Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Weekly Pregnancy Post - 28 Weeks

Things are moving along nicely I believe. I now see my midwife every 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to the extra appointments and extra reassurances.

I have a hilariously ditzy story about my appointment last week. I had the 1 hour glucose monitoring test that tests for gestational diabetes. I got to the clinic, and had to down this drink in 5 minutes. I've heard mixed reactions on the drink. My opinion is that it is tolerable, but it was a bit too thick for me, and I can go the rest of my life without trying it again. So, I guzzle this drink in 5 minutes, and then I had my appointment with the midwife. Everything seems to be going well. After the midwife appointment, I still had about 30 minutes to spare before my blood test. (The blood test needs to be done 1 hour after I drink the orange drink) So, I decide to walk around the hospital for a bit to kill time. As I'm walking, I ran right into a Subway restaurant, so I of course went to it and ordered a sub. And I was feeling EXTRA hungry, so I ordered a foot long sub, and a large lemonade. I was sitting there and eating, and checking my watch to make sure I wouldn't miss my blood draw. As I'm almost done with my food, I had a moment of clarity. Holy crap!!! They are going to test my glucose levels!!! I'm NOT supposed to eat between drinking the orange goo and getting my blood drawn. CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

I went back to the clinic for my blood draw, and the nurse mentions that as soon as this is done, I can go eat lunch. (It was 12:30 by this point) I explained to her that I accidently just ate, and that I'm usually MUCH smarter than that. She just laughed at me. She said she would still take my blood, but that there was NO way I would pass this test, and if I did, it would be a miracle. But she said after eating all those carbs, and the sugar in the lemonade, I was definitely failing. She said she would let me retake the 1 hour test though, instead of jumping to the 3 hour glucose monitoring test. A small feat I suppose.

So, I went back to work, and an hour later the nurse called. She was ecstatic on the other line and said that I had PASSED the test, and that my score was 109! She said, I quote, "You can eat dessert for dinner the rest of your pregnancy." Seriously. She said that.

I am very happy I don't need to retake the test.

In other pregnancy news (Okay, this post is too long already but I must bring this up) is the whole kick count thing. My clinic mentioned that in the 3rd trimester, women should occassionally count their baby's kicks, and that a baby should kick at least 10 times in an hour. Well, this has my a bit alarmed. You see, my baby seems to have two active periods every day. Once in the morning, right after breakfast, and once in the evening. I have hours in the day where I don't feel anything. So sometimes I poke my belly, and I'll get a little poke back. But I'm wondering, is this normal? Should I feel my baby more? I'm wondering if I need to be calling my clinic. Yes. . . I've been a bit worried about this.

So that is my pregnancy update for this week.

And below is the reason cameras on cell phones should be banned! T and I were grilling in our backyard on Sunday, enjoying the beautiful day, and he snapped this photo on his cell phone, and I had no idea! He showed it to me, and we both got a big laugh out of it. And his response was, "well, you said you wanted pictures of yourself while pregnant!"
This is SO not what I meant by that. ;-)

17 comments:

Donna said...

Sometimes little man would go for a couple hours without moving much at all and I would be just about to panic when he would hit an active spell. I think al long as you are comfortable with her routine and she does have active times you are OK!

Jen said...

Congrats on passing the test!! That's great! I think it's so sweet that if you poke your belly you get a poke back!! Love it!! I've never been pregnant so I have no idea about your concern but I say if your worried about it call your clinic!! It will make you feel better!!

Jenny said...

that's awesome that you still passed the glucose test!!!!!!! and i'm crackin' up at that picture :-)

Cicero said...

For real, that picture is brilliant! your so beautiful!

AL said...

LOL, I LOVE that picture. :-)

Hooray for passing the glucose test with flying colors!

Lyndsay said...

That is a hilarious story. I picked up a coffee on the way to the dentist once... guess I forgot my mouth would be busy for a while.

I like T's picture. You look relaxed. Relaxed is good!!

Erin said...

Usually food doesn't affect your sugar for 45-60 minutes so maybe that is why you go lucky!!

Glad you passed.

Funny picture, lol.

Mine does not move 10 times every hour, I can tell you right now. He is fine though.

Let Me Not Forget said...

haha! thanks for sharing the story and the picture... that is classic!
i personally hated the kick count... it just gave me something else to worry about. as long as i felt him move around every once in a while... i called it good. breathe deep and relax... a less stressed mommy is way better for baby. :)
and holy caboly! that is crazy you passed the glucose test... I guess you for sure have no worries there. :) I can't believe you are at 28 wks already! And I'm jealous to get a midwife! I would have loved to have had one, but ND doesn't have very many... maybe 3 that I know of. That will be sooo nice to meet on a regular basis and have such a good listening ear.

Joie said...

I honestly think that photo is great! My mom only has ONE photo of herself pregnant with me. One. Being 31 and single had a lot to do with it, I am sure. So I truly think this photo speaks volumes!

Rachel said...

Awesome picture!!!! I loved your story about accidentally eating :) So funny!

Chelle said...

If you are concerened about kick counts, you should call your doctor. Although, whenever I went in because Baby Bean wasn't moving enough for me, she always NUTS at the doctor's office. One time they did a NST and she went crazy the entire time. I always felt so stupid. lol

Your glucose test still cracks me up. You should go eat a piece of pecan pie now. ;)

Amy said...

This post so made me smile. I love the Subway story and sounds like something I would do! The picture is so cute. I'm sure your concern about the baby's movement is just that she is going to be one laid-back, easy going girl, which is definitely what you are gonna need with two little ones!

Raising Davis Darlings said...

I had the laziest baby ever while pregnant. My son must have slept the whole time and he was perfectly healthy. Don't worry, she is probably moving alot but you can't feel it.

Kala said...

I'm and L&D nurse and your OB is right. But most of the time women are to busy to notice the little moments. You are distracted by everyday life. If you need reassurance, lay down on the couch in a quiet enviorment and count the kicks. If you want some extra reassurance drink some juice and see what happens :D

P.S. You crack me up about the glucose test!

Paula Keller said...

That is AMAZING that you passed after Subway and lemonade! Awesome!

I have two and I have hours where I don't feel either of them. Hours. And then (morning and after work) I tend to feel them a lot. I know some of that is because I'm busy, but still. I also read 4 times an hour, not 10. 10 seems excessive.

Happy 28 weeks! It's FLYING by! 10-12 weeks! Oh the anticipation!


Overuse of exclamation points!

Amber said...

for the movement, its totally normal or at least it has been for me to only feel her at certain times and then not feel her at all. As you get bigger I have found that there is more turns and twists but not as many kicks per say. I asked my dr about it and she said as long as you can feel her regularly then I was good to go.

Hillary said...

lol, love the glucose test story! That is amazing! :)