Thursday, October 7, 2010

All My Bags Are Packed, I'm Ready To Go

And won't T be surprised when he learns that I'm smuggling TT into the suitcase and she's coming with!!!
Okay, not really, but it was an idea!

It's crazy. . . when we first started this adoption process, I dreamed of the day T and I would get on a plane together. . . excited and anxious about meeting our son. Things have played out very differently. Instead, the process got changed requiring two trips, and I got pregnant, and TT was born. So, here we are. . . I'll be heading on a plane with my Mom, and T will be home with TT. It's very different than I imagined, but I have peace that we are doing what we think is best for our family.

So . . . packing! It was really easy to pack for Nur. I packed diapers, a lot of clothes, both long sleeved and short, pajamas, sleep sacks, socks, books, a couple of small toys, bottles, wipes, diaper rash ointment, lotion, bath stuff, baby tylenol, bibs, burp clothes. . . Am I forgetting anything? I decided to buy his formula in Ethiopia as I've heard from others that it is best to buy it there so not to change them on their food because it can cause major blowouts.

I'm almost done packing for myself. I've checked the weather, and it's supposed to be about 73 and sunny during the day, and about 55 at night. So, I'm thinking layers. I'm also going to bring a journal so I can document my entire trip. . . as that is something I want to give Nur someday. I'm also bringing a video camera, as I really want to capture the moment I meet my son. T had someone capture the moment he met Nur, and it is something I will treasure FOREVER.

Any last minute suggestions on things I absolutely must bring?

I feel as ready as I'm ever going to feel. I'm so happy that we are finally at this point and that Nur will finally be coming home. I'm emotional about leavings two very important members of the family behind. I pray that T will do a good job being a single parent for the week, and I pray that TT has fun with her baba and hardly notices I'm gone. I also pray that T won't have trouble asking for help. I know he'll do a great job, but I also know it will be overwhelming doing it all himself. I'm mostly emotional about meeting Nur. I'm trying to have realistic expectations about it. Just because I'm over the moon excited to meet him, I shouldn't expect the same reaction out of him. I'm a stranger to him. It will be completely normal if he is scared, cries, and wants nothing to do with me. This will be a process. But I have so much comfort in the fact that for the rest of my life, I get to be him mama.

Tomorrow is going to be crazy emotional. Okay, all week I've been extremely emotional. I have no doubt that I will be that person at the airport crying my eyes out. I'm not ready to leave my baby (Not sure if I'd ever be ready) but I also know that me going to Ethiopia is necessary to get the missing person in our family home.

28 comments:

Jenny said...

AHHHHHHHHH! It's almost HERE!!!!! TT is too cute in your suitcase!

Mel said...

so excited for you !! your day has come :-)
enjoy beautiful ET, the sunshine and the warmth there..oh, and mainly your new baby boy!
safe travels.
blessings,
mel

RELH said...

What cute picture! She is adorable. I couldn't imagine having to leave your little one for a few days, but when you return your family will be complete! I can't wait to hear updates. Are you going to be able to update while your are gone?

Joy said...

Hope your trip is everything you would love it to be!

Charity said...

I love the first picture... it's sweet. Scarlett is growing up quickly!

Enjoy your journey to Ethiopia. Enjoy your first moments with your son and have a safe trip home.

Anonymous said...

Missing anything.. hmmm... (trying to imagine being there with you while packing..)
Car seat? Do babies need car seats for air planes? It's been about 16 years since I've been on a plane with a baby. Or does he have one there? Years ago car seats were not needed on planes. Mothers held the babies on their laps. I heard it's mandatory now to buy separate tickets for babies and they had to be in car seats. Like I said it's been a very long time. I don't know the rules any more regarding babies and plane rides.
I hope your trip is wonderful.

Chelle said...

Oh Leah I am so EXCITED for you! The day is almost here! I can't believe it! It is so incredible to think how long it has taken this day to arrive, yet here it is.

I can't even put into words how excited I am for you. I have butterflies and I want to cry tears of joy.

I cannot WAIT until you get K home, tell us all about the trip, and finally, finally post pictures of this beautiful little guy who is your son.

Sending you loads of well wishes, love, and hugs, prayers for a safe trip, a smooth process, and of course for a quick bond.

*HUGE HUGS!*

Jessica said...

