Thursday, September 2, 2010

Scarlett Letters

Dear Scarlett,

Today probably seems like just another day to you. You'll get to spend the day with Mama, eating "yum yums," going for a walk, swinging, and watching Mama clean, but for me, I woke up sad. I have two days left of maternity leave. 2 days. And then I'm back to work.

I have such mixed emotions about it. I take so much comfort in the fact that you are going to be well taken care of. Your Baba and I did our due diligence in finding care for you, and I know you are going to love your care. But I'm going to miss you, and I struggle with the fact that the best place for you is with me. But, I must work for the money.

I'm convinced that being a Mom is just one big guilt trip.

It's also September. This is going to be a monumental month in all of our lives. In 22 short days, I will be going to the other side of the world to pick up your brother. When I leave, it will be the last time you will be my only child living in our home. When I come back with Khalil, all of our lievs will be forever changed.

A part of me just wishes I could leave tomorrow. I don't want to spend the next 22 days feeling guilty about leaving you. What kind of Mother leaves her child for 9 days when she is only 2 months old? I struggle with that DAILY. But in my short time as a Mama, I've learned that being a parent is about making difficult choices, and the choices are always about what is best for the children. I wouldn't leave you if I didn't trust that you'd have the best care in the world while I was gone. And I wouldn't leave if I didn't think that Khalil needed his Mama more than ever. He needs me. You need me. And you are both two of the most important people in my life, and I will always think of you two in every decicision I make. That I promise you. While I'm gone, you will have Baba, Nana and Gidu, and Aunty taking care of you. But your brother. . . He has no one right now, and he deserves all the comfort and love in the world. And your Grandma and I are going to give him that. Soon. Very soon.

I know you will be confused when I'm gone, but I promise you in the grand scheme of things, I will only be gone for a blink of an eye. And when I return, I will bring your older brother. I have no doubt at all that you two will love each other for the rest of your lives, and that you'll never remember life without him. I have no doubt that he will enrich your life greatly, just as you will enrich his.

And I promise you that when I return, I will still be your Mama. . . forever and ever. That will never change.

I love you Lil Miss Scarlett. And although life will sometimes take me away from you, I am always here for you. Always and forever.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn it, Leah, you make me cry every time!

Trinity said...

Beautiful. :)

Chelle said...

:`(

Going back from maternity leave is SO HARD. It does get easier though. Just like adjusting to life with a newborn gets easier with time, being a working mother does too. There is one definite bonus, and that is by the end of the day you are so happy to go get your baby and go home that you spend better quality time with her. You will appreciate that more as she gets older.

I, too, believe motherhood is all about guilt. I am learning to get past it though. We do the best we can, and that is all anyone can ever ask of us.

Deni said...

The maternity leave seems to go by in the blink of an eye! I'm sorry you are having to go back as I know leaving that sweet girl will be hard. I'm still praying for your trip to pick up your adorable boy! And you know I'm anticipating those pictures of all 4 of you together and of Scarlett and Kahlil together--oh, it's gonna be so perfect!! Sending love!

Unknown said...

This is the best post I've read in a long time. So many emotions! I'm so happy for you guys. Keep strong soon the family will ALL be together!

Kala said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Going back from maternity leave was one of the hardest things I ever did in my life. Actually I think it may have been the hardest thing ever!