I've been getting a lot of questions lately regarding updates to our adoption, so I thought I would dedicate this post solely to that purpose.
Basically, we don't hear from our agency. . . ever. But they told us that was to be expected. They also told us the next time we receive a call from them, it will be because we have a referral. So, if my phone rings and it's an area code from Oregon, I will be beyond excited! :) In the meantime, anytime they have questions for me, or want to check in with me, it's all done over email. I like that they do it this way. I'd hate to get a call from the agency, and pick up all excited, only to have them ask me about paperwork. Unfortunately when waiting, there isn't a lot of correspondence. It is really just a lot of waiting, and nothing else.
I received an adoption alert from my agency last week, and basically it said that we will for sure have to go to Ethiopia twice for the adoption now, once for court, and once to pick up our child and bring him home. But the good news is that only one parent will need to be at court, as long as the other parent signs over power of attorney rights. So, poor T will need to go to Ethiopia twice. (And hopefully the second time to pick up our son will be with me) I think T is actually excited for this extra opportunity to meet our son. I just feel badly for him, because he only gets a couple weeks of vacation a year, and both will be spent with Ethiopia. That means he won't get a lot of time to spend with me and baby girl once she's born, and he won't be able to spend much time at home with Khalil when we have him home. That is hard. But I'm so proud of T, and so lucky to have him as my husband.
Our agency unfortunately doesn't let us know where we are on the waitlist, and the reason they do this is because children are matched with parents out of order. The way our agency explained this was that Ethiopia really tries to match the right child with the right parents. I kind of have a hard time with this notion. I mean, how are you going to see a little baby, and know that he's meant to be with us, just based on a one page letter we wrote to the Ethiopian government? But, this is how they do things, and I guess I should try to trust the process. I have "met" many people adopting through our same agency. I know some that received their referral at around the 4 month wait, and I know some that waited almost 8 months. I guess I don't understand why some are picked over others, but they are. Unfortunately, I don't know how much longer T and I have to go, but I trust that whatever child is placed with us, is meant to be our son.
So these are the adoption updates of the day. If you have any further adoption questions that weren't answered, feel free to leavea question in the comment section.
10 comments:
i'm glad to know you did finally hear from them for sure on the two trips!
I know how you feel. We are using the same agency and sometimes I would like more interaction from them. And a number! But we do have to trust them... man, adoption is hard isn't it?! Good luck!
I agree with you that which ever child is choosen for your family was meant to be YOUR BABY. I am so excited for you!!!
That's a very good update as I was wondering about the trips to Ethiopia, etc. I think you have a very good attitude about trying to be patient with the process when there is so much waiting and uncertainty. We are all waiting with you!! Heather
Oh I know what you mean about saving phone calls for only important good news! I didn't know that your agency matched them with children. Interesting. But like you said. It's the way they do things so that's the way it is!
One of the things that constantly amazes me about this Ethiopian adoption process is how different it can be from agency to agency! We also don't get numbers. Our agency says it's because people obsess over them (true!) and because sometimes people go on and off the list and it causes confusion. But they also say the match is done in numerical order and that there's nothing else to it. Who knows?!
I'm glad you and T have a plan for going to get K. I know it will be hard for you to not be there, but obviously your circumstances are very special and it will all be good in the end!
Yay, it could be any time! So much excitement over at your house, I love it!!
Hooray on your not having to go! That is great news. I am sure he doesn't mind using his vacation time to go get your son and bring him home. It is a small price to pay.
Your call could be coming any day. :)
I didn't know that you don't get waitlist numbers. I know that must be hard but you are right...God has just the right little boy picked out for your family and he will be ready at just the right time! Hang in there! I bet your call is going to come any day now!
We didn't get numbers of where we were on the list either until one day out of the blue our social worker called to tell us we were #10 on the list - she about gave me a heart attack!!! But it didn't matter anyway because we ended up getting our referral (of a waiting child) only a couple weeks later! What an exciting day it will be when you get THE CALL!!!!! I can't wait to see that announcement on your blog!!!!
Post a Comment