Friday, June 4, 2010

It's Not Just About Me

Yesterday, I posted my thoughts on creating an interracial family. I'm excited about it, and ready for it. But even though it's T and I adopting this baby boy, others will be affected by our choices as well. I realize that having an interracial family will affect our extended families as well, and not just us.

I remember being young and asking my Dad what he would think if I married an black man. (I think I asked him this a lot back in the day, because at the time, I was very convinced that I would be marrying Scottie Pippen) My Dad always had the same answer for me. He wanted me to do what made me happy, but he would be concerned about our children and who they would identify with, being biracial.

Well, I'm afraid this adoption has pushed and challenged the family more than I could have ever realized. Not only am I bringing someone of a different race into my immediate family, but I'm also giving my parents a grandchild of a different race, my siblings a nephew of a different race, etc. And the most amazing thing of all of this? ALL of them are completely embracing it.

They all "oooh" and "ahhh" over his picture. They talk about the weekends at the cabin we'll have. They talk about how much they love him already. They have been nothing but completely accepting. I appreciate this so much from them. They have been completely onboard from day one.

And then there are T's parents, who at first didn't react how I would have liked. Because of religious reasons, they weren't completely on board with adoption. . . and definitely not a child from Ethiopia. Afterall, if we had to adopt, why didn't we do it from Egypt? These same people now have a picture of Khalil on their coffee table. They just bought him a beautiful crib, they are constantly buying our little guy clothes, and they can't quit talking about him. Wow.

I KNOW how loved Khalil already is. And he isn't just loved. . . he is accepted. Fully.

Sometimes to truly break down barriers, you just have to go ahead with things and force a little change. Who would have thought that my all white family, and T's all Egyptian family would fall so deeply in love with a little boy from Ethiopia? I'm going to be honest. . . I had my doubts. Yet everyone loves him and is anticipating his arrival just as much as T and I. And it just doesn't get any better than that.

13 comments:

scooping it up said...

I am so amazed T's parents have come around. What an amazing blessing!!!!

Kate said...

so awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved your post yesterday (though I think I got distracted by something and ended up not commenting..sorry) and I love this post today. What a family filled with love. Leah, your babies are going to be so blessed and loved and adored and enjoyed.

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

I am so so so happy that they came around, on your last post aobutit they weren't accepting at all and how truely wonderful they are now. We ahve alot of adoptions in the family so nobody cared they were just thrilled! one thing we had to think about which makes me sad becasue where I used to live this wouldn't have been a factor but where we live now is a small non diverse town and my husband in the beginning really didn't want to adopt a child of a different ethinicy becasue as he put it school is hard enough wihtou one more thing for kids to be mean about, when we decided on Guatemala we felt that Guatemala would fit in the easiest since there are some native americans and some mexicans around that make it a bit easier, but the wierd thing is is there is No black people or african american or whaterver you are suppose to say. It was sad for me moving here to see , where I grew up and lived there was a little of everyone and it was all fine, but I know as the kids get older and go to school it might be a whole lot harder living where we live and kids can be mean and it will break my heart for a child who is perfect to me to be hurt in any way. sorry I am rambling, one of the blogs I follow her two daughters from Guatemala are 9 and 13years and are now having issues with this and I find it heartbreaking. so any way just rambled on. Again I am just so happy your WHOLE family is now thrilled to meet your little boy.

Chelle said...

It is because he is a little boy who needs a good home with a good family who will love and accept him. How could they not be a part of that? Both of your families are loving people and obviously accepting to start with. From what you have blogged, I would be surprsied if either of your families handled this adoption any other way. He IS a part of your family. :)

Jewls said...

I was worried our babies wouldn't be as loved because they would be adopted. I think that they are extra special because it was so much harder for Z to get here. I wouldn't say he's loved more, but he's definitely loved as much, and probably spoiled more! ;)

Andrea said...

Love how God works things out. So glad to hear that T's family is on board...and sounds like rowing the boat with you! :o)

Kala said...

Your right, it doesn't get any better than that!!!

Raising Davis Darlings said...

I know Khalil is feeling the love all the over in Ethiopia. What a special little boy he is!!

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

:) Yay!!! So happy for your soon to be family of 4:)

Paula Keller said...

I know there is still a lot of racism in our society, that it's embedded and all... but stories like this give me hope that we ARE evolving and will accept others more as time goes on.


On a different note...
35 weeks! OH how our lives are getting ready to change!

BrandiB said...

I hear you! We didn't give up on our families coming around and they have and it's so wonderful. I cannot wait to see everyone's reaction to actually meet him one day!

J said...

I'm a new reader and I can relate to your blog post. My family is from the middle east and they had the same feelings as T's parents. I'm please to announce, like T's parents, they are all on board! It was so hard for my family at first because adoption was so foreign to my family.

gapbaby.blogspot.com