Thursday, September 23, 2010

Am I Doing Enough as a Mom

I received word yesterday that another Dove family in my travel group got their embassy date reinstated to the original date. . . meaning they are going to pick up their child this Friday. Tomorrow. How did they get this date reinstated? They called the embassy? That's all.

I've now missed two opportunities to call the embassy. The first time, my Mom told me I should and then my agency strongly advised against it. So I didn't. The second time was Monday. My agency called me and said that I wouldn't have an embassy date until October. It sucked, but my plane tickets were already changed so I went with it. Well, some families hadn't changed their tickets yet, so they called the embassy and sure enough, they get to leave tomorrow as planned. And I don't get to leave until 2 weeks from tomorrow.

When I found this information out yesterday, I could have tried to be proactive, but now I'm just totally unprepared to leave tomorrow. And not only that, I would burn a lot of bridges at work after I told them that now I wasn't leaving until October 8th.

I'm sad that I won't be experiencing this with all the families in the original travel group. But I'm mostly sad to think about all of Nur's buddies over there getting to go home to their forever families while Nur has to wait it out a little longer. I know, I know. . . Nur is oblivious to all of this. But it does make me wonder if I've already failed him as a mother.

Note to self. . . If I ever am unhappy with something regarding the adoption. . . just call the US Embassy. :)

9 comments:

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

the other families might be in a different place then you. If you had not had Scarlett and you only had Khalil to think about all day long then I bet you would have made calls and did whatever needed to be done. Since you have another child and home thats so young and that holds you back a bit from wanting to go you didn't push the situation. Or thats just what I imagine happened. You are under alot of stress and waiting was less stressful all the way around for you. Agency always say don't call the embassy, don't talk to this or that, I figured out not to listen as well since we had to fight to get Maya home.

~ifer said...

You certainly aren't failing him as a mother. Like you said in one of your previous posts, there is a reason this happened like it did, even if you don't know what it is now.

Hang in there, know that you are in our prayers and thoughts and that we all can't WAIT to see the pictures of little K

Deni said...

Leah,

You may NOT beat yourself up! You have done sooo much and are still doing all that you can for BOTH of your children! Kahlil is going to arrive home at exactly the right time!!!

I'm praying for peace for you! Sending you so much love and knowing that God is in control of each and every step!!

Hugs!!!

Mayme said...

You have not failed him or anyone else! There has to be a reason for this and maybe someday it will be revealed. I am sorry for the ups and downs. As I have repeatedly said, adoption is not for the faint of heart. You hang in there and enjoy these last 2 weeks with Scarlett before the trip. Cut yourself some slack!

Andrea said...

Sweetest Leah, you have failed absolutely no one. You did what you thought was best and followed the advisement of your agency. The whole situation is sad and costly. Especially when all you want to do is bring your son home.

Hang in there and know that I am sending up prayers for you, T, your family and of course sweetest Khalil. You will have him in your arms very soon honey...and I can not wait to see the pictures!

much love
xxx

Jenny said...

You ARE doing enough! I know it's hard to feel like it. I know it's hard to feel any ONE thing right now! So frustrating!!!! I can't wait to see you and Khalil TOGETHER! It will be SOON!

Chelle said...

You shouldn't beat yourself up. You are doing everything you can. You followed the advice of the adoption agency, and that was doing the best you could.

I know it must really suck to know other people are still going tomorrow. It would chap my hide too. But the bottom line is you did what you felt was right, and you can't be upset about that. Khalil will be home soon enough. Just keep telling yourself that.

Hillary said...

It was such a such decision, and you had no way of knowing how it would work out. You are being a good steward of your time, resources, and sanity....all of which will bless Khalil!! Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Leah, you co-operated with your adoption agency and DIDN'T call the agency. Heartbroken, you spent extra money to change your tickets. Now others have an advantage because they chose a different path. I can certainly understand your disappointment, but take a deep breath. You are going to be a mother for forever. You have many lessons to teach your children. What would you say to one of your children if they had been in a situation where they had chosen to be co-operative and ended up not getting what appears to be the best result? Would you tell them they are not doing enough? Or would you tell them that sometimes things just don't swing your way even if you were doing your best?