Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Weekly Pregnancy Post - 36 Weeks


How many pregnancy photos do you see of women holding alcohol? Probably not many. . . but I assure you. . . I was drinking lemonade and this is T's Guiness. Monday night we decided to blow off our birthing class and attend the World Cup Kick Off Party at a local pub. And if you wore an international jersey, you got a free pint. Lucky T. . . He got two free pints that night. . . thanks to his pregnant wife. I felt a little bad about blowing off our birthing/parenting class. If I never master the swaddling, you'll know why! I can't wait for the World Cup! The biggest sporting event in the world. It will be so much fun, and will help time pass. The US vs England game is this Saturday. YAY!
36 weeks pregnant. Could I really just have a month to go? Seems a bit unreal to me actually. I feel like I've been really productive and I feel nearly ready for the first baby. I've been busy checking things off of my checklist, and feel like I've made decent progress. Here is what I've accomplished so far:
1. Set up interviews with local pediatricians. Apparently, you're suppose to interview a couple before choosing one. T and I are hoping to find one with experience with adoption. We are going to a local urban clinic, so I think we'll be able to have some luck there.
2. Applied for FMLA for my leave! Hard to believe that I only have about a month left of work before this baby comes. I am thankful for FMLA, but disappointed by the US's policy on maternity leave and work/life balance. Something needs to give.
3. Hired a temp for my job. I start training her in next week.
4. Got a carseat, and now T and I just have to figure out how to install it. We got Khalil one too! (Both donations. . . SO thankful!)
5. Put the finishing touches on baby girl's room by buying a kick arse bookshelf with some baskets. Her room is done! Her clothes are clean! Her hospital clothes are picked out!
So, that is what I've been working on.
Happy Wednesday everyone!

16 comments:

Becky said...

Opie is in South Africa volunteering with the ELCA and is actually going to be going to 4 of the World Cup games (one is a U.S. game). I think they are in JoBurg, Durban, and maybe one other city! I talked to her on Sunday and she is super excited :) You look just wonderful and can't wait to see pics of your two little ones in the near future!

Leah said...

Becky - Oh my gosh! TOTALLY jealous of Opie!!! I knew she was in South Africa but how cool that she gets to attend some games. I can't wait to watch them all on TV. . . although of course it's not the same.

Anonymous said...

4 weeks to go! Wow! It will go by fast in the long run but will probably feel like each day is dragging as you anxiously await your new arrival. Just my thoughts.

One little thing about washing baby clothes that I wish someone had told me...I recommend only taking the tags off newborn sized clothes and getting them washed. I got newborn and 0-3 month clothes all ready before she came (washed, etc). Emma was in newborn for 2 months and now we have 0-3 month clothes hanging in our closet that she'll never get to wear because they are for cold weather. I guess each baby is different and some don't stay in newborn for very long. But I wish I still had the tags on the 0-3 month stuff so I could at least re-gift it :)

Andrea said...

Love it! You are a beautiful pregnant mom! :o)

birthmothertalks said...

Not much longer left. I am excited for you!!

Andrea said...

How fun! I was in Paris during the World Cup when France was defeated by Italy. It was a hoot to be in the streets of Paris as the Italians taunted them ;) Hope your team wins!!!

As for the baby's readiness...you are so orgnized! Just so happy for you and T.

HUGS

Leah said...

Andrea - How cool that you were in Paris during the last world cup! I remember watching the France/Italy game. So exciting! And luckily I don't really care who wins, so it will just be fun to watch, with absolutely no pressure. :)

AL said...

LOL, great pic :-)

Only a month longer - that's so crazy and exciting!!

Chelle said...

Did yu get some funny looks at the pub when you received your free pint? lol

Hooray for a month left! Soak up the quiet time and relish it. Your life is about to change for the awesome.

Christy said...

Great pic - you look fantastic! The Guiness in hand is a nice touch. I blew off my last birthing class - I had my son a couple of days before. Oh well. ;) Swaddling is a piece of cake - get a swaddling blanket! Lifesaver with my 2nd! ;) Thinking of you!

BTW - do you get FMLA for both kids? Do you think it will end up being back to back? Hope it all works out wonderfully!

Brittany Ann said...

I totally agree with you on maternity leave. When you start looking at what's acceptable in other countries and compare it to here? UGH! I always consider moving! So infuriating!

Amber said...

Happy 36 weeks its amazing how time flies for sure.

I had to laugh at your alcohol picture being pregnant

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Holy Smokes baby girl will be here before you know it!!! :)

The Busters said...

WOW, only one more month! Crazy! I love the pic. I can't wait for the World Cup!!!!

twondra said...

Wow, you sure have been busy! You look great!!

I can't believe how fast time is going!

Stace said...

I'm so happy for you... so sorry I've been so bad about commenting, but I do still stop by to see the progress of BOTH babies! I can't wait to see pictures of the rooms and the BABIES!!!!!!