Monday, March 8, 2010

Total Randomness

1. Does anyone ever watch Real Housewives? (Whether it be of Orange County, NYC, or whatever?) This show is sadly one of my guilty pleasures in life. I don't know what exactly draws me to it, but I've been watching it on a pretty regular basis lately. Well, for the most part, these women disgust me. I watch this show and see these women as a great example of how females should NOT behave.

2. Sometimes I fear I underestimate how much work two little ones so close in age will be. I've been reading some blogs lately from people in somewhat similar situations as I'm in, and they are always talking about HOW hard it is, how they never sleep, how they live their life in complete exhaustion. I'm a bit scared, but I know there is nothing that can properly prepare me for it. I'm not going to understand just how much work it is until it happens.

3. Do you have any people in your life that just don't go with you. . . at all? You find that your relationship is more combative than anything? I have a couple people like that in my life, and it's time to just cut them loose. Why do we keep people in our lives that don't add value and happiness? For me, it was always because I wanted to avoid confrontation. But my priorities in life are shifting heavily, and I think it's time to only have people in my life that bring value.

4. Lately, I feel like my life is straight out of the movie Groundhog's Day. Monday morning, the alarm goes off at 6am, I get up and ready for work. I work for 8 hours. I come home, and do it all for the next 5 days. Then the 2 day weekend comes. Always enjoyable, and then the pattern repeats itself at Monday at 6am. Sometimes I can't believe this is my life. I hope I find a way to break this pattern.

5. When is the right time to solidify daycare? It hasn't been on my radar much after the last home daycare place I called said it was way to early to reserve a spot. So, when should I reserve two infant spots in a daycare? Should I be worried that I haven't done that yet?

6. T and I have been planning the garage sale we plan to hold in early summer. We are really looking forward to it, and it will be our last fundraising effort in terms of the adoption. We are hoping we'll already have a referral by that point, and that the money can help with airfare costs and hotel fees for while we are in Ethiopia.

7. Sometimes I read other blogs, and wonder if I'm doing enough to prepare. Should I be doing more? Should I have more done at this point? Most of the time, I'm at a loss of what to do next.

8. When are most baby showers held? Just wondering the appropriate time for showers, as some people have asked me.

9. Spring is almost here in MN! Guess what I saw in my front yard this weekend? Grass!!! For the very first time in a LONG time. It's wonderful. :-D Although, this is MN, so that means tomorrow we could get a foot of snow. But, I'm really hoping that we are done with snow for the winter. Bring on the spring!!!

10. My face.book days are numbered. The majority of the people I am friends with, I am SO happy I have connected with. You know, the former high school classmates and people like those. I'm hesitant to quit face.book because it really is my means of staying in touch with people who don't live in my area. But sometimes I feel like it has allowed me to just passively watch other people's lives without making an effort to really find out what's going on with them. And I know people do that to me too. They read my updates and that's them keeping in touch instead of them picking up the phone or email. I don't know. . . I just think my time is almost near to quit. It's the people that I really want to keep in touch with that are keeping me on it.

11. Does anyone know where the blogger Yaya went? I loved reading her blog, she had just gotten a referral, and bam! Her blog seems to be gone. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened?

These are just some of the random thoughts going through my head on this Monday morning. I have some more posts coming up later this week that I hope will be interesting.

Also, have you ever read my blog and thought to yourself. . . "I wish Leah would blog blog about this or that?" Well, feel free to leave a comment here, as I'm always up for post suggestions.

Oh, and T started his guest post this weekend. According to him, he finished 4 sentences. Hey, it's a start! ;-)

And because I think posts with pictures are so exciting, I randomly went into my picture file on my work computer, and randomly grabbed a couple of photos without looking, and these are the two pictures of the day. I have so many pictures on my work computer, so I thought I'd randomly show some on this blog, and it's fun to be completely surprised at what pictures I will find, as I haven't looked at these photos in ages.

Happy Monday Everyone!


Lisbon, Portugal, our honeymoon.

Taher hanging out on the beaches in Alexandria, Egypt on the beautiful Mediterrean.