I'm praying for safe travels, uneventful week at home for T and Scarlett, and that your meeting Khalil is one of the greatest moments of your life. I think, deep down, he'll see you and know you're someone he wants to know. And in a few months, you'll get in a pattern and your kids will be happy and healthy!

This is an amazing adventure. You won't regret it! Good luck!

Mommy Shoes said...

Prayers for a safe trip and return with your little man.

Andrea said...

Sweetest Leah,

My heart swells just thinking about this journey that you are about to take...the extended journey I should say, as this journey to Khalil started long ago. Now, its about to come to fruition and you will very soon hold this little miracle in your arms, his mama's arms. I find myself sitting here in tears as I write, as I can only imagine what "that day" is going to be like.

In the coming days, I wish you safe travels, peace of heart, incredible JOY and all things Family.

Much Love to you....

Now, GO get your precious son!

xxx

jv726 said...

I'm so excited for you! Good luck on your trip and I am sure it will fly by and you will be home with your WHOLE family in no time!!

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

Hmmmmmm how many visit trips and when I was living in Guatemala did I think of packing up Maya and heading for home? alot!
Have a wonderful trip, definetly right buy some extra formula to bring home and then start slowly mixing a little of the new and keep increasing it until you are totall off the old formula. Have a wonderful trip!!!!

Amy said...

I'm so excited for you!!! I can't wait to see K in your arms. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Have a safe trip!!!

Mayme said...

Good luck! Everything is going to work out great.

Anonymous said...

Bon voyage, Leah! Best wishes for a wonderful trip. I think you are very smart in trying to manage your expectations of when you meet Khalil. It will take him time to know and love you, but it will happen! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Happy travels! Heather

Joie said...

I am SO excited for you and your family! And Khalil!

I cannot wait for the photos and the DETAILED account of everything!

Gosh, I just feel butterflies and it's just amazing!

HAVE FUN LEAH!!!Tell Khalil hi for ALL of us!

Deni said...

So excited for you and can't wait for you to get home with your beautiful son and him to meet his sister, this is just so exciting!! A girl in my bible study group's sister just adopted from overseas, and it has been a great transition, with him just snuggling right in like he was always meant to be there--I'm praying the same for you (there rough day was getting shots, but that's rough no matter what!). Praying for safety, for peace for you, for Kahlil to warm up quickly, for T to enjoy his special day with TT, and for you all to know that you're doing the right thing and your family is so blessed!! Sending you love as you go, can't wait for you to get back, I'm literally smiling ear to ear with tears in my eyes thinking about it!!!

Kristi J said...

wow..i feel your pain!! :) praying for a wonderfully blessed trip!! take some simple teether toys that he can hold and chew on...that's LL did the whole time I held her :) kj

Anonymous said...

I love the suitcase picture. Very cute. Wouldn't customs be surprised when they opened that suitcase up???

Well, safe travels, Leah! Can't believe the day is almost here. I am so excited to hear all about your trip and to learn how Khalil is adapting to his new family (and vice versa). You have so many people praying for you!

Lyndsay said...

Safe travels Leah!! I hope it all goes completely smoothly!

Unknown said...

You will have a wonderful, life changing time!

One thing (that sounds so obsessive...which I never am) that was vital to us was this: pack his clothes in individual plastic ziplocks. When they get messy, just put them back in the bags...there isn't always somewhere to wash. It saved us so many times as we traveled with both the babies.

Best of luck! And enjoy it! Your baby girl will be SO SO well taken care of and will give you lots of baby hugs when you get back.

Wendy said...

Wishing you all the best on your journey to your son! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Love the picture, too! She's just too cute!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I am so excited for you! Have a GREAT trip! I am sure it will be wonderful! :)

Make sure you take A LOT of pictures! You can never have enough!

My hubby and I brought our lap top and a bunch of DVDs to help pass the time away at night when we were not tired... Korea is 15 hours ahead so our night is thier day... we had MAJOR jet lag!

Jewls said...

Holy smokes! Sooooo excited for you guys!!

scooping it up said...

good luck my dear. i hope the trips is good, happy and can't wait to read all about it. i am nervous for you on that bloody flight back. it's hell. good luck!!!

Buckles Family said...

We're so excited for you to meet your son!! We also can't wait to see pictures of you holding him in your arms. I pray you have a safe trip!

Trinity said...

Have a safe trip, Leah! SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!

Love and hugs, girl!