I'm not sure when the passion started. I'm also not sure why it started. But ever since I can remember, my biggest passion has been seeing the world.
Did it start by my urge for diversity in my hometown of rural MN? Did it start when I lived with exchange students from Norway in College? Did it start by my passion for foreign languages? I can't pinpoint the exact moment it started, but it's a burning passion in my life. I think it always will be.
I received my first passport when I was 21 years old. The only other country I had been to before that was Canada. Those were the pre 9/11 days, when we could travel to Canada with just a license or birth certificate, therefore I never had the need for a passport.
The circumstances around why I got a passport to begin with are a bit tragic, but at the same time, that "tragedy" is also the reason my life is the way it is now. Therefore, I'm glad it happened. Let's just say I applied for a passport for a very specific reason, and that reason didn't work out. One day in college, I went to check my mail like I did every day, and in my mailbox was my very first passport. I completely forgot I had even applied for a passport because it had been at least 2 months prior.
So, here I was. 21 years old, a passport in hand, a heart that needed mending, and no where to go. That changed quickly when an opportunity presented itself by my wonderful relative MG, who was living in Holland at the time with her family. My Grandma wanted to go visit MG in Holland, but didn't feel comfortable traveling there alone. NO PROBLEM. I agreed to travel with my Grandma there. My mom decided she wouldn't mind the vacation either, so she met my Grandma and I there.
I stayed a month, and it was a wonderful, healing, life changing trip! I spent many days in Amsterdam, where a few Norwegian friends met me from Norway. I also spent many days in other parts of Holland. Then a few of us took a ferry over the English Channel and spent a few days in London. I remember sitting on a bench in Hyde Park in London, and just people watching. The manerisms of people were different, the fashion was different, people in general were thinner, their disposition was different. I was enthralled with all of it. At night, I would go out on the town and engage locals in conversation. I was always amazed at how worldly these "foreigners" were. They knew details about America, yet I couldn't tell them anything about their country. I couldn't tell them who the president of Holland was? Or if they had a parliament? Yet these people knew so much about my country, and of the countries of the world.
That's when I realized how isolated I felt here in America. I was so focused learning about American history, that I didn't know about the history of the world. It was at that point I made it my goal to learn as much as possible about different countries. . . their culture, their politics, their people. Sometimes I wonder if there would be more world peace if more people had passports. Traveling has taught me so much about different countries and it's made me realize how many similarities we all have.
I left Holland and England a month later, and I felt like a new person. My life's passion was ignited, and I felt whole. My first trip abroad became the first of many. I couldn't get enough of it. For the first time in my life, I felt like a world citizen, instead of just an American citizen. Obviously, I will always identify myself as American, because that is what I am. But I am not just American. I am part of a much greater whole. And although I am very proud of who I am and where I am from, I do sometimes wonder if I was born in the wrong place? Or am living in the wrong era?
T and I dream about living abroad someday, but for now, I will quench my thirst with my travels. In a little over a week, T and I will depart for our next adventure. And when the monkey is with us, we look forward to travels as a whole family.
I leave you with some of my favorite travel pictures.
CANADA
ENGLAND
HOLLAND
ESTONIA
FINLAND
RUSSIA
PORTUGAL

NORWAY
SWEDENBELIZE
MEXICO
MEXICOEGYPT


Is there anywhere you've ever wanted to travel to? Is there somewhere you've been that you would highly recommend?





18 comments:
I've always wanted to visit Ireland and Chile.
I went to school with an exchange student from Chile, She told me if I ever visited to go to Southern Chile and see the Ocean from there. I can only Imagine the beauty.
Ireland...
I would highly recommend Costa Rica. It was one of the beautiful places I've ever been. Dont do a tourist resort, though; make sure you do as the locals... It makes a huge difference there. (As it does in most places, but my mom visited and did a resort thing and while she had a fine time, I think my trip was way better.)
I also have wanted to visit Ireland! Maybe one day... LOVE all your travel pics!
I absolutely loved Ireland.
I want to visit everywhere! Italy and Switzerland are two tops, oh and Australia, Africa... the list is endless.
But I also want to visit all 50 states and I have a long way to go to get there too.
I LOVE your pictures! I too would love to go to Ireland!
I loved Italy - would go back again and again in a heartbeat! And I've always wanted to see Egypt. My in-laws went last year and loved it.
I love to travel but don't really get much of a chance to do it anymore. I really loved Istanbul and Guatemala (that's where our daughter is from) - but there really isn't a place I've visited that I can really say I disliked. Every place has it's charm and it's draw.
I've always wanted to go to India, Thailand, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland... Maybe I'll get there someday.
Nice photos, Leah! Dave still has (and wears)those crazy red pants from the one picture! = )
I love to travel, too! Dave and I have seriously tossed around the idea of living in another country for awhile. I guess we'll just have to see where fate takes us!
My top 5 places I want to visit: New Zealand, Iceland, Peru, Greece, Spain
The Czech Republic is beautiful. Prauge is one of my favorite places.
Wow! That's awesome!
I am the opposite. I actually don't like traveling. Too much anxiety for me. I'll just look at your pictures and pretend!
My word, woman, but you've been a lot of places!!
I loved the Portugal picture, it's just simple and lovely. They're all beauitful, though, must have been tough to try and find one or two that represented each trip. :)
We loved Ireland when we went, we stayed outside the city of Dublin in Killarney and one of the days we drove out to Glendalough. It was so beautiful and everything that you picture in your mind Ireland to be. :)
I would love to go to Paris. I had plans to go there this summer with my 15 year old daughter, Molly and 7 kids from the French Club. I had to cancel at the last minute because my hubby took a turn for the worse, but Molly still got to go! She brought me so many pretty things and TONS of pictures to make me feel like I had been there too!
Thanks for stopping by to see me and especially for the prayers~
♥,Lilly
Wow! Beautiful photos!
I loved Thailand. LOVED it. My husband and I went there twice- to Bangkok and Phuket. Breathtaking, gorgeous experience.
Thanks for the cheers on my blog! You are so sweet!!
You need to go to China...we were there twice last year. The most amazing people, culture and countryside
Wow, so much fun! I love your passion :)
Hmm...I would love to go to Italy & Thailand.
You really are very well traveled. There is a song by Lemon Jelly that reminds me of you. Its called Rambling Man. Even better is I found out about that band while on a day tour of Scotland, which is where I highly recommend you visit if you haven't yet. Hubs and I want to go back so badly, and the idea of retiring there sounds really great to us. Just know that everything shuts down at 5:00 every day, except the pubs of course. :)
Found your blog through Jen! I loved your post about your wonderful experience abroad. My husband and I just moved from OR to Germany for his job. I am a teacher, so I got a job at an international school and it is so amazing to work with kids from all over the world! Enjoy your trip to Ireland, hopefully we will go there someday as well!
Katie
www.sneakerteacher.blogspot.com
We love traveling domestically but I really want to travel internationally. We have family in Norway so that would probably be our first stop. I have always wanted to visit Vienna. There are so many other places I would love to see. Hopefully soon!
Post a Comment