16 comments:

Jenny said...

i've seen most of the real housewives of OC... also a guilty pleasure of mine! i tend to catch the repeats during the day... it makes me laugh to think about the things they think are so devastating and such issues are so trivial!

pg baby showers are generally like the month before you're due i believe...

i hear ya on groundhog's day living... must.break.the.cycle!!!

Stace said...

2- It will be hard and you will be exhausted, but it will always be MORE work than you expected, HARDER than you expected, but also SO MUCH MORE AMAZING than you could have ever dreamed. By a million.

5- HA. I go back to work in LESS THAN A MONTH and I have yet to solidify anything but Monday and Tuesday AMs and Friday all day. The rest of the days I think Colby will be in the bathtub.

7- All the planning in the world doesn't matter in my opinion. Yes, you can plan the room and the registries, but that stuff is all background noise when it comes to actually bringing a baby home. It will make you feel more in control when the moment comes, but you'll quickly realize how unimportant things like a freshly painted room and a closet full of perfect clothes is compared to everything else. And the best laid plans... :)

Enjoy Spring (or the hint of it!) and I loved the pictures!!! :)

Take care!!

Andrea said...

Leah :)

Real Housewives: Watched 1 episode of RH Atlanta and was appauled by these women. Complete dysfunction! But, that sells and peaks our interest :) It's okay to have a guilty pleasure...

Yes, we all have people in our lives that don't add value. My therapist said "clear the in box and take out the trash"! Great advice :) Makes one's life richer to detox.

Oh Lisbon! Never got to go while I lived in Europe. I'm jealous, as my friend is a Portugese diplomat and I ALWAYS wanted to take him up on a personal tour of his city...I will, someday :) FYI: he and his wife also suffered IF for years and now have an 8yr old son.

Daycare: Here, you have to get a jump start on a position for your child. Thus, the moment one is prego you run to reserve a "spot" for baby X.

Sleep and 2 Babies: You are AMAZING and driven! You WILL do this. It will take some time to find your groove, but you'l do it and flourish :)

Baby Showers: Months 7-8 anytime :) You'll know when you feel its time...its a mothers intuition.

One more thought: Have I ever told you how much I admire you? And, how happy I am to "know" you? Also, thank you for the wonderful advice on fertility testing...it was priceless. I will go in next week for the blood work and have my "trusty list in hand" We shall see what comes next...

Much Love to you sweet friend...be well :)

xoxo

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

You better not be going to cut me lose! LOL..Love ya girly and I loved this post! I like getting lil bits and pieces of your life! I am so ready to read about your two lil ones!

Kelly said...

I'm fairly addicted to the Real Housewives of Orange County, mostly because I think it's ridiculous! Not because I aspire to be like them in any way, shape, or form. I love the cattiness, though!

E said...

We've been thinking about a lot of the same things...however, I don't watch Real Housewives. I tried, but it didn't take.

2. We were presented with a situation that involved a toddler and 6 month old. I just don't feel like I have it in me. We passed on submitting for other reasons. But you can and you will be a great mom to 2 little ones! I don't think that even with 1, we cannot understand the amount of work (and sleeplessness) until we go through it ourselves.

3. Yes! I'm in the process of "breaking up" with an old friend. But so far that has only involved me not responding to her infrequent emails. I don't know how else to break off the relationship. How are you doing it?

10. I stopped my account on FB. It was getting too annoying. I enjoyed connecting with people from hs, but I gave my email address to the ones I want to keep in touch with.

Thanks for sharing pics...you've had some wonderful travels!

Anonymous said...

#4 - I'm thinking that adding two little ones to your life is going to break the old routine!

#5 - Where I live, Washington, D.C., people sometimes put their kids on daycare waitlists BEFORE they are even conceived. When I started checking at the centers by my house back in October, most didn't have any openings until July or August of 2010. But I'm sure each area is different.

#8 - My first babyshower was at 33 weeks and the second was at 36 weeks.

Lisbon, Portugal...while I haven't been there, this past March, we took a fantastic trip to the south of Portugal and absolutely LOVED it! Very beautiful and, at least where we were, very cheap.

