then Groupon and the retailer would split up the $forty. That is, the retailer presents a therapeutic massage valued at $80 and will get roughly $20 from Groupon for it (beneath a fifty%/50% split up). Or, if $240 price of house portray services is bought by the consumer for $fifty by indicates of Groupon, then the enterprise will get $20 5 and Groupon retains $twenty five. The client will get the therapeutic massage, or the house portray company, in these illustrations, from the retailer for which they at first paid $forty (or $fifty) to Groupon. There are distinct firms to which Groupon to start with did not offer its answers, such as having pictures ranges and strip golf equipment nonetheless, getting photos ranges have been highlighted on Groupon.

As opposed to labeled advertising, the services provider does not spend any upfront price to participate: Groupon collects private info from inclined buyers and then contacts only individuals consumers, mostly by working day-to-day digital mail, who may possibly possibly be fascinated in a certain answer or providers.

Groupon employs a large selection of copywriters who draft descriptions for the reductions showcased by electronic mail and on the internet site. Groupon's marketing textual content for the 'deals' has been witnessed as a contributing factor to the track record of the website, showcasing a distinctive blend of full truth-analyzing and witty humor.

Owing to Groupon's market currently currently being mostly composed of female customers, the discounts are normally targeted on the overall health, overall health and splendor markets.

There are possible concerns with the company solution. For scenario in stage, a successful offer could briefly swamp a very small organization with way too many clients, jeopardizing a likelihood that buyers will be dissatisfied, or that there will not be enough merchandise to meet the wish. Gap, a massive outfits retailer, was in a situation to take care of 445,000 coupon codes in a countrywide provide (although it educated server difficulties at one specific stage), but a smaller sized business could change into all of a sudden flooded with consumers. A single specific espresso shop in Portland, Oregon struggled with an increase in customers for three months, when it marketed close to one,000 Groupons on the 1 day it was supplied, in accordance to a single report. In reaction to connected problems, Groupon officers point out that 'deal' subscriptions ought to be capped in development to a inexpensive sum.

Read More: [url=http://compare2travel.com/mua-hang-dien-tu-tren-website-gia-re/]khuyen mai gia re[/url]