This will be a busy week for T and I, as we have 3 interviews for possible daycare options, and then another one next week.
The two options we are looking at currently is a home daycare and then a nanny option. We actually have two interviews of each, and hope after these 4 interviews, that we'll be able to make a decision. We are finding that there are pros and cons of each of these two options. Home daycare will be a bit less expensive than a nanny, but at the same time, there is something really appealing about having a nanny come to our home and to have our children in their home environment.
As I was calling our daycare options last week, I had a huge epiphany. (Okay, this is really something that should have occurred to me WAY before the time it actually did) But last week, I realized that whoever takes care of our children is going to have a huge influence on them and their lives. I know, I know. . . I should have realized this long before I did. . . but I didn't. As I called around to various daycare options, I had the daycare providers on the phone talk about their religion, what they feel politically, and it hit me. Not only do we have to find a place that we feel our children will be safe and happy, we should also try to find a place that best represents T and I's values. Wow! just one more thing to think about!
I'm excited about the 4 different home daycare and nanny options we have on the table right now, and I'm hoping by the time we do our last interview, that we'll be confident in the direction we want to head. But if not, we'll head back to the drawing table.
Have any of you interviewed daycare providers and/or nannies? Any questions that I must ask and things to really pay attention to? I'd love feedback on this. :)
16 comments:
i hope you find the perfect fit for your family!
Finding the right daycare can be a challenge. We didn't have many options but ended up with a pretty good daycare for her. This time around DH is at home with the baby. You will know what feels right for you when the time comes.
Good luck in finding the right fit. You are right, your children will be spending a good amount of time with the provider, so it's important to find a good match.
Gosh, this sounds like a big job! Makes me grateful I get to stay home with our little Z when he arrives!
Good luck!!
I haven't done much with daycare so I don't have any profound advice for you, but I agree that it is important that you feel very comfortable with not only the environment in which you'll leave your babies but also with the person who will be in charge. Good luck!
Every time we tried to find day care. We got scared and didn't follow up with any of them. We just work different hours and my son can go to my husband's work. Also, family has saved us in a pinch. I hope you find the right day care.
You will just have the motherly feeling when you find out what is right for you soon to be family! Your motherly instincts will let ya know:)
I hope you get some good feedback as I would love to read it as well! Glad you are making strides!! It must feel good!
Safety, values and beliefs; you are so right that these are the main areas. Frankly, I was so focused on the safety issue, that I think I took the other stuff for granted as far as their own beliefs. We ended up using an in home day care option, which ended up being great for Hannah. And, the caretaker was consistent with our beliefs as well. Best of wishes!!!
We decided from the start that we'd have someone come to our home to watch our son, and now that we're bringing our daughter home we plan to keep things the same. Our nanny will work only 2 days/week, so I'll need to start interviewing people to fill 2 other days/week. And will be doing much the same stuff as you to find someone. I had a list of questions I used to find the nanny we use now...I'll see if I can find them for you.
Hope it goes well for you this week! I know it's a big decision. Good luck!!
Wow! It's really good that you have 4 options. Impressive!
Some things I asked...
What if I'm not working, like I have a holiday or something, do I have to pay? Lots of daycare situations will have you pay.
What will their schedules be like? Will they go anywhere? What do they need you go purchase, car seat bases, pack n play's, etc.
What happens if the babies or sick, or if their sick?
I've never interviewed any but I hope you have success! :)
I talked to my sister-in-law who adopted their son from Ethiopia and are currently adopting a girl from there, too. She said if you would like to talk to her, she would love to talk to you or if you have any questions. If you're interested, I can give you their e-mail. You can e-mail me at tammywondra@yahoo.com
Good luck finding the right one! We found a in home daycare months ago and I think its just one of those things you just know and feels right in your heart.
That sounds like a huge decision - I hope the process of finding daycare goes smoothly. :)
I may be able to offer my opinions in both areas, because I used to be a nanny, and I've also taken my oldest daughter to daycare. With a nanny, you really have to find someone who fits in well with your family. You will probably become quite close to this person, as she (he?) will be in your home daily. Make sure (I'm certain you've already thought of this) that whoever is watching your children is current on all CPR and First Aid certifications. If they are going to be anywhere near the water ever (pool, lake, etc) you may want them to have lifeguard certification or at least be completely comfortable in the water. Now, of course I know this won't matter initally as your children will both be infants, but I'm guessing that if you find someone you like, you will want to stick with them. The great thing about nannies is that, because they become so close to your family, they will often willing to take care of your children if you and T want to have a date night once in a while (extremely important). That way, if your family isn't able to watch them, you will have someone you are completely comfortable with. Being in your home can often make things much easier for you and your babies. You don't have to get them up and out of the house early in the morning, they are not exposed to the many germs found in a daycare setting (nice, especially for the first year), and it's usually less stressful for the parents.
A daycare setting is nice because they have to follow regulations and codes. There is usually more than one person taking care of the children, so if one of them is ill, there is back-up. They are usually educational settings. However, you can also find nannies with education backgrounds (I had my teaching license when I was a nanny -- long story).
O.k., since I have become ridiculously long-winded here, if you would like to actually talk about this, please feel free to contact me. I know it's an extremely important, but difficult, decision. I'm not sure if I can help in any way since you need to do what feels right for your family, but if you need someone else to discuss it with, I'm here. :0)
Melissa
Post a Comment