Let Me Not Forget said...

oo! fun... I'll respond to each #...

#1. No I don't watch it. We don't have TV... but I still manage to watch some shows... my "guilty pleasure" show is Community... this last one was a bit over the top though for me.

#2. You're right... you just won't know until it happens. It will be what it will be.

#3. Yeah... they are the ones that make me take a hard look at myself... and in the end realize I'm a sinner too... and make me see how gracious God has been to me despite my rebellion and being at odds with him daily. They are the people that help me understand the words forgiveness and love (via 1 corinthians). And all at the same time... I do let go of them too. If we happen to cross paths... ok. If not, that's ok too. I don't make an intentional effort to stay in touch.

#4. The pattern will break so soon! :) And you shall be free.

#5. No clue. sorry.

#6. So you are thinking you'll be able to go to Ethiopia? That's exciting! I wish I was closer for your garage sale...

#7. I would say do as much as you can now... and you'll just roll with it when they come.

#8. baby showers... people threw them for me whenever it was convenient... i had quite a few in the summer and one a month before Elijah was due. It's kind of nice to have them earlier, then you can wash up clothes or blankets/organize and possibly write all your thank you notes! :)

#9. We still have 1.5feet of snow on our yard. :(

#10. I hear you and I am still glad that I don't do facebook anymore.

RELH said...

I love housewives also!

Amy said...

I've been thinking the same thing about FB lately. I love being able to stay in better contact with friends from hs and college but I'm afraid FB is replacing good old human interaction, like phone calls.

Can't wait to read T's guest post! Tell him to hurry up and get on it! ;)

The Busters said...

I love posts with all the random thoughts. It is nice to know other people have all sorts of stuff swirling around in their brains the way I do. I am with you on a lot of them, especially the whole groundhog day thing. It is super frustrating and I am not sure how to break it. I don't watch the housewives stuff but I have plenty of other tv shows that I shamefully watch. I saw something on tv recently that showed Mariah Carey's shoe closet and I found it so disgusting. Wretched Excess!

Cicero said...

Wow, I look skinny in that picture...

Anonymous said...

I love that castle picture. Very beautiful!
Kelsie

Paula Keller said...

Um...

I LOVE Stace's first paragraph!!!! I have the same fears, and have decided to try not to worry about it and just know that it will be hard. Like probably the hardest thing I've ever done - but people do it and you will too, and it'll be all worth it and then some.

I've read that daycare for two is hard to find, so I'm grateful that I've found something, and glad to not have that on the huge to-do list.

Most things say to do the shower during the 3rd trimester, but with twins I've read that earlier is better (might be on bedrest, babies might come early...). But I'll be 26 weeks for the 1st one (friends), and 28 weeks for the 2nd one (work). That way I'll also know what's left on the list to buy.

It was warm today, and it was such a beautiful thing! Makes me all cheery!

Chelle said...

Here are my comments:

#2, you will figure out a way to make it work when you are in it. You will eventually iron out a schedule/plan, and then it will get easier as you go. I remember feeling compeltely overwhelemed with one baby the first couple months and being so thankful I only had one, but once I got into the swing of things, it was all easy peasy.

#5, it just depends on the daycare. In my experience the only ones you really need to reserve ahead of time (like a year in advance) are the pricy private school-like daycares. We were able to get my daughter in right away when my husband went back to working an office job.

#7, Toward the end of your pregnancy you will realize you have done all you can, and that there is nothing else to do but wait until the baby comes and then see what you need that you don't already have. I remember the day that epiphany hit me. I just relaxed and blissfully, road out the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

Yep, life sure can be mundane sometimes. It makes you think there has to be more to it than working a 40 hour a week job just to make ends.

Anonymous said...

On daycare - yes you definitely need to pick one out now and see if they have a wait list. Some popular daycares (such as the UMN and CHILD ones) have big wait lists and you have to get on them when you are prego if you want any chance at all for an infant spot. It would be better to do this now anyways while you don't have 2 babies in carseats to lug around with you!! :)