Monday, September 21, 2009

Dossier

Over the weekend, T and I received our packet of our Dossier paperwork. The Dossier is required for international adoptions. . . Feel free to click here if you want a further explanation.

I'm not going to lie. . . the stack of papers overwhelmed me a bit. So many different things are required, such as financial history, the deed to our home, letters that Taher and I will write to the orphanage. Not only is that aspect a bit overwhelming, but also overwhelming is the fact that everything must be notarized. I'm wishing I had a friend who was a notary. Anyone, anyone? ;-)

T and I have a conference call with our agency this evening, and that will allow us to ask the questions we need to ask.

As overwhelming as this final stack of paperwork is, I also had the realization over the weekend of how much closer we are to being on that waiting list. We are getting really REALLY close! Once we are done with all of this paperwork, we'll send it to our agency, and then we'll just wait for the government to approve our I-600A, which is already in the works, but could take up to 90 days.

Everyone who has adopted has told me that the very hardest part of adoption is once you're on the waiting list. I'm not sure how I'll feel, but a part of me is thinking the waiting list will be "easy" because I won't have to worry about gathering paperwork, etc. Instead, T and I can start thinking about the baby's room and things like that. I guess we'll see. . . I mean, EVERYONE has told me the waitlist is the hardest part, so there must be truth to that.

In other news. . . AKA Twilight News. . . I spent my weekend reading. Literally, that's almost all I did. And I am now done with all 4 books. WOW. What a story. I was completely pulled in. I don't know what it is about good fiction that pulls me in, but I always have a few days of melancholy after reading good fiction, like I'm experiencing a loss or something. Even though I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks that involves a long plane ride, I think I'll stick to non-fiction. I don't want to be melancholy on the trip! ;-)

And if you haven't signed up for this week's raffle, check it out HERE. It's a beautiful handmade vase. :-D

15 comments:

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Yay!!! Getting closer!!!!

Jenny said...

yay! you ARE one step closer!!! just take that dossier document by document and you'll be done in no time!

Donna said...

Organizing the paperwork was the hardest part! I had to make myself a checklist to keep track of it all.

We spent so much money on getting everything notarized and authenticated... but once you're done it feels like a HUGE accomplishemnt.

Every little bit is progress...

I'm not sure what country you are adopting from - but I do know for us - we didn't ahve long to wait for a refferal - our wait came after we saw our littel girl for the first time. It was the most miserable 10 months ever!!! But then we brought her home and everything was right in the world.

roy/elisabeth dean said...

Waiting is the hardest part of ANYTHING! I'll bet after you get the paperwork done, it will feel like conception. Then you'll have the "morning sickness" waiting to be approved, then you'll get the nursery completed, then wait for those contractions to start! You're getting so close!!! Congratulations~
♥,Lilly

Alissa said...

Congrats on being so close to the waiting list! = )

I also read the entire Twilight series in one week. I didn't get much sleep that week! = )Also, I am completely the same as you with fiction books. I get so involved in the stories and characters that I get a little melancholy when it is all over!

Jillene said...

Getting so much closer--so exciting!!

Anonymous said...

You are really making progress! That's great!
Liam

Chelle said...

Knowing you, you'll breeze right through that paperwork. I think the hardest part would be the letters. Good luck getting started with it all!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on all the progress!

I'm also a "nut" when it comes to literature. I get so wrapped up in the stories, it's so sad to be done with them.
Kelsie

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Good luck with all that paperwork...you are getting closer!! :)

And I am totally the same way after reading fiction...I didn't want the Twilight series to end! I was so sad. :( Have you read Midnight Sun? It's available on Stephanie Meyer's website...it's Twilight but from Edward's perspecitve. It's only like 12 chapters or so...she stopped writing it after it leaked on the internet, but then decided to share it on her site since it was already out there. It's a GREAT read...I'm hoping she'll finish it one day!!

Trinity said...

Cool! You guys are getting closer and closer! I never thought about the fact that they'd need to see the deed to your home! I guess that makes sense, but wow, they ask you for everything, huh?

Good luck with the paperwork! :)

Deb said...

Have fun getting it all together. Check with your bank to see if they'll notarize it all free. Likely you'll need something from them anyhow.

The wait is hard but only torture if you let it be. What's the estimated wait time till your referral. Having an estimate really helps I think.

The Busters said...

I also found the dossier paperwork to be very overwhelming and the notary stuff is such a pain. Luckily one of Damon's co-workers was a notary but we didn't really want her notarizing all of our personal financial information documents so we took those to the bank and they usually have a notary or two on staff. Email me if you have specific questions or if you want to vent!! Hugs!

Michele said...

I cant wait until you are on the wait list. Then it is just a bit until your baby comes home!!!

Deanna said...

I'll bet all that paper work was intimidating! Your bank would probably be glad to provide notary service for you free of charge.