This Memorial Weekend T and I spent a few wonderful days at our cabin. We LOVE it there. It's a place to relax and live the simple life. Something we all need from time to time. While at our cabin, our other relatives were also at their cabin, which is right down the road from ours. These family members of ours have a very diverse family. You know how it goes. . . white man marries black woman. White man and black woman have child. Child is brown. Yes, very diverse, and very beautiful I might add.
This got me thinking a lot about our own family, and the effects of adopting outside of your own race, marrying out of your own race, and the long term effects that may have on the family. T and I are very aware that we are adopting an Ethiopia child. We have seen our son, and he has the most beautiful black skin I've ever seen. (Oh, I just want to squeeze him and give him kisses everywhere!) But over the weekend I had an epiphany. Not only will Khalil be black, but when he grows up, if he chooses to have children, his children will be darker skinned also, and their children, and so on. I may be the last white person in our family. (And I apologize for my terms black and white. Really, my skin is more peach, and currently filled with lovely brown freckles. But you all get what I mean)
And then there is T. T is 100% Egyptian, and that bloodline will change as well. We'll have a daughter who is 50% Egyptian, and a son who is 100% Ethiopian. And if our daughter is blessed and wanting children someday, her children will only be about 25% Egyptian. . . unless of course she marries an Egyptian man. But you get what I'm saying.
I have no doubt that all of this "mixing" would bother some. But not me. It excites me. I see beauty in so many different colors, features, and cultures. It makes me proud that generations down the line, when I am no longer on this earth, that our family, the family T and I created, will look very different. I can't even imagine what it will look like, but I am confident it won't be the blond hair, blue eyed look of my family, or the strictly Egyptian look of T's family. We will be completely blended.
I grew up in an all white community. I remember talking about our genealolgy and going around the room and discussing our heritage. I am a bit Norwegian, Swedish, Irish, English, and German. That was the main mix of everyone in our class. Once in a while we would get someone who had Dutch or French in them, but it was mainly all western European heritage. It makes me proud to think that someday I could have a great grandchild who says, I am part Egyptian, part Ethiopian, part Irish, and part Norwegian. A unique mix, but a mix that is possible.
Some people get nervous about adopting outside of their race, and I get that. But me, I'm excited for it. I know it will not come without problems, but I'm proud that I'm able to marry outside of my race, and adopt outside of my race.
Someday, I imagine the world all some shade of brown, with much less distinction between the races.
16 comments:
it's crazy to think about, isn't it?! i think it's so fun! i can't wait to see what my grandkids will look like one day! and i can't wait to see what jai's wife will be like! will she be black, white, mixed, brown, what?!
That is an interesting thought that one day the world will be shades of brown. It is so neat to think what our families will be in years to come. Be sure to make a family tree as far back as you can go and fill it in whenever you can for new babies, marriages, etc. It will be very valuable information to your future families.
it is exciting! and really you never know what genes will be in each child. My cousin is half indian and is nice and tan with black hair. Her husband is blond with blue eyes. they have 3 children the first one light brown hair and blue eye, the second one very tanned with dark brown hair and the third blond with blue eye.
I think about these things as well, but since my husband and I are of the same race, it's more along the lines of who our Ethiopian children will choose to have children with, and so on. Fun to think about! And I agree, wouldn't it be great if eventually everyone was of similar skin tone and it just wouldn't matter any more?!
The thing I take away from this more than anything is that you are helping to diminish those racial lines that allow people to judge each other unfairly. I hope that made as much sense in words as it does in my head. You are helping to build a culture where no matter your race, everyone is acceptable. There is no black and white, the line between races is becoming grey (or brown), making everyone more alike than different.
I aologize if my comment doesn't make sense. Chalk it up to the anesthesia. lol
What I am trying to say is that you are breaking down barriers by building your family through diversity, and that is an amazing thing.
Beautiful post Leah, as always! And that's part of why I'm so excited to see your little girl, I can't wait to see what features she has that favor each of you. I know she is going to be beautiful! I saw a blog once (and have never found it again) that had this gorgeous blond haired, blue-eyed family with two gorgeous dark ethiopian children, it took my breath away how beautiful their family portrait was! I'm excited to see yours too!!!
I love this post! Your family will be a beautiful one for sure!
"Red and Yellow, Black and White, they are precious in HIS sight" This post reminds me of singing this song when I was a child :)
When I lived in Europe it was so nice to see all walks of life converge into one...I only wish we had the same openess throughout America. In time, right :)
I have always, and still do, have dreams of bringing home an olive skinned baby girl from China. Except she wouldn't be Chineese, she'd just be OURS :)
HUGS
:) Awww! I can't wait to see both your babies!! They are both going to be beautiful! Okay maybe lil man wants to be called handsome instead!:)
I think about this a lot too! Your family of four is going to be SO BEAUTIFUL!! I can't wait to see that photo someday soon!!
PS - Has anyone in your agency that has to do the two trips received a court date yet that you know of?
I *heart* this post. :)
As the mother of a biracial child, I enjoyed reading your post. It isn't always easy (my family-not my immediate, but various aunts & uncles-)were a bit, um, opinionated about my unexpected pregnancy, especially since I went it alone. But they have gotten over it, thank goodness. My daughter will be 6 on Monday and is the light of our lives. I have since married a man who is 1/4 Japanese and my sister is married to a man from Finland. So, you see? You are about to become part of a very large & wonderful family! If other people don't understand, that is their issue, not yours. Never feel the need to explain. I had someone once ask me "what is your daughter mixed with?" Excuse me? Are you mixed with stupid? lol. I learned a big lesson with that one comment. I never let on that it annoys/infuriates/saddens me, I just smile, ignore the comment or hand it right back to the person. We must remember that we are here to love and protect and we can do that while crossing cultural lines. The heart does not know boundaries! I wish you the best & I admire your courage, strength and willingness to talk about sometimes difficult and personal matters.
What a fabulous idea. That eventually we are all shades of brown. I just got a little weepy.
I go to Women of Faith every year in Mpls, one of my favorite parts is hearing Nicole C Mullen sing: Black, White & Tan
The song describes her blended family, I thought I would share the lyrics.
Momma looks like coffee, Daddy looks like cream
Baby is a mocha drop American dream
All the colors of the rainbow are in her family tree
Woven all together in a paisley tapestry
She holds real tightly to her parents' hands
Baby loves that woman, baby loves that man
And her soul gives a smile 'cause she understands
Our love is black, white, tan
Yeah, yeah, yeah black, white, tan
Everyone is precious in the Father's sight
It don't matter red or yellow, black or white
He just loves ya 'cause He loves ya
I tell you this is true
You are not a color and a color is not you
So hold real tightly to your Daddy's hands
'Cause he loves that woman, He loves that man
And let your soul give a smile 'cause you understand
That love is black, white, tan
yeah, yeah, yeah black, white, tan
--Laurie
That is so interesting and so exciting. :) You're so amazing and put it in such a great way. What an amazing experience for you guys to go through! How special.
Delurking to say I love your blog!
The Italian Supreme Court came down with a ruling that touches exactly this topic. They decided that a couple cannot be declared fit to adopt if they specify that they are only willing to adopt children of one particular race or ethnic background, even if this desire stems from concern about the future social integration of the child.
http://www3.lastampa.it/i-tuoi-diritti/sezioni/famiglia-successioni/news/articolo/lstp/234022/
Post a Comment