Today (Thursday) is my LAST day ever of my 20's. Yes, tomorrow I will be 30 years old! It's hard to believe, because just yesterday, I remember being 20. I was a naive sophomore in college when I turned 20. It's been a wonderful decade though. My most transformative decade. I've learned SO much, that I'm barely recognizable. I'm still me, but wiser. I'm still me, but with wider eyes and different outlooks. But I'm still me.
I learned so much during my 20's. SO MUCH.
I learned that a four year degree does not mean entitlement. I also learned that no matter how much I went into debt for that private school education, it was worth it. EVERY penny of it. I wouldn't change a thing.
I learned that goodbyes suck. I mean SUCK. The pain is unbelievable, and it's true, life will never be the same. But life will go on, and your friends will always be your friends, and they will always be there for you. . . Even if from a different continent.
I learned that no matter how difficult life gets, take some time for yourself. Because life WILL be hard sometimes. Take some time to sit in a park, be alone, and reflect.
I learned that our earth is huge. There is a lot of world out there. . . Outside the borders of the U.S. And I learned different viewpoints and that not everyone is dying to live in the United States. I also learned that going to Buckingham Palace does not guarantee that you get to see Prince William.
I learned that on a 10 hour flight to Finland, instead of drinking screwdrivers, one should probably drink water. . . AND REST.
I learned that Russia is an amazing place to visit. And that there are friends, who even though you haven't seen them in YEARS, will still drive 10 hours from Moscow to St. Petersburg to see you, because that is what friends do.
I learned that being proposed to by the person you want to spend your life with is one of the most amazing things in the world.
I learned that unconditional love exists. I learned that I'm never alone in life.
On a trip to Norway, I learned that just because my Grandma's Great Grandmother was Norwegian, it does not make me Norwegian. To be Norwegian you must be born there. Yes. . . That I learned.When traveling to Egypt, I learned that humans have far more similarities than we do differences. I also learned that it's okay to be different. Life would be very boring if we were all the same.
I learned that dreams DO come true. Even when no one else gets your dream.

I learned that when life gets tough (and life WILL get tough) don't push people away. Lean on people, and be there when people need you to lean on.
I learned that life is really short. Enjoy it! Have fun! Smile! Don't take yourself too seriously. It's only life. . . afterall. ;-)
I learned that a girl growing up in rural MN, and a boy growing up in the city, can grow up, get married, and realize just how much they have in common with each other.
What have you learned in your 20's? Not in your 20's yet? What do you hope to learn, see, and do?

27 comments:
wow its amazing to see all the places you went you have definitely seen lots of the world! My hubbys bday is Sept. 8 and he will be 30 so yall are only a few days apart.
Happy Birthday Leah!
I hope your day is perfect in every way~
♥,Lilly
Wow. This is a really awesome post. Thank you for this.
From reading my blog, you know I'm still in my teens. What I want to do...wow. There are SO many things I want to do. I want to travel the world. I want to adopt a child. I want to help save someone's life. I want to be a teacher, or an author, or a humanitarian, or do something with international relations. I want to write a book. I want to help someone else know God, even if I don't know Him yet as well as I would like to.
Thank you for this post. (And Happy almost Birthday!)
Happy birthday!! I loved reading about your twenties -- may you learn more beautiful things in your thirties!
Great Post! Loved it!
Happy Birthday!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope it's filled with good times! :)
Great post! This year marks my entry into my 30's as well! For some reason I didn't freak out (and still haven't) over turning 30. Maybe it has something to do with me having a similar understanding and appreciation for what my life had brought me during my 20's. I don't know about you, but I'm excited and hopefull about what this decade will bring me. :)
Anyway, hope your birthday is a lovely one!
wow! what a great decade for you!!! best wishes for your next 10 years!!! and happy early birthday!
Happy Birthday Leah!!! This post was truly a joy to read. I think I am going to have to go back and read it again just so I can soak it all in. Have a fabulous day!
Your the best babe, you are such an amazing person! I get you all to myself too! For decades!!
Happy birthday for tomorrow...I loved looking at your photo's and learning a little more about you :)
Big hugs for your journey - I know that it is tough, but when you get the call and meet your babe - it is so totally worth it!
Here if you need to vent / chat
Love from sunny SAfrica
Natalie
That was a beautiful post Leah. I loved it! You are very well traveled. I am completely envious. My 30th birthday came and went silently 9 days after my baby was born. No blog post, no fanfare. Good on you for embracing the big 3-0!
Happy blessed birthday tomorrow. I hope the day is a big shabang. :)
What a great post. I loved seeing the pictures. You had a full decade. You should be proud. :)
Kelsie
What an awesome post!! I am so jealous of your amazing travels. :) Happy Birthday!! :)
Love the post! And love the pics!
Marie
wow, you really traveled in your 20s! And yes, actually many, many people in the world couldn't care less about the US and even have a profound disregard for the place.
i travelled in my 20s as well. It was fun. I kissed a lot, found my life companion, graduated, got a nice job and then abandoned a promising career. I discovered new ways to express my spirituality and even found a religion that totally fits me. In my 20s I came to my power. I'm 34 now, but harvesting a lot of the seeds that were planted in the last decade.
Happy birthday! may your 30s bring you even more wisdom and joy!
Happy Birthday tomorrow! Hope you have a great 30th! I loved the post!
Liam
Hey- Thanks for visiting with me and leaving a comment! Always so nice when people leave a trace! How funny to see your photos from Oslo!
Happy birthday! So far the most important things I´ve learnt in my 20`s is that marriage is all about unconditional love, being willing to stick with each other on those very unglamorous days... ANd for enduring days like that you get the benefit of enjoying all those sunshiny days and moments together, with a person you love more and more, deeper and deeper every year! And I´ve learnt that there can be no greater love than a parents`love for his/her child.
Happy Birthday!
Let's see... By the time I turned 20, I'd been married 2 years! Looking back on this decade, there have been so many rides on the rollercoaster. It's been amazing.
Sending happy thoughts for this upcoming decade of your life!
Leah, I learned in my 20's How to be patient. I learned how to Love correctly, and I learned that children are children and to allow them to BE children. I learned Stress doesn't have a Place in my Home, if you bring it here you are not welcome :)
Happy Birthday, May your 30's be as fabulous as mine have been! I wouldn't want to be 20 again, my 30's so far have been my happiest years.
To hear about all of your travels is just amazing. I hope your day has been wonderful!
Happy birthday Leah!
Happy (belated) birthday! In my 20s, I've learned that life doesn't happen how you always thought it would, that faith really can carry you through when you can't walk on your own, and that in marriage, the "better" times make getting through the "worse" times together SO worth it :)
beautiful post! Thanks for sharing!! Happy birthday!
Happy Birthday!!! What a great post! The twenties were a big learning decade for me, but some of my biggest changes seemed to be in my thirties; and, so far, my forties are pretty evolving as well!!!!
Best of luck, love and life as you go forward my dear!!!! Enjoy your day, your year, your decade!!
Happy Birthday Leah!
What a great post. I very much enjoyed it.
One of the biggest things I learned in my 20's (almost 4 decades ago lol) is that three children, one husband, and a full time job is very difficult and yet I wouldn't change a minute of it!
Oh gosh, I'm nearing the end. But I've learned that it's better to have a few amazing friends than to have 100 "friends".
Post a Comment