I want to preface this post by saying, I feel so loved and supported by all, and it's the best feeling in the world. I hate to use my blog as a place to complain, because I am so happy and blessed in my life. But it is also a place I try to educate people. This is really the main reason I started the blog in the first place. To educate people about the adoption process. Most of the time, I'm just preaching to the choir, afterall, I'm guessing the majority of my blog readers have adopted or are planning to adopt.
Moving on. . .
When announcing our pregnancy to people, the first inevitable question we were asked was, "Are you still planning to adopt? This question I fully expected, and it didn't bother me at all. Afterall, many agencies won't even let you adopt if you are pregnant. So, I expected the question and was fine with it.
But the second thing most people sayd was the inevitable comment that bothered me. This comment was (and is) being made constantly. Almost.Every.Single.Time. The comment most people make is that all one has to do is adopt and then they'll end up pregnant. Or I'll tell people I'm pregnant, and they'll just laugh and say I told you so. I told you once you started the adoption process you'd get pregnant. (Really? You knew? Because I was almost 100% positive that I'd never have a biological child, so I'm so glad by your certainty) Or the stories people tell me. Because almost every person I've shared my pregnancy news with knows of someone who adopted and then got pregnant. As if that was the only thing people struggling to get pregnant needed to do. Yes, just adopt people, and then you'll get pregnant.
Yes, I have heard this comment no less than 5,435 times. And I know people mean well. These comments are coming from wonderful, supportive people who have been nothing but great to me. But the comment does bother me, and it's frankly, just not true. I've researched the frequency of this happening, and it's actually very rare. So rare in fact, that when it does happen, it's been known to make the news.
And I don't doubt that many people out there know someone who adopted and then got pregnant. But don't make the assumption that the person was adopting just because they couldn't get pregnant. People adopt for all sorts of reasons. T and I were going to adopt regardless of our fertility. It was always part of our plan.
People started making this comment to us before we were even pregnant. They liked to tell us that as soon as we started the adoption process, we'd get pregnant. That comment equally irked me. I was 100% okay with not getting pregnant. I was 100% in for the adoption, and that was the most important thing. People just assumed we were only adopting because we couldn't get pregnant.
I want to end this post by saying again that I know people mean well. But the comments people make stick with me, as I'm sure they stick with other people who have heard those comments. Always try to be aware of the comments you make to people and how those comments affect them. I know I'm guilty of making unintentionally hurtful comments. Everyone does it, and in most situations, it's simply a learning opportunity.
(As I finished typing this post, the Director of my department approached me. He wanted to offer his congratulations, and he shook my hand. He then said, "I have a neighbor who couldn't get pregnant, couldn't get pregnant, and then they adopted an adorable little boy, and bam, she got pregnant." AHHHHHHHHHHHH. That is me screaming!!! I certainly haven't discussed my fertility with my Director. Why do people make assumptions that people only adopt because of infertility? It's a really scary assumption to make. Okay. . . fuming. . . must go eat chocolate to calm nerves)
21 comments:
Oh, Leah, I know exactly what you mean! I hear it constantly since we announced our adoption..."You know what's going to happen...you're going to get pregnant...yada, yada, yada!" I've heard it about 5,000 times also and every time it bothers me as if adopting isn't enough. I've been trying to say, "Yes, that would be wonderful but even if it doesn't I'm okay with that."
Hi Leah, I'm so glad you posted about this as I was going to send you an email with a question about the very same topic. My husband and I are in the infertility struggle and I'm amazed by how many people give you this comment. At this point we aren't ready to adopt, but I don't understand why people think this type of comment/story is supposed to bring one comfort. I know they mean well, but I don't get it. How are you handling the comments you're getting? How did you when you were struggling with infertility? Love your prospective; continued prayers for a smooth adoption process and healthy pregnancy for you.
i HATE that comment! and i HATE it when people tell me that's what will happen to me! especially since i am 100% okay with NEVER getting pregnant now! it makes me feel like people think that this is our route to pregnancy... like we're trying this to get us pregnant. i'm so sorry you're having to deal with those stupid comments. i would lose it! i'm so glad you at least have blogger friends and a wonderful DH that understands!
I get this comment too...not that I'm pregnancy right now, but family/friends say "just wait...you'll probably get preggo after she comes home"...and things like that. It's annoying, I agree.
It's so frustrating that people do stuff like that. I cringed when I had to tell people that we were finally pregnant because 1. it happened on vacation and 2. we had just finished our home study and we're about to apply to a placement agency. I almost always get "see you just had to relax" or "it's cause you were so close to adopting." It annoys me so much. I try to shrug it off because I figured I've been annoying/dense at some point in the past...
I was having coffee with a girlfriend yesterday and she told me that her brother and SIL have just announced to family that they plan to adopt. I immediately thought about you and how the response to your announcement was rather underwhelming. I told my friend a bit about your story and she planned to go pick up a "Congratulations Expectant Parent" card right away!
