I remember my first post on this blog, click here. It was July 31st, 2009, and I announced T and I's plan to adopt. We had already been in the process for over a month, but we wanted to finish some of the initial paperwork before announcing our plans to the world. I remember being SO happy to write that post. I wanted to share the joy and hope that adoption had brought into our lives.
It's hard to believe that I wrote that just over a year ago, and here I am today, just a little over a week until I fly to Ethiopia to meet our son.
When we first started the process, all the steps involved in adoption were daunting. We had so much paperwork to fill out, so many classes to attend, so many visits with a social worker, and so much money to come up with. There were days early on when I wondered if we would ever have our child.
T was always full of hope and trust though. He would often tell me that he knew we were going to be parents. I wasn't so sure. On a trip to England, he even picked our child (who didn't exist at the time) a onesie displaying T's favorite futbol team's name. A onesie that I will be bringing to Ethiopia next week. When I was full of doubt, T was full of hope.
I remember often wishing that I could see a glimpse into my future. What would it look like? Would this adoption work out? What would my son look like? What would his story be? I so much wanted to just fast forward to when everything about the adoption was a little more certain.
It's amazing to me how much life can change in such a short amount of time. I never would have guessed where my life would be at this moment. I couldn't have guessed it in a million years. I couldn't have guessed that this blog that I created to document our journey through adoption would become a pregnancy, motherhood, life, and adoption blog. I never could have guessed that there would be a Scarlett AND a Khalil.
I also couldn't have guessed how many people have chosen to follow our journey. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel like people truly want this all to work out. It makes me feel like there are so many people out there who don't even know Khalil, yet want wonderful things for his life. Something I've learned is that there are never too many people who can love your children. And I feel like people love and support my children so much. It makes me happy and proud.
So here I am. . . in the homestretch. A part of me feels like this journey is coming to an end. . . but I know it's really just beginning.
6 comments:
Definitely just the beginning, and a wonderful one at that! :) We all want to see everything work out and I can't wait to see you with Khalil! :)
Leah,
Cheers to this new beginning! I look forward to the days when we get to meet Khalil...the days that you will write about your son and daughter and how they bring you and T so much JOY :)
Much Love,
Andrea
Very sweet post...and very true. I am SO excited for you guys! But don't forget us (your readers) when you are completely up to your eyeballs in babies! :) We WANT to know all about it and can't wait to see photos!!!
Leah,
I know this is a stretch, but I thought I would ask anyways. I am trying to find someone who is traveling to Addis this month so we can send a couple of outfits and two little stuffed animals to our twins (did you read our referral post?! we are SO excited!). I don't know if you would even be able to do this, or if you have room, but I thought I'd ask. I think I have someone in Addis who might be able to pick up the gifts wherever you are at. Please don't feel bad if you can't. I know it is such a busy trip, and you already have a million things on your mind, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. If you think it might be a possibility, shoot me an email at mullinsadoption@gmail.com
I'm so glad you get to see your precious boy soon!
Nina
So happy for you!! I started following your blog about a month ago. My husband and I just adopted our son. He is 12 days old and we are so in love! God is so faithful and I am so happy for you and your family,
So happy for you!! I started following your blog about a month ago. My husband and I just adopted our son. He is 12 days old and we are so in love! God is so faithful and I am so happy for you and your family,
Post a Comment