So your story IS educating people and helping at least 2 adoptive parents in Canada feel special!!
:)
Leah, I wish I could hug you right now. You have every right to be super frustrated and to eat lots of chocolate!! If only I had a dollar for every time someone told me that since we are adopting we will now get pregnant. It is such an offensive comment on so many levels!! I think you should start asking people for a $1 every time they make that comment. Seriously. Think how much money you will raise for your adoption!! You could tell people it is a sociology experiment.Okay, I am only half kidding. :) I even was talking with a friend about a possible second adoption and she said, "oh you won't NEED to adopt for the second because you'll get pregnant." I wanted to punch her. Literally. If you come up with a good response please let us know!! LOVE to you!!
Happy to see you post this. I do not get bothered by many things, but we are STILL hearing this and we have been married nearly 7 years. If I do get pregnant it wont be because I have adopted, it will be because this is when God wanted me to be pregnant and had nothing to do with adoption, yet, I keep hearing it, and I cannot get anyone to understand that adoption does not cure infertility. That if I was pregnant it is no different then adopting twice. This is not a "once you adopt you relax" situation. I want to just scream when someone tells me that. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. It does not give me comfort. Makes me feel like they do not believe my daughter is important enough or any future children. Genes mean nothing to me. After all, I love my husband dearly, and I am not related to him by genes, lol.
Oh Leah. I am so sorry. So sorry. We stopped our adoption/fostering because they wouldnt let us do it pregnant (have to wait at least one year after birth). I had people say similar things to us. And I wanted to smack them.
Thinking of you...
My theory is that it's just one person that actually adopted and then got pregnant that everyone somehow "knows." Sort of like six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.
I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with these insensitive comments. It's bad enough for anyone adopting to hear it, but to hear it when you are both adopting and pregnant must be extra-hard to take. I don't know why anyone would think that that would be a helpful or supportive thing to say. Sorry, friend.
Ugh....I HATE HATE HATE that comment, too!! If I had a nickel, heck, even a penny!!, for everytime that's been said to me, I'd be filthy rich. I swear people just don't know what to say, but it gets SO old and (for me) makes for some really awkward situations. Hang in there!
I haven't commented in a while - so first I want to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so excited for you on both the pregnancy and the adoption progress!!
I heard that comment a million times too!!! It still drives me crazy...as if adoption was some kind of mythical fertility treatment!!! It's just one of those things that people say to fill up space in a conversation with out actually thinking...
I am right there with you. Just about everyone I know says that to me, even some family!!! I read somewhere (can't exactly remember but) that only 5% of people who adopt due to infertility issues end up getting pregnant and those 5% only inlcudes ones that could get pregnant and just not carry it to term. I tell people that and what do they say??? Oh, well that 5% could be you.... BIG SIGH....
I am SO thankful you posted this and to know I am not alone in HATING that comment! I had to grit my teeth every time someone said that now that we were adopting we would get pregnant...as if that was why we were adopting!!!! So frustrating. Plus it really takes away from the joy you are feeling for you adoption - it kind of sounds like once you get the adoption out of the way, then you can get on with it and have your OWN kids (yes, I've heard that one too). I am sure you are dealing with it even more now that you are enjoying the blessings of adopting and pregnancy, and I am sorry for that. I always try to tell myself that maybe I would have made that comment too if I hadn't walked this road. But it's still frustrating.
A wonderful, honest post!
I can only imagine...as it was advice given to me...it must be a frustrating thing to hear...
Yuck. I'm sorry. Somebody just told me this weekend if we adopted I'd get pregnant. What the heck. I'm sure you have to endure it a million times more - I'm sorry!
Oh how I know exactly what you mean because we got the same exact comments it irks me to no end to.
This has to be so frustrating! Even movies perpetuate this stereotype! All I can think of is that stupid Sex and the City movie where Charlotte gets pregnant after they adopt their first daughter from China! Ahhh! No wonder people make ignorant, completely non-based-in-reality stereotypes! I'm so sorry for you!
I thought you'd get a lot of those. It would annoy the crap out of me too. I don't think people understand where the people they say those things to have come from to get to the point of adoption, whether it be a plan regardless of fertility or a Plan B to having their own children. Either way, think those words, but don't say them. Not only because it is super annoying, but also because it can be hurtful. Grrr! It steams me too.
Agreed. And it is one of my biggest pet peeves when people act as though or think as though adoption is a "plan b."
Oh...and just a "heads up," (I wanted to message you, but couldn't find an address) It is rumored that fundraising publicly could risk one's adoption. This happened when we were in the process and ET forbid the couple from adopting. That was the reason ET gave...but I think there were other things too. Just something to check with your agency with. :)
I look forward to following your story and living through others who are in the process. I would love to be but alas, now is not the right time.
Post a